View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Small dogs: chihuahua, poms, jrt, border terrier etc.

Small/medium: staffy, EBT, prt, bedlington etc.

Medium: collie, lab, springer, setter etc.

Medium/large: rottie, dobermann, GSD (but GSD crosses over into large) etc.

Large: St Bernard, Great Dane, Akita etc.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 11:22 AM
i see small dogs as JR's staffies(breed standard size) and anything up to collie.
I think collies, labs etc as medium
Normal size gsds(sadie is small so would class her as borderline) rotties, weims, setters etc as large.
and Giant would be newfs, st's and great danes.
Natalia_leigh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2009, 11:34 AM
I think a collie as medium anything below small i think a boxer as medium to then anything above large the great dane st benard leonberger & newfie giant
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I guess if you added weight to it, things would be diff,
All the pet food manufacturers have had this same problem and SFAIK they all use weight as the deciding criteria.

Rule of thumb:-
Up to 5Kgs. Tiny
5 to 15 Kgs. Small
15 to 35 Kgs. Medium
35 to 55 Kgs. Large
55Kgs. & above Giant

Our two (Newfies) should be 55Kgs. making them large breed but in fact they are a tad overweight (OH spoils them ) so maybe they are giants certainly feels like when trying to hold them on a lead after they've seen a rabbit
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I`m always surprised when someone says Daisy is big because I think of her as fairly small (for a Shepherd).
I tend to think of bulk rather than height - Bernese are big - they take up so much room. And boisterous dogs seem big.
Labs down are medium
Westies down are small.
I see it like that too....
Emmalouise1508
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I see staffies as small too, must be like you say because we own bigger dogs we think everything else is small.
I must be odd then because I own 2 Yorkie's and I class staffies as small too I'm a huge fan of big dogs though, that might be why.

I see collies and GSD's etc as medium.

Then I see Rotties (probably because of their bulk), Dobermans, Mals etc as large.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I did too didn't I.

Before I met yours I'd seen enough rotti's, but not been up close and personal - its when I got my hands on Vinnie's head, I was just gobsmacked

I mean I can cup stumpy's head in my hands...no chance of that with a rotti....I think Vinnie's tongue is probably as wide as Stumpy's whole head

Generally I think of border collies (although of course there is quite a range in height within the breed) as being the small end of medium...anything below them is small. There are a lot of breeds that I would class as medium (ranging from medium-small to medium-large)

Probably any dog that I could stroke the back of without having to bend down I would class as big.
lol, vinnie, meaty heed..lol

when I run my hands over smaller dogs, I find them quite dainty in the head, {not the staffie though lol, they have heads like rotties}
some breeds have such a fine head with a longer muzzel it reminds me of a racing saddle on a bike,

many of the toy/small breeds feel very breakable in comparison to my lot.

strange as it may seem, I dont see JRT as dainty or breakable, prob because guss plays well with the rotties and seems a fairly solid wee chap, even though he looks dainty
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 03:17 PM
hmmm...sibes are classed as large breed,i see them as medium average male sibe weight 24kg,to me thats not large
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
lol, vinnie, meaty heed..lol

when I run my hands over smaller dogs, I find them quite dainty in the head, {not the staffie though lol, they have heads like rotties}
some breeds have such a fine head with a longer muzzel it reminds me of a racing saddle on a bike,

many of the toy/small breeds feel very breakable in comparison to my lot.

strange as it may seem, I dont see JRT as dainty or breakable, prob because guss plays well with the rotties and seems a fairly solid wee chap, even though he looks dainty
that's a good description. Pellow and Rye have the 'longest' heads I've ever met - either one would've made a tandem seat
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
that's a good description. Pellow and Rye have the 'longest' heads I've ever met - either one would've made a tandem seat
yup pellow and rye have racing seat heeds, lol. and yet they are a very big breed of dog,
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >