Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by twix View Post

All the above plus industrial washer(s) for the dogs stuff, oh and moving house to get more land no wonder the relatives think we've flipped. I can't begin to imagine what's been spent but if anyone wants to add up just my vets and food bills I've got the receipts going back to 1985 - well, you can't take it with you.
Haha that reminds me of when we were house-hunting. The vendors must have thought we were crazy as we just kept going to the back gardens and if they were too small just left with no further interest!
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Since January I have been recording and categorising every penny I spend, as part of my mission to save more money. This means I can give an exact amount for dog spends and having looked...it's quite scary!

Using the past 6 months as an example (Feb to July), I have spent:

£420 on training (£105 for 6 weeks for both dogs)

£381 on vet fees (two lots of vaccinations, limpy leg problem, anal gland infection and emergency tendon surgery when Sneaks cut his leg)

£169 on food (raw deliveries from DAF which includes some treats such as pig snouts, hooves etc)

£129 on "other" (looking back this includes two harnesses, toys, stocking up on wormers, bedding, head collar, thundershirt, rubber grooming brush, toothbrush etc)

£103 on insurance (£17.93 per month for them both)

£71 on treats (includes liver/heart etc for making my own training treats, chews, bones, pigs' ears etc).

This adds up to £1,273 for 6 months (£212 per month). However, that six month period had both of their annual vaccinations in and also invloved buying roughly a year's supply of wormers. There were also three "unshecduled" vet bills, which are the only ones I've ever had in almost three years). Taking that into account (and crossing fingers for no other unplanned vet visits), I reckon the costs would roughly be:

£2,200 per year
£183 per month
£42 per week

If I took out the training classes (which I do as a hobby rather than necessity) it would be

£1,360 per year
£113 per month
£26 per week

This is for two whippets.

Information overload...nerd alert!
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2012, 10:03 AM
P.S. I have not included the cost of buying a larger car to accommