Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LillyRose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Poor Peke.

As Ben said, Pekes are not warm weather dogs as Cavs aren't.I have worried about Scarlett in this weather as she's a dark colouring.

I can't believe people think this is ok to do.As for opening a window, with the weather what it was at the weekend,there is no moving air.It was muggy and if there's no breeze, then no breeze is going to blow through the open window!

I suppose I'm tempted to say it's just common sense in this weather when you have a dog but it's evident not all us humans possess such gift.I think if some owners stopped to take a thought on what a day is like in the life of their dog/s' from time to time,they'd be a lot more attentive and such situations like these and the others we hear about, perhaps being minimalism.

Call me daft but I couldn't be 100% comfy sauntering around a shop for e.g, having a drink of water when need be,wearing my summer attire and knowing my dog was sat, loyally waiting in a red hot car from my return.

I'd be worried sick!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Very sad ....
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 06:17 PM
That's very sad
I never take my dogs aout in the car if it's hot. But I'm lucky in that I have so many nice walking areas around me.
I just can't believe someone would be so dim
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 09:19 PM
I've got Woody in the office with me tomorrow. I need to go straight form work to meet my brother at a garden centre, time critical. As I need to get a few bits while I'm there I'm going to drive 20 minutes out of my way to drop him home first, even though I'll only be 20 minutes and it's only about 15 degrees now.

It's just not worth the risk!!!

Also, while I'm on, can someone please let me know at what stage you know a dog is to hot? On the way back from Whitby Woody was panting the whole time, but we had aircon on and he had fresh cold water. He does get hot very easily, but tolerates it well. Is panting normal?
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Panting is normal. It's how they cool down as they can't sweat like us. However if they're panting excessively with their eyes bulging then you have a problem!!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 05:55 AM
Sorry, I meant is normal panting OK. My bad.

It's more a case of while he's in the boot and we're in the front, how do I know if he's just too hot?

We're getting sunscreens for the windows today for him as it does get hotter back there.
Boxacrazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Sorry, I meant is normal panting OK. My bad.

It's more a case of while he's in the boot and we're in the front, how do I know if he's just too hot?

We're getting sunscreens for the windows today for him as it does get hotter back there.
Might be worth having two temperature guages one in the front and one in the boot. See the difference in temperatures.

As some Air conditioning in cars takes a while to reach the boot area. My air con is in the front blowers and I think below my car seat to reach into the rear passenger seat area. But to my knowledge there is no air con vents in the rear boot area.

I got my car's rear windows and boot area tinted with the darkest tint that was legal. It does help keep the boot cooler.

Plus in the summer months I also use the frozen 2 litre pop bottles (water in them) and either place them in the car cage or either side of the cage and have the cage fans going.

I think you can tell by the dogs colour especially their tongues which will be a dark red and the gums may be pale.
They have thick saliva which can sometimes be sticky.

If you don't have a chewer there are cooler mats that you fill with cool water and they are just like a little mattress that the dog can lie on. Perhaps this would also be good for the boot of the car.

Another thing that I use when going to and from shows is the synthetic towels (like they use on cars etc) these hold water (so you just soak the towel in very cold water and you can store overnight in the fridge in a bag for extra coolness) and then use it as a cooling blankie for the dog to lie on.
If you are out for a day - then you can always pop spares in a cooler container/bag and then when you need one for the return journey it's been kept cool to use when going home.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 08:17 PM
I can remember years ago being in a car park with my Sister on a hot day and a little black Poodle shut in a car. We left a note on the windscreen saying somethink like "Scumbag owner-you have been reported to the RSPCA!!

A couple of years ago we were in Southwold on a really hot day and this elderly lady parked her car and left her Westie in. I shouted something across the road to her about not leaving the dog in a car on a hot day but she just ignored me. I have been in Waitrose on a hot day and the car next to mine had a dog shut in panting and looking distressed. I wrote the registration number down and the customer service lady announced it over the tannoy!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 10:32 PM
there is no excuse for this - people who do leave their dogs in the heat like this dont deserve them.

You wouldnt leave your baby in the car so dont leave your dog/. end of./
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2010, 12:49 PM
I have just been thinking, was this the same weekend when a woman had her baby on the beach in all that heat and baby got heat damage? What I am saying is, if people treat their babies like that , what chance have pets got......
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >