View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-09-2005, 07:20 PM
I hope that they are new to everyone but when I get that photo link I hope to put up some pictures into the pets area and/or the humour area from e-mails I have received. If you have friends maybe you've seen them but I think many will enjoy looking at them.

As until I joined here I had no one to share them with and only I could see them.

Cheers!

Gilders
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

29-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Goodevening Gildy, Have you any room for a tree or two in your garden, the Mountain Ash grows quite quickly and is not a big tree and the birds love the berries, but don't get the one with yellow berries, they prefer red. Also there are the coloured leaved elders, also quick growing and easily kept in check with pruning, the berries never stay on ours for long. Among the shrubs there are cotoneasters and pyracanthas - as with the mou ntain ash keep to the red berried ones. Now the purist gardeners will probably be horrified but we grow ivy up our old plum trees, the 'wild' sort of ivy, dark green shiny leaves, and it flowers late in the summer, ours is just finishing and the berries ripen through the winter, so they are ripe when food is short and the thrushes and blackbirds love them, the ivy also provides a safe nesting place for some of the smaller birds, and insects for the wrens and robins. Try planting sedums - there are all sorts and sizes and the bees and butterflies love them, I also have big clumps of origano (marjoram) it spreads like wildfire but keeps the weeds down and it buzzes with bees on warm days. Hope that these suggestions will be of use to you - regards Kath.
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by The Great Gildersleeve
I use Madasafish as my ISP and have thought of switching but they seem ok and they do a basic broadband for £15.99(I think)I'd have to recheck and if I sign up I think I get two months for free. Think I have to sign up for 12 months.
Hello Gildy, I don't know much about ISPs, that's Mr Fluffybunny's department I've never heard of Madasafish though!

I know lots of our friends are on Tiscali broadband, seems fine though it does have a "fair use" download policy - but if you're ok on your dialup I reckon you'd be fine on that.

For just a couple of quid over what you're paying now, broadband has got to be a no-brainer for you. Once you've had it and seen the connection speeds, you'll never go back! It's particularly noticeable with photos and stuff. We are on 8mb broadband with bulldog and it's absolutely superb
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Kath,

thanks for the suggestions, Minihaha saw my pictures in the gardens sections and mailed me a picture of a Mountain Ash. Its beautiful. Can I find space for one...I'd like to and it would look good with the Beach tree. I may have to go with bushes and shubs but to soften the fence add some climbing plants but be careful that what I chose will grow or be pruned so they grow up/across the fence and not through.

Gildy
Rupert
New Member!
Female 

02-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Hello Dear Gildy, I am looking for the pictures of your garden, How do I find them?
I clicked on to the camera ikon, but nothing.
I wish I had a garden, you are all so lucky, love Rupe x x x
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Hello Rupe! I have just had a rummage about the dogweb forum and found them in one of the other sections (house, garden and something else, I've already forgotten what!). If you click this link below, it should take you there:

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/gil...den_20197.html

Hope that helps!

Fluffy x
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Hi Fluffy...at least Rupe's trying...

She'll find her way I'm sure. There are so many short cuts once you get used to the site.

Thanks for the info, I'm still trying to get further with Photobucket.

But there's no rush for the present getting more photo's up just yet. At least I managed to show those interested what the garden is like when I talk of it.

Nice sunny day here, the birds are really singing their hearts out and I just know a Robin is amongst them, I can't see him but I know that song anywhere. Takes me back to walking through Boscombe Gardens which took you down to the beach(that's near Bournemouth)no matter whatever the time of year as you walked through you'd hear and see many and the sun would send shafts of light between the trees and shrubs and everything was so still.

Doing well for all the small birds at present. And my lone Squirrel popped in for a drink from the bird bath.

The new neighbours have erected a very small garden shed roughly in the area where the trees were removed from but being close to the fence it will offer further protection against the weather and I suspect may help stop the hawk getting a clear look and route to swoop down to surprise some of the birds and as my shrubs grow and new ones are planted perhaps everything is going to be ok.

I supose unless anything new visits there will be little to report over winter but we'll see. I have no doubt there will be plenty more to talk over across the boards.

G x
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-10-2005, 01:11 PM
The birds have well and truly discovered my seed feeder, there are lots of sparrows swinging about on it like it's the avian equivalent of Alton Towers! The rabbits are enjoying it too, they are sitting underneath it, hoovering up all the dropped bits! I'm going to have to work out a way to stop that (maybe placing the bird table beneath it to catch them?) as I'm sure it's not good for the naughty buns!

We don't have too many types of birds round this way - plenty of sparrows and starlings, a few blackbirds, and I've also seen a thrush and a blue tit but that's about it. I used to live backing onto a golf course where we had a whole range of birds visit the garden, including wrens, jays and woodpeckers. We also had owls who would frequently keep me awake at night by screeching or hooting from the roof!

This past year in Switzerland it has been wonderful to live among so many birds of prey. Barely a day would go by when you wouldn't see a red kite or eagle soaring overhead, they look so majestic, it was wonderful. Red kites are really really common over there, you see them everywhere, which was a real pleasure to see.

Fluffy x
Curmy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-10-2005, 04:03 PM
Hi Gildy, hope the neighbour's shed keeps the hawk away. Lets pray we have a few more sunny days .I've had 2 robins in our garden. We've just bought a digital camera, so you MIGHT get some pics soon, love Curmy.
Rupert
New Member!
Female 

02-10-2005, 04:33 PM
Dear Fluffy, Thanks so much. This is the second mail I have put here, and it was a long one, I don't know what happened but it vanished. Gildy you have a lovely garden, and I am sure all the birds you look after and all the other creatures are grateful for your care.
Fluffy, I am slightly dyslexic, so I can never find the same place twice, inspite of trying to bookmark everything.
Dogweb are very kind and helpful, but I do find it complicated. So before I lose this too, I'll stop, love Rupe x x x
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >