Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
So if my dog drags his bottom on the floor, it might not just be worms ? not that he has ever had worms, i worm him on a regular basis. thanks for that. you learn somthing new every day on dogsey.
just wondering , what are the anal glands used for, is it scent marking?
Could be many things, could be worms but more often than not it's the anal glands and the dog is attempting to empty them. Also excessive licking down there. This I learned not from the net but from experience with 2 of my dogs and different bowel problems. Both dogs poo was loose for months and both had anal gland problems and both did the scooting. Don't feel old, feel lucky you have never came across this problem with your own dogs!

Yes the anal glands are for scenting, this is why dogs sniff each other's bottoms! They carry their own unique smell apparently and a bit is released when they pee and poo. Then other dogs will pick it up when sniffing about and if/when they finally meet they can but a face (or bottom!) to the pee/poo.

Obviously in their wild cousins it is used so other's know whos territory is where and when they are invading and so on.
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2009, 12:46 AM
when i first read this thread i went looking in the articles section and coudn't find anything about anal glands, or was i looking in the wrong place? if there isn't an article it would be great if one of you more informed dogsey members could do one for people like me so we can become more aware.

thanks
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 12:50 AM
I'm not sure but you should post it in the suggestions bit and someone will let you know. Good idea. x
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2009, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by random View Post
I'm not sure but you should post it in the suggestions bit and someone will let you know. Good idea. x
Sorry but where will i find the suggestion bit?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Fudge had blocked anal glands for a while and they emptied eventually on their own but we did take her to the vets to get it all checked out. I bought some bran from a health food store and poured a little in with her food. If his stools are firm they should be emptying naturally but sometimes they need a little hand!
The first two are always firm. Later in the afternoon he may have one or two loose ones, especially when exercising. Is this why the smell is really bad in the evening?

Oh maaaaaaaaaan Pidge wait 'til the vet empties them, if you think you're gonna be sick now...
NOT helping!!

Could be many things, could be worms but more often than not it's the anal glands and the dog is attempting to empty them. Also excessive licking down there. This I learned not from the net but from experience with 2 of my dogs and different bowel problems. Both dogs poo was loose for months and both had anal gland problems and both did the scooting. Don't feel old, feel lucky you have never came across this problem with your own dogs!

Yes the anal glands are for scenting, this is why dogs sniff each other's bottoms! They carry their own unique smell apparently and a bit is released when they pee and poo. Then other dogs will pick it up when sniffing about and if/when they finally meet they can but a face (or bottom!) to the pee/poo.

Obviously in their wild cousins it is used so other's know whos territory is where and when they are invading and so on.
So Woody's unique smell is "rotting fish on a hot summer's day"? Nice.
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Some people find by adding the roughage in their diet it helps to firm up the poos so the glands will empty themselves but it doesn't allways help if the glands are in the wrong place like all 3 of mine are
My vet showed me how to do it so I didn't have to keep taking them, though it isn't a very nice job to do.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi Pidge, I had this trouble when Pebbles was a pup. Every now and then, she'd come up with this awful smell and boy, was it HORRIBLE (like you say, rotting fish on a hot summer's day just about sums it up). Anyway, apart from the odd scoot across the floor, no other probs. I was a member on a Chi Forum at that time and someone said anal glands need emptying, so went along to Vets. The Nurse told me that so long as Pebbs was only doing the occasional scoot and had no other probs but the smell, the anal glands were emptying themselves, so no need for action. Took her word for it and within a week or two no more smell or scooting. Every now and then, she will have a scoot, fishy smell to follow and then she's fine. She's a self-emptying Chi, bless her!

So maybe Woody is just sorting out his glands for himself. Unless he is distressed, i.e. constantly scooting, licking himself and in a bit of a state, I'd leave it a few days and see if the smell just clears up.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi Pidge, a fishy smell emitting from the dogs behind is as has been said often caused by the anal glands secreting .

If the fishy smell comes from the mouth again the cause may be the dog licking anal secretions but it may also indicate a problem with the small fissures (folds of skin) at the side of a dogs mouth, the area where the upper canines meet the lower jaw. This area can become infected because the folds of skin and hair prevent the air from circulating, this problem is more common in some breeds than others including spaniels. You can check if there is a problem with the fissures by looking if the area is slimy and smells of fish.

