View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-05-2005, 02:26 PM
I have just read through this thread and am struck by how easy it is to jump to wrong conclusions, perhaps it is a good idea to pause and think before we rush to judge.
I have an open front garden so when I mow the lawn I tie my dog on a long lead to the dustbin so she can be with me and enjoy the sunshine, but will at the same time be safe from wandering off if I go in to answer the phone. Some passing person may get the wrong idea about my dog and think she spends her life out there. Secondly the RSPCA, they are not perfect but do not have an inexhaustible number of inspectors and so can not always send people out immediately, things would be a lot worse for many animals if they were not there at all.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
I have just read through this thread and am struck by how easy it is to jump to wrong conclusions, perhaps it is a good idea to pause and think before we rush to judge.
I have an open front garden so when I mow the lawn I tie my dog on a long lead to the dustbin so she can be with me and enjoy the sunshine, but will at the same time be safe from wandering off if I go in to answer the phone. Some passing person may get the wrong idea about my dog and think she spends her life out there. Secondly the RSPCA, they are not perfect but do not have an inexhaustible number of inspectors and so can not always send people out immediately, things would be a lot worse for many animals if they were not there at all.
This is so true because last year,the family who live nearby to me received a visit from the RSPCA because someone had reported them of neglecting their mastiff because it was always sitting in the bay window.It hadnt entered their heads that the dog actually enjoyed sitting there and the RSPCA officer concluded that the dog was in the best of health and NOT been neglected.

Sometimes you have to think twice and not go on first impressions.
Hamstaff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2005, 02:57 PM
Just proves what i said about KC registering, but what a horrible thing for a human to do!

What!!!
I have bred K.C registered Staffordshire Bull Terriers occasionally for 15 years, my dogs are not breeding machines. No dog of mine has ever had more than 3 litters,and, the same is true for almost every other breeder I know, the occasional exceptional brood may have had 4.
If, as you say, this 7 or 8 month old bitch is pregnant, then, I can assure you that her pups will not be KC regd, it is against KC regulations for a bitch to have pups before the age of 12 months.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-05-2005, 03:46 PM
Hello all,
dawn u r right this does sound suspicious, it turns out she was not in whelp, my mistake there, but was suffering from something that had gasteric in, i cant really remember, the tying up business, yes the dog had been left tethered for a few days, but as it was warm, this woman was told that she should just be more careful. Age, she is approxomatley 8 or 9 moyhs so, she also may be going through that skinny stage.
This info about what has happened since i rang the RSPCA, has coem from what this woman told a friend of my mums, but she was clear on one thing, this breeder simply laughed it off.

The main thing is that it was investigated, i know it was probably my (oh and by the way 3 other people,had complained) paranoi, but sometimes it is best to be a little over pecatious then look on.
Last month a JRT that had its tail cut off at 6 moths, now this, huh the people round by us, need a few lessons on keeping dogs, or any animals for that matter!
best wishes
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
I have an open front garden so when I mow the lawn I tie my dog on a long lead to the dustbin so she can be with me and enjoy the sunshine, but will at the same time be safe from wandering off if I go in to answer the phone. Some passing person may get the wrong idea about my dog and think she spends her life out there.

Good point Mini - or in Loki's case attack the lawn mower and put us all in danger
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2005, 05:17 PM
I have only just seen this thread - and I have to admit I read it differently from others, probably from naivity or inexperience

I think there are many inexperienced doggy people out there who think that the various KC schemes offer a guarantee that a breeder is reputable, and that the dogs are well cared for, puppies are raised well etc.

I learnt when looking for Molo that this is not always the case, and I think it is important that this message (that the KC is not responsible for the behaviour of members) should be spread as widely as possible, so that prosective puppy buyers can make informed choices; not ones based on mis-information. This is not to say that KC registered breeders are not reputable, but that some breeders who do not practice in such a selfless way can also breed KC registered puppies and be a KC registered breeder

Sorry to hijack the thread - I hope the bitch in question has been removed from any cruelty it may have experienced
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-05-2005, 06:35 PM
hi iwlass,
the fate of the irsih setter bitch remains to be seen, all i know is she is no longer at the property, she may be at this womans kennels, or she may have been seized, it isnt to clear yet?
best wishes
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2005, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Lu-1
Hello all,
dawn u r right this does sound suspicious, it turns out she was not in whelp, my mistake there, but was suffering from something that had gasteric in, i cant really remember, the tying up business, yes the dog had been left tethered for a few days, but as it was warm, this woman was told that she should just be more careful. Age, she is approxomatley 8 or 9 moyhs so, she also may be going through that skinny stage.
This info about what has happened since i rang the RSPCA, has coem from what this woman told a friend of my mums, but she was clear on one thing, this breeder simply laughed it off.

The main thing is that it was investigated, i know it was probably my (oh and by the way 3 other people,had complained) paranoi, but sometimes it is best to be a little over pecatious then look on.
Last month a JRT that had its tail cut off at 6 moths, now this, huh the people round by us, need a few lessons on keeping dogs, or any animals for that matter!
best wishes

Yes I quite agree with you Luke, its better to be safe than sorry. There is that much animal neglect in this country and if one of my neighbours was treating an animal cruelly I would be onto the RSPCA straight away
If she wasn't treating the animal cruelly then the RSPCA can apologise and leave it at that
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Ok i am getting the impretion that you dont like the KC, correct me if im wrong. The KC set the rules that the clubs and breeders are surposed to stick to. They state what tests are to be done on breeding and idealy all the breed, they dont say if you can breed or not, the only time the KC find out you are breeding is when you contact them ect. There are many breeders out there who I dont agree with how they keep there dogs but its nothing to do with the KC. The KC do everything they can (most of time) to help the breeds but it cant all be left to them.

Good on you on the other hand on reporting this matter to the RSPCA.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Luke, if this young bitch was indeed suffering from 'something with Gastric in it' as you have no doubt researched, she'll be dead, not seized or at the kennels. GDV kills dogs, I should know, I lost an Irish Setter to it.

Dawn R.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >