Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
It says last summer the Royal Mail warned owners to control their dogs , or face legal action and a delivery ban, I'd rather have a delivery ban than have my dogs sprayed with Mace !
How did they warn owners ? I never got any leaflet or anything...
As I understand it, it is only owners of dogs that they've already had a problem with who got the warning.

There is also the issue of loose dogs. You are looking at this from the view of a responsible owner, but the postie will come across hundreds of dogs in their working life and unfortunately many will not be responsible.

Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
I have just spoke to the postie at the shop and he doesn't even know about the issue of the mace spray but said they had used a high pitched warning beeper before, but not a pepper spray...
The article says it has been issued to posties in Lothian (and it is a peppermint spray, NOT a pepper spray).
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Good for them. Owners of aggressive dogs need to keep their animals contained. A postman or woman is just doing their job; why should they not be allowed to defend themselves? I think some people are jumping to the conclusion that if a dog so much as woofs at a postie, that they are going to get a face full of mace. Unlikely. Most postmen/women are savvy enough to know the houses with the aggressive dogs in.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Peppermint is quite acceptable to me, but is it pepper, mace or p'mint, please?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Our side/back gate has 2 very visible signs saying

CAUTION: LOOSE DOGS

and

DO NOT OPEN THE GATE

However, the number of delivery people who try the front door, and then go through the side/back gate (as no-one is answering the door), when the dogs are out and barking at them, then run away in terror is unbelievable...

I'd hate for the dogs to be 'sprayed' in this kind of circumstance, however, can see why they would want to carry this sort of protection.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post

and

DO NOT OPEN THE GATE

However, the number of delivery people who try the front door, and then go through the side/back gate (as no-one is answering the door), when the dogs are out and barking at them, then run away in terror is unbelievable...

I'd hate for the dogs to be 'sprayed' in this kind of circumstance, however, can see why they would want to carry this sort of protection.
I'm surprised they still do that. We have never had a delivery person try and come around the back, and we get pretty much everything delivered. On the rare instances no one is in, they usually leave whatever it is with the neighbors. I would be very peeved off if someone came around the back without permission.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2009, 10:39 AM
I suppose spraying it through a letter box would actually be an offence though?
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post

and

DO NOT OPEN THE GATE

We've started padlocking our side gate. It has a sign and the window cleaners know we have dogs but it makes no difference. Dale is glad to see anyone but Chip barks quite aggressively at them. He doesn't like the ladders. I don't think he'd touch them but......It annoys me that they won't ring the doorbell so I can call the dogs in or go out myself to make sure Chip behaves.
My other gripe is with the idiot who delivers the dog food. I tried introducing him to Chip. Chip barked but sat when told. However the man said 'Oh they like to play' and started flapping his arms and barking back Then he ran round the garden making noises with Chip chasing him. he really thought it was all good fun. While I'm being a real kill joy and trying to stop him
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
Peppermint is quite acceptable to me, but is it pepper, mace or p'mint, please?
The spray that they are issuing (and this is only Lothian posties as far as I'm aware, not across the whole country) is a peppermint spray. (I posted the link to the article in an earlier post).
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2009, 10:48 AM
luckily, ive never had a problem with dogs and posties. sam never bothered with the one that delivered to us and would often meet him when we were out for walks and the postie always gave him treats so sam loved meeting him lol. and now with jake, he has never seen the postie lol. but jake loves everyone so i have no doubt that he would love the postie lol, when we get deliveries jake greets the person like they are a long lost friend! i really hope he keeps this up as he gets older lol, im sure he will though

i understand though why posties would want protection, not every dog is friendly to them and there are so many irresonsible owners out there. i just worry the posties would abuse it, just as there are loads of irresponsible dog owners there are also many irresponsible people who would want to abuse it... if anyone sprayed jake, they would get sprayed back where they would not like it!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2009, 10:49 AM
My concern is misuse by dog hating posties. Also I would query why peppermint spray would 'diasble' the dog for 20 minutes. That is rather extreme for peppermint!
Becky
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >