Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by cesky2000 View Post
Cesky Terriers definitely recognise their relations! The breed originates in the Czech Republic -and they also react to anyone speaking Czech to them, even the ones born in this country.
lol im gona roar at my lot in german the next time there naughty, see if it makes a diff....
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 09:04 PM
jake has never seen another BCxGSD so i have no idea if he would, but he doesnt seem to be any more interested in dogs that look like him, to any other...
cesky2000
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Are you saying that ALL Cesky Terriers born in this country will automatically recognised Czechoslovakian when spoken to them

The little puppy that lives round the corner from me, onlt recognizes the words "No Freddy" from his old lady owner...as thats all she says to him on her daily walks round the neighbourhood
Yes, they do all seem to react to someone speaking Czech (no such language as 'Czechoslovakian' - Czechs speak Czech, Slovaks speak Slovak. They are 2 separate countries! )

I did have a bitch that I swear thought her name was Olivia-no, as she was always into some sort of mischief
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by cesky2000 View Post
Yes, they do all seem to react to someone speaking Czech (no such language as 'Czechoslovakian' - Czechs speak Czech, Slovaks speak Slovak. They are 2 separate countries! )

I did have a bitch that I swear thought her name was Olivia-no, as she was always into some sort of mischief
Thanks for pointing out the language mistake,

I thought you were joking when you said the Cesky can understand Czech are you seriously saying that a breed can understand the language of its origan Funny, I always understood a dog does not understand "language", its more to do with tone of voice.

May be if the word spoken in " Czech" bares a resemblance (tone wise) to the word in English, the dog picks up on the tone and body language, rarther than the language spoken.

Must try a bit of German on my lot
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

27-10-2009, 09:46 AM
I think my lot recognise kindred spirits so to speak, they greet all boisterous dogs with enthusiasm, whether it be another Dobermann, Boxer. Staffy or mad terrier. Any sedate dogs of the same breed are just ignored. They just like dogs that wanna have fun anything else is usually given a quick glance and ignored.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 10:56 AM
my lot definately recognise other mals or even huskies, they get very excited when they see one out walking, far more so than seeing another breed when out.

Mo
Meg
Supervisor

27-10-2009, 11:00 AM
It is difficult to say if dogs recognise their own breed or if we react differently to seeing one of our 'chosen breed' and this is conveyed to the dog (I always get more excited when I see a Mini than I do with other breeds ).

If they actually do recognise their own kind, as dogs have no awareness of self but do have a memory I can only assume when they see another of their own breed it awakens memories of their dam.
cesky2000
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Thanks for pointing out the language mistake,

I thought you were joking when you said the Cesky can understand Czech are you seriously saying that a breed can understand the language of its origan Funny, I always understood a dog does not understand "language", its more to do with tone of voice.

May be if the word spoken in " Czech" bares a resemblance (tone wise) to the word in English, the dog picks up on the tone and body language, rarther than the language spoken.

Must try a bit of German on my lot
Yes, I'm sure it is the sound of the language that the animals respond to, rather than the words themselves - Czech sounds completely different to English. I'm sure that if someone spoke Slovak, Polish, even Russian - in fact any of the Slavic languages, the reaction would be the same. I think they are all quite 'dog friendly' tongues.

In an emergency I would always shout 'Zustan' (pronounced 'zooshtan') rather than 'stay' at one of mine - it has more urgency, and gets a quicker reaction.
westiebabe
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-10-2009, 01:07 AM
Oscar definitely seems to recognise other Westies when we're out - and they always seem to make a beeline for him too.

So I would say 'Yes'
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Mine all know their own breed & my Dax was only interested in playing with other GSDs no other breed. None of the others were/are so breed orientated but they still show more pleasure in their own breed. I had three litter brothers once who disliked each other when ever they met, but were quite happy with other GSD males.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >