Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by macapaca View Post
Found chicken wings in tesco and gave him one today. He wasn't sure what to do with it at first and licked it for a while then started to tentatively bite around the edges then crunch crunch (I held my breath) he loved it and was fine so I have made a good start I think. Looked on TPMS and Landywoods and found them to be informative, thanks. Problem is you have to bulk buy and I don't have much freezer room but it has given me some ideas.

Do you have any large pet stores nearish to you? like a pets at home, kennelgate etc? If so most of those places have freezers of raw meats for sale, they normally do a few varietys like lamb, beef, chicken, and tripe.
Be warned though, if you haven't fed tripe before..hold your nose once you open that packet as it STINKS!!
But dogs love it
macapaca
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Yes theres a pets at home not too far away, will go and have a look and get some tripe to try. He wolfed down some liver this morning and would have like more but thanks to information received on this forum i will keep it as 10% of his diet. Must admit, this raw feeding lark will take some getting used to on my part because I never like handlling raw meat, its a relief to see him eat and enjoying his food at last so I will have to get used to it. He's still itchy though but its early days
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Found chicken wings in tesco and gave him one today. He wasn't sure what to do with it at first and licked it for a while then started to tentatively bite around the edges then crunch crunch (I held my breath) he loved it and was fine so I have made a good start I think. Looked on TPMS and Landywoods and found them to be informative, thanks. Problem is you have to bulk buy and I don't have much freezer room but it has given me some ideas.
Get yourself on freecycle, there are always freezers coming up on there...

There is DAF foods as well but I'm not sure on the quantity you have to order as they don't deliver to Brum.

Ask your butcher if they do pet mince as well. One of my local butchers does pet mince for 30p a pound and knuckle bones (excellent for cleaning teeth) for 30p.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Yes theres a pets at home not too far away, will go and have a look and get some tripe to try. He wolfed down some liver this morning and would have like more but thanks to information received on this forum i will keep it as 10% of his diet. Must admit, this raw feeding lark will take some getting used to on my part because I never like handlling raw meat, its a relief to see him eat and enjoying his food at last so I will have to get used to it. He's still itchy though but its early days

When I first starting feeding raw, I put marigolds on before going to the meat lol, now however, I just pick it up and it doesn't bother me. You get used to it fairly quickly.

Have you thought about putting oil (fish oil is probs better) with his food to help his skin and coat?

So glad it is coming together
macapaca
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Been giving him evening primrose oil cos a TT breeder suggested it but might try fish oil as well. If I get a knuckle bone, is it safe? O dear I am a novice aren't I
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Been giving him evening primrose oil cos a TT breeder suggested it but might try fish oil as well. If I get a knuckle bone, is it safe? O dear I am a novice aren't I
It is fine as long as it isn't cooked.

NEVER feed cooked bones as these will splinter and cause serious damage, however, when they are raw, they crumble, so won't cause any problems (still supervise as with anything though)
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3