View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Great post...after your scare with Zena, I am defo more careful with Stinky n Toro, taking them out later, ect...thanks Helena x
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 03:54 PM
I've spent the whole of this lovely, sunny hot day indoors!!!

I tried to sit in the sun earlier but Woody just wanted to be near me and after his operation this morning and this thread I was really worried about him being in the heat, especially as he still hasn't drunk anything.

It's the fact that it happened to Zena in 5 minutes that has me worried about how quickly it can happen!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Drinking is the most important part from what I can gather with this heatstroke, so maybe go and fill a nice big cold pudding basin type bowl up, and he'll be more inclined to dunk his face in it, thereby cooling the most important mechanism they have, i.e. their mouth (along with the paws apparently!), plus it'll encourage him to drink when it's fresh and cold. I use buckets, small bowls get too stale and warm in this weather, and again, using a bucket, they tend to stick their whole nose in the cold water.

We had the air con on 18deg all afternoon and the whole ground floor is just gorgeous and cool, but I just opened the french doors to give them a wee and some fresh air, filled the pool and put it on the decking out there, Georgie immediately went in it, walked through it, and Zena had a good splash around and a hosing down, and then, I couldn't believe it, she has come back indoors, which is unlike this little outdoor girl, and the decking is not only covered in a roller blind from the wall, but also the back is in shade now!! Boy it's hot down Sarf today, I daren't open the door to the garden where the sun is, and all the blinds are shut, this is getting ridiculous on a lovely sunny day that we're shutting ourselves in like this!

This is the time of day when Zena would normally be out in that sunny garden lying in the shade, but I just daren't risk it, in case she finds another sunny spot to lie in. I suppose puppies aren't clued up enough to know about lying in the sun, coz all of my other dogs have never done it, and considering puppies are more susceptable, then I assume that's why?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 04:16 PM
I bet Zena will be more clued up now, I reckon she learnt her lesson ;o)

I have filled his bowl with ice, offered him ice, sat down and held it in my hands, poured cold water form a water can into his bowl in front of me and enticed him with the hose. He's just not interested.

He isn't panting and has been in the shade/indoors all day so he should be OK but I'm keeping a close eye on him.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 04:28 PM
If he's not panting, things are fine!! It was the panting that made me get so suspiscious coz it was a different kind of panting, with the pushed out breathing (forgotten the term for that!), but I know it's a sign of pain and stress. I know after sedation they're not very inclined to eat or drink come to that, but as long as he's had enough fluids and is NOT panting at rest, he should be fine, he'll drink when he's ready I'm sure. There is a tendency to throw it back up shortly after sedation, same as with humans, that's why they only allow us little sips of water after an op, until it's all out of the system.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 04:31 PM
OK, thanks. Oh they are a worry these pups!!
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

27-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Brilliant post, Helena. Great info there.

Many thanks for sharing and hope Zena is all better now - big hugs to her and to Georgie and doggy licks from Loki to both. Hugs to you as well.

Take care xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks Rose, it's the best one I could find with the most info, although the bright red tongue syndrome isn't specified as a classic symptom here (although it is on other sites), but going on what I saw with Zena, that came later, and later is not good, coz it could be too late if you don't act quickly enough to get that temperature down enough to stop the organs giving up.

Another thing to remember is, the wet towels are good, but you must NEVER leave them lying on the dog because that will stop the heat escaping! YOu only use them to dampen the dog down, and stuffing one in the groin area is brilliant for instantly cooling down the blood, but again, not to be left there, otherwise the heat just cannot escape.

I hope nobody has to refer to these symptoms, but it's invaluable to know them I think, coz you just never know.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks for posting this, Helena. This is something I'm very aware of and it does worry me!
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

27-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Thank you Helena for the further info. I never take Loki out in the hot sun, nor let her sit out in the veranda either. It is good though to know the symptoms.

Many thanks again, Helena You're tops!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >