register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: would you ever leave your child(or someone elses) alone with your dog?
No, never, no matter whos child 67 54.03%
Yes, but only my own child and dog 48 38.71%
yes, anyones child with my dog 2 1.61%
other answer (list in thread) 7 5.65%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2009, 02:28 PM
All these dog attacks are dogs who don`t know or live with the child. So I`ve heard nothing to make me not trust my dogs with my kids.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-10-2009, 04:02 PM
I happily leave my 3 with the dogs as I know my children and my dogs. They all have respect for the dogs but saying this I am never far away and if I leave the room the dogs usually come too But I would never ever leave them with anyone elses child.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2009, 04:15 PM
I would never leave any of my dogs with any child, I trust my dogs, I do not trust children QED
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2009, 04:20 PM
It is possible to train children as well as dogs, you know Joedee UK
btw - again it is turning out that these dogs were not exactly family pets in a nice home....
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
It is possible to train children as well as dogs, you know Joedee UK
btw - again it is turning out that these dogs were not exactly family pets in a nice home....
I know, but not met a kid yet that responded to a clicker & livercake LOLOLOLOL
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2009, 04:40 PM
I ultimately trust my dog and he has proven himself time and again, I am aware of the signs of unhappiness in a dog so always keep an eye on that. However from day 1 Bruno has been an absolute star and couldnt ask for anythin better. I have never had any worries with them, and I will leave them in a room together whilst I go and make the tea etc, but I nip in to check on them and it mostly involves luca watching a DVD and bruno snoring so nothing to worry me too much.

Briuno usually sits outside the shower when I am in it and when Luca was little I used to sit him in his bouncy chair in the bathroom whilst I had a shower etc so was not an issue.

They play in the garden together, and I keep an eye on them from the house or whilst i potter round the garden but I dont spend the whole time right beside them

I wouldnt leave Bruno with anyone else kids and too tend to get him to come with me when I have other kids in the house, not due to him, more due to them and like someone else said its sods law that bruno would end up snogging someone else kid as he likes to do that !!

I do think that in most of these situations you here about the children are left with other peoples dogs and thats where most of the attacks happen as the dogs are just not used to children. As a parent though I wouldnt leave my child with a dog I wasnt overly familiar with.

But I have found that there is always more to the story than meets the eye .....

its just being sensible, and whilst some people do think that being sensible is never ever leaving your child alone not even for a second - I dont think thats an easy way to live. I am happy to nip to the loo and leave them in the room together, the doors are always open, I dont for a second believe that Bruno's first reaction if Luca did anything he didnt like - would be to attack - he would move away first and just come and find me.

As someone else pointed out Luca could get into far more trouble with some of his daredevil stunts than anything with bruno....
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2009, 04:56 PM
At one time with certain of my dogs I would have answered differently.

I don't have any kids but have a really close friend who I see often and her 3 boys were brought up with my Boxers in fact the youngest used to handle one at shows in both breed and agility. I trusted that dog totally with those kids but wouldn't have let them have the same freedom with my other Boxers. Not because I thought the dogs and boys would upset each other but because of other dogs reactions to the Boxers.

Now the years have gone on and those boys are grown up and have kids of their own. My 2 present Beardies haven't had as much contact with the girls and also Cava my older Beardie is large and bouncy so it's only been as the girls have got taller that I have let the dogs wander freely when they visit.

They were here today with their mum and their own rescue pup and a great time was had by all Cava adores the girls and follows them about and Zymi was having great fun supervising their drawings I still would never leave them alone for any length of time but that's just me being cautious because if anything did go wrong it would be my fault

Later we went into the garden and my 2 and Kai the pup had a great time racing about while the girls watched
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Not with my dogs. Bongo is great with kids, and Roland is showing promise, but they do get too excited about high-pitched noises to be trusted 100%. I'm always pleased to see them play with kids, but under supervision, and with very clear rules on both sides.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2009, 08:38 PM
I personally would leave any child alone with Jess so long as the doors were open so Jess had an escape route if the kid got too much. I trust her implicitly with people.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
Following from comments made on the dog attack thread, and also the same comments mad at other times on this forum..i thought i would get peoples views on children and dogs together.

What do you think is acceptable...either in your own home or visiting etc.

For instance, i have no concerns with leaving noah with my 2 dogs. Obviously its not for long- just if i pop upstairs then i dont think twice about leaving them in the lounge together... its the same if im say, washing up in the kitchen or cooking- the doors are open so the dogs and noah can come in and out but they usually stay together in the lounge.

If i thought for one minute either noah was going to bother the dogs(he has no real interest in them) or the dogs would act in any way aggressive towards him then i wouldnt do it and would actually struggle to have the dogs in the house with him.

I would say i know my dogs well enough to see any warning signs- which ive never seen as noah doesnt bother with them.
noah is 2 1/2yrs btw

so would you ever leave your child alone with your dog?

p.s. i would never allow noah unsupervised contact with a dog other than mine.
You many be able to see any warning signs, but can your 2 yr old, see them when you leave him in the room with the dog.

I would never leave a toddler alone with ANY dog, no matter how much I thought I trusted it..

Older children, yes/maybe?? but toddlers absolutely not.
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »