Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Staffordshire Bull Terriers:
Pros:
Great with kids
very affectionate
laid back and adaptable ( happy to lie on the sofa but equally happy charging about the garden)
think they are people, so act like them.
Wonderful family dogs
cheeky, happy, lovely big smiles
easy to keep -short coated - no need for grooming
dont like the rain ( so no need to traipse about in torrential weather as they just wont come with you !! LOL )

Cons:
Can be bad with other dogs
General public either love them or hate them, no inbetweens, so attitude is very divided when meeting people out walking.

Most of all victim of their success and wanted/owned by all the wrong sorts so sadly lots of badly behaved ones out there.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Shibas

Pros: feisty, full of character, oiky, vocal, independent
Cons: no recall - what's that?

bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Cane Corsos:

Pros: Very very loving and loyal to family, intelligent and easy to train, loves affection, is also very fun and protective. They are also (IMO) absolutely stunning. Many people have approached us to ask about them and what they are. Many wonderful comments made about them.

Cons: Shedding, can have assertive/dominance (or whatever) behaviour towards other dogs. I have also seen people cross the road when they see my two
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Border Collies

Pro's, intelligent, keen to learn, thinkers & Solvers, high energy, fast, fit, listeners, loving, funny, loyal, can be a shadow to owner alert, good guard dogs, and munchable....oh yes very munchable.

Con's ..... hard to train OUT OF bad habits (make that almost impossiable)
Wilful if not mentally exercised....and will have YOU trained in half the time it takes YOU to train them
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
Cons - obsession with the water bowl!
I've only had my puppy 6 weeks so can't say too much, but he is mental for his water bowl! The first time he brought it through to us it was very cute. When he does it 10-15 times a day (when it's full) it's not so cute
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
German Shepherds:
Pro: they are intelligent and adore their mummy
Cons: they are intelligent and adore their mummy

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2009, 07:39 AM
BSD

Pros: adore their family, want to be with you all the time, like to interact; fairly easy to train, (but you do need a sense of humour), good watchdogs; alert; faithful and intelligent.

Cons: high chase drive, want to be with you all the time which can lead to anxiety problems if left for too long; nosey ; have an unnerving habit to the uninitiated of racing full pelt up to look at things (dogs, humans, objects) and stopping dead.Can be very barky and get very worked up.

Some of these habits do need to be addressed with training and good basic groundwork, eg I worked very hard on chase recall and being able to be left, plus other stuff

Wys
x
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
I've only had my puppy 6 weeks so can't say too much, but he is mental for his water bowl! The first time he brought it through to us it was very cute. When he does it 10-15 times a day (when it's full) it's not so cute
Ela used to carry hers around even when full of water, we even tried a heavy crock bowl but it made no difference. Raina puts her to front paws in and 'digs' the water out
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Pros of a GSD they are all different & keep you alert & learning, none of mine have been the same even mother's & daughters.Most however have a great capacity for learning.
Cons you have to keep on having another one to learn more, & you keep finding you're not as expert as you thought.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Pro's: Easy to train, loyal, affectionate, never moody, you always know exactly where they are (right beside you usually or under your feet!)

Con's: Very gobby, will guard anything especially you making it hard to make friends, always on the go (Georgie being an exception to this rule!) You have no sanctuary anywhere with one of these around! Like to have the last word if possible!

I still like my con's though!!!!
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >