Female 

27-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Michael barks when I blow in his face does this count lol
ATD x
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2009, 12:49 PM
I taught my lad to speak on command by much the same method as a couple of others here - I would stand with his toy and wind him up, then when he expected me to throw it I hid it behind my back. I asked him to speak several times whilst winding him up in this way, didn't take him long to get it and instantly he did, he was rewarded with the toy. He absolutely loves this exercise!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 02:03 PM
I tried using a toy with vinnie, all he would do was give me a high pitched, yip...

but the creepy method gave me a good deep belly rumble and a roar. all be it while hes running backwards lol
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply to this thread.

Also, thanks for the videos ... but I can't view them My connection is too slow unfortunately

I will persevere for a while with the toy teasing method and see whether this will work eventually.

Ramble - I don't clicker train, but thanks for the tip (in case I decide to try).

Skilaki - you make a very good point at the end of your post, in that I really want Yogi to bark *at* someone when I ask him to speak, and not turn to me and speak.

When I ask Moss to speak, he tends to circle, barking into the air, rather than at anyone in particular.

So, has anyone who has trained a "speak", taught it in such a way that the dog barks at a would-be intruder, aggressor or whatever? If so, how do you direct the bark?

Thanks
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2009, 02:22 PM
The first few times, Luc would make the barking motions but no sound would come out but he got rewarded anyway No problem with the sound now
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2009, 02:30 PM
As in a bark and hold Moobli? If you teach the speak command it's more straightforward but I think you'll probably need a helper or decoy to focus the bark at in training. Otherwise, in the past I have encouraged my dogs to bark at an unknown or uninvited presence by asking them 'who's there'? in a low almost whispered tone, that worked very well.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
As in a bark and hold Moobli? If you teach the speak command it's more straightforward but I think you'll probably need a helper or decoy to focus the bark at in training. Otherwise, in the past I have encouraged my dogs to bark at an unknown or uninvited presence by asking them 'who's there'? in a low almost whispered tone, that worked very well.
Thanks Magic - helpful advice. I guess I could use someone the dog already knows as a decoy?
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 04:23 PM
To get the dog to bark at someone on command.. you are teaching to 'act away'... I taught Selkie to do this, she can do all her commands to someone else with her back to me... First you have to teach the command to yourself, so they understand "Speak" Means bark... Then you get a friend to hold the treat and you teach "away" or "go to" The friend then has the treat and shows the dog that they have it. But from behind them, you give the command.

The first couple of times you do this, they will spin and look at you when you command them, but you ignore this and again your friend gets their attention and turns them around, you command "away".. then "sit" As soon as the dog sits, the friend treats them. After a while, the dog will stop turning and looking at you when you say the command and will happily 'act' to whoever you directed them to act 'away' to.

I don't use clicker training... But have still managed to teach these commands. You just need to make it clear when the dog has done it right and reward straight away, which is what the clicker does... Reward positive behaviour and ignore unwanted behaviour.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Thanks Magpye - that sounds as though it would work. Will try it.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Moobli, what scenario would you like to train Yogi for? and how old is he and is he toy motivated? If he's soft natured, doesn't feel threatened when he is out with you (cos you're looking after him), and he has other dogs in the company who do the barking for him - why should he or how can he be motivated to? Is he a young gsd? cos if he is - enjoy the silence lol He sounds like a young, laid back and switched on cookie from what you've said, maybe he just needs a little more time to mature??

Can't offer more than that for now, it's easy enough to train if the dog is toy motivated, if he's not it's outwith my experience. As with my previous gsds and the 'who's there'? was utilised in a real situation which the dogs pick up very very quickly - a word of warning there though - you need to have very good ob/control for when you release them on that command.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3