Now back to the anal glands, the secretions act as a lubricant, they are also used for scenting and it a dog gets over excited or afraid it may dispel a small amount of secretion so the smell doesn't always mean the glands are full. They can however become over full or blocked and this can cause an abscess.

I check them occasionally in my dogs. I have had dogs with full glands which needed regular expressing . Expressing them is a quick and easy operation and takes about 2 seconds.
It is best done by the vet the first time so you know what you are doing and that there is no other problem but this is how it is done....
Stand at the side of the dog, with one hand lift the tail high and with the other hand gently squeeze the side on the dogs anus at about the 'ten to two' with the side of your thumb and forefinger. I hold a tissue between my thumb and finger. Now wipe the area gently, I use baby wipes, thats it all done.

The anal fluid smells horrid and can be dispersed over an area when the glads are expessed , that is why it is best to stand at the side. I do it on a table in the garage .
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Eww the joy of anal glands!

We had a very nervous collie in classes once who would empty her ananl glands when she was startled by loud noises.

Funnily enough, once they had smelled it a few times, all of the other owners in class worked very very hard to keep their dogs quiet and entertained! It's amazing what owners can do when the motivation is there!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Took him to the vets this morning. It was the anal glands, which she thought was odd at his age so suggested we keep an eye on it.

Originally Posted by basi View Post
Some people find by adding the roughage in their diet it helps to firm up the poos so the glands will empty themselves but it doesn't allways help if the glands are in the wrong place like all 3 of mine are
My vet showed me how to do it so I didn't have to keep taking them, though it isn't a very nice job to do.
Vet suggested because he's so young it quite possibly is to do with how they are placed. I asked about roughage but she said it's inconclusive that it actually works and if we're happy with his diet we should keep him on it at this stage.

Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
Hi Pidge, I had this trouble when Pebbles was a pup. Every now and then, she'd come up with this awful smell and boy, was it HORRIBLE (like you say, rotting fish on a hot summer's day just about sums it up). Anyway, apart from the odd scoot across the floor, no other probs. I was a member on a Chi Forum at that time and someone said anal glands need emptying, so went along to Vets. The Nurse told me that so long as Pebbs was only doing the occasional scoot and had no other probs but the smell, the anal glands were emptying themselves, so no need for action. Took her word for it and within a week or two no more smell or scooting. Every now and then, she will have a scoot, fishy smell to follow and then she's fine. She's a self-emptying Chi, bless her!

So maybe Woody is just sorting out his glands for himself. Unless he is distressed, i.e. constantly scooting, licking himself and in a bit of a state, I'd leave it a few days and see if the smell just clears up.
Hopefully now it's gone we should have a nice smelly bottom to cuddle on the sofa with ;o)

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Pidge, a fishy smell emitting from the dogs behind is as has been said often caused by the anal glands secreting .

If the fishy smell comes from the mouth again the cause may be the dog licking anal secretions but it may also indicate a problem with the small fissures (folds of skin) at the side of a dogs mouth, the area where the upper canines meet the lower jaw. This area can become infected because the folds of skin and hair prevent the air from circulating, this problem is more common in some breeds than others including spaniels. You can check if there is a problem with the fissures by looking if the area is slimy and smells of fish.

Now back to the anal glands, the secretions act as a lubricant, they are also used for scenting and it a dog gets over excited or afraid it may dispel a small amount of secretion so the smell doesn't always mean the glands are full. They can however become over full or blocked and this can cause an abscess.

I check them occasionally in my dogs. I have had dogs with full glands which needed regular expressing . Expressing them is a quick and easy operation and takes about 2 seconds.
It is best done by the vet the first time so you know what you are doing and that there is no other problem but this is how it is done....
Stand at the side of the dog, with one hand lift the tail high and with the other hand gently squeeze the side on the dogs anus at about the 'ten to two' with the side of your thumb and forefinger. I hold a tissue between my thumb and finger. Now wipe the area gently, I use baby wipes, thats it all done.

The anal fluid smells horrid and can be dispersed over an area when the glads are expessed , that is why it is best to stand at the side. I do it on a table in the garage .
Mini, thanks once again for a very informative post. I do enjoy your replies and always take note. In fact it was you who suggested when I thought he had bad breath to sniff his bum as it might be anal glands. I remembered this and the vet was very impressed that I'd been able to identify it and bring him in for it. So thanks, once again ;o) xx
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >