View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-10-2009, 08:55 PM
My philosophy is really simple, chill, relax. have fun and enjoy and that's exactly what we do. I teach my dogs manners for the sake of mine and everyone elses wellbeing, so yes they wait at doorways etc I never lose my temper with them but I am quite strict with what's expected. Everything they learn is taught in a fun way, there are always rewards. I basically treat them like a 5 year old child, they push the boundaries sometimes but basically they want to please me cos that way life is so much fun, I laugh a lot when with my dogs.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 04:38 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
My philosophy is really simple, chill, relax. have fun and enjoy and that's exactly what we do. I teach my dogs manners for the sake of mine and everyone elses wellbeing, so yes they wait at doorways etc I never lose my temper with them but I am quite strict with what's expected. Everything they learn is taught in a fun way, there are always rewards. I basically treat them like a 5 year old child, they push the boundaries sometimes but basically they want to please me cos that way life is so much fun, I laugh a lot when with my dogs.

Good post, this sounds like me, though im not so insistent on good manners probaley, im not bothered about the door thing etc, however i do have some rules i am strict on.

eg, no fighting, no biting me, no resource guarding, no walking on the table or kitchen surfaces, must come back when called. must obey each command that they know when asked.

i dont think it matters "what" the rules are (that is to suit the person), just as long as you are consistent!!!!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 05:30 AM
Well here it's respect, calmness, enjoyment, understanding,a bond between them and us,and no physical punishment.

Going through doors before me before me is allowed, as the dogs are working with the Foster children too and we rely on them to ''tell'' and ''show me'' so if one of them is barking at me in a ''tell'' way I ask them to ''show me then'' so they do go through the door before me as they are taking me to where they want me to see. (if that makes sense)

None of my dogs have ever been hit, by hand or anything else, they have happy enjoyment play/training as they are assessed every 12 months by the Fostering Agency and this has to be a joyful thing for them, not cowering in the corner experience, as they are assessed by strangers.

Recall is either a whistle from Patrick or a click of the lead which saves yelling a screaming across wide open spaces

They are allowed to be dogs outside the home, as age appropiate has to be remembered ie., a 22 month old is allowed to run and enjoy himself, I am not into teaching him to stay close at my every move, but he does come close and wait when required as do the others.
In house they are calm and well mannered around children/visitors etc.,

If something goes wrong, them I reprimand myself as I need to go back to basic's, I do not blame the dog, as somewhere my training/communications went wrong.

They are taught to communicate what they want/listen to what I want.
No Alpha leader, but they have respect ie, firmness in my voice usually does the trick if they cock a deaf un

They are taught not to cross the front door boundry as our front door is a revolving door with the comings and going.

There must be more, but fun calmness and understanding with respect is important here.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3