Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by BWS View Post
can I ask why everyone uses crates ? its just I have never used one at all and never had any problems and as a rescue written into our terms of adoption we dont allow the use of them but it seems lots of you do use them I just wondered why ?
I am surprised , you insist no crateS, when rescuing.

Surely with so many Boxers needing new homes, to dismiss an owner because they use crates, is cutting down good homes.

Crated are not cruel, its how you use them

Surely its down to the amount of time a dog is left alone , that should be a priority, rather than being left in a crate for an hr or so.

Many dogs spend hrs and hrs a day confined to a kitchen, or similar, never getting any stimulation or exersice... is that better than it being in a crate for 1 hr a day or sleeping in it at night

I have Boxers, and they have all been crate trained.. they no longer use them, but I would not hesitate using them again with anew pup.

A crate (used correctly) is a safe haven for a pup/dog, it confines a boisterous pup from an older , when it needs a bit of piece.

It helps with toilet training/ settling a pup down, and keeps them free from harming themselves when you go out.

No dog or pup should ever be left in a crate for longer than 3 hrs at a time. less if its a puppy..

They should not be used to lock a dog away,

They should not be used to lock a dog away from you when you are at home.

You can restrict freedom on a dog , in far worse ways , than using a crate.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 12:08 PM
I have crate trained all my Chis and I advise new owners of my dogs' puppies, to get a crate (in fact I pretty much insist on it). Puppies (imo) need a safe place. If a puppy has all it's needs catered for (i.e. water, toys, nylabones and so on) their crate should be a place for rest and relaxation. I've never had a puppy that is unhappy about being put in their crate.

When I bought my own dogs in, they were all crate trained to sleep downstairs. I don't allow dogs in bedrooms (have a severely asthmatic Daughter). I have NEVER had a bad night with any pup. I make sure that before they are put in their crate at night, they have got well used to it during the day and see it as their little safe place. I also make sure they are tired and ready for sleep (having had a little play in the lounge before bed).
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 12:14 PM
on my bed

millie slept in my room/on my bed from the day we got her...

she slept in the kitchen/crate etc in the day...

hth
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Everyone is different I guess, I like to have my pups in my room for a week or 2 'til they settle as I personally don't feel it's fair taking a pup from all the company of it's litter mates and siblings and then putting it on it's own. I also feel it helps the bonding process. Now I have 4 dogs, my last pup was only in my room a few nights and then put with the company of the others (but crated) and she was absolutely fine. They all sleep downstairs now except on odd occasions, like if I feel I need a cuddle or they are poorly then they sleep in my bed.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3