Male 

30-05-2010, 01:26 PM
thanks for that will try with the raw next time
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by mogi View Post
i dont know it was my breeder who advised me against feeding raw chicken and tripe something to do with the bacteria as she has lost puppies to it so i took her advise so can she have raw chicken etc as i want her to have a varied diet
Hi mogi very small weak puppies with immature immune systems can be susceptible to bacteria from a number of sources. Dogs tolerate bacteria on food very well and can eat all sorts of rubbish with no ill effects . They have a very strong acid content in their stomachs and this kills of most bacteria on food as this interesting article explains..

The environment in your dog's stomach is extremely acidic... about 1-2 PH. It would burn your hand if you were to touch it. This is way more acidic than human stomach acid which is about 5 PH.
Along with this acid, and some enzymes the stomach breaks the food down into a usable form. The lining of your dog's stomach is covered with a thick mucus. This prevents the stomach from digesting itself, due to the strong acid
http://www.dog-nutrition-naturally.c...digestion.html
when feeding raw (as with having any meat in the house )you need to exercise a little care and good household hygene to make sure human food is kept away from dog food and both your hands and work surfaces/knives/chopping board/floors etc are throughly cleaned .

My problem with feeding raw (chicken bones in particular) is having a bearded breed, the beard tends to retain the juices so I wash it frequently (not the whole dog just the beard) .
mogi
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-05-2010, 02:52 PM
i never knew that re the stomach acid its certainly made me think differently now will def include it in her diet thank you
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3