Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hamstaff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2005, 07:08 PM
TY hamstaff!!

You're welcome

Luke, there is always a good reason for colours being listed as non standard;the reason SBTs that are black and tan are discouraged is because black and tan is such a highly dominant gene that, if we bred for black and tan, there would soon bo NO pieds, NO reds, NO brindles etc. Liver is not wanted becuse it goes with liver pigmentation, ie brown nose etc and the SBT is supposed to have dark, black pigmentation.These regulations aren't just pulled up out of nowhere, there is always a sensible reason. And, it was not the KC who decided on these things, it was the old time SBT breeders who drew up the first standard.
It's like I said with the height and weight clauses in each breed standard, how would you tell one breed from another if there was no guidelines on their height, weight, colour etc?? How would you tell a Labrador from a Rottweiler if there were no stipulations as to colour, size, temperament, coat?
Without the breed standard, there is no breed.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Ty Sian,
you have parted the clouds for me, i actually see the point to KC registration and breed standards, my family we probably thank u 4 this.
But as i have said b4, i just dont like the way how some breeders deal with the pups that aern't to standard, cud u give any more info on this?
best wishes
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Hi Lu, most reputable breeders would not treat a pup that was not to standard any differently from one that is, except that they would probably endorse their pedigree so to discourage the new owners from breeding from it, but many breeders endorse all pup in the litter regardless of whether they meet the standard well or not. The breeders usually only lift endorsements once the dog has passed all it's health tests and is seen to be of sufficient quality to be bred from. Responsible breeders, KC or not, make sure that all their pups go to good homes regardless of quality and that they are there for the owners throughout the dog's life. One of the major benefits of KC registered dogs is that breeders can look back in the records and study the bitch and sire's pedigree to see if there were any faults, health issues in any of their ancestors, this is a very useful tools when looking to breed health pups free of hereditary illnesses. (some non-KC Breed Clubs also keep similar records).

You get good KC breeders and you get bad KC breeders, that is why it is important for owners to do their research before buying.

I should also mention, my Olive isn't necessarily to breed standard, but her breeder keeps regular contact with us and is always there if we have any questions.
Hamstaff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Can I ask you, Luke, exactly what you think happens to pups that aen't show quality?
Hamstaff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2005, 08:14 AM
Ok, well I'll tell you anyway
When I or anyone else I know, have a pup in a litter that is not show quality, I place it in a home with people looking for a pet! Simple as that. Very few pups go to true show homes, some buyers like the idea of showing and some just want to be able to say their dog is 'show quality' but the vast majority of people buying puppies are after a family pet, which is fine by me, I'd rather see one of my pups in a home where they are wanted just for being themselves.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-05-2005, 08:31 AM
I have a pup that is not show quality They are placed in homes just like all the other pups in the litter. Just because they are not show quality does not mean they are loved any less
Hamstaff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2005, 08:42 AM
Exactly Carole, unless a pup is born with a serious deformity or medical problem, it will go on to lead a perfectly nomal life as a happy pet
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-05-2005, 12:08 PM
well i did hear on a web siteabout dog breeding cruelty cases, that there was a breeder of Scottish Terriers and his dogs kept throwing weaten pups, and this breeder had them drowned at birth, also i know often in america miniature scnauzchers (sp?) are often destroyed if they are born white.
I am not sure whether these are souly true, but the thought of it disgraced me. And i know that it still does happen, the disposal of puppis that break the standard, it is just not that much of an open matter any more.
best wishes
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-05-2005, 12:30 PM
There will aways be bad breeders Luke, but the fact that they are KC registered isn't the issue, the KC have a set of principles and procedures that breeders have to adhere to and as long as the breeder meets these then a litter can be registered. Mismark pups can be registered with the KC as a non-standard colour. The Scottish Terrier breeder must have been a pr*ck, and I'm not sure why he would do it as wheaten is an acceptable colour for Scotties. I accept that some breeders do kill non-standard pups, but these are few and far between, and these breeders are just as likely to be non-KC breeders as KC breeders.
Ice_Queen
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-06-2005, 10:15 AM
The Irish Red and WHite setter has nearly been exstint twice already, having come back both times with the cross breeding of irish setter (which were bred from the red and whites!).

Unfortantly due to a health problem amount breeding of the breed has gone down because some dogs have been pulled compleatly from the breeding programs. It has never really been the most popular bred, and thats how we like it It will stay in exsistance, I still have many years ahead of me!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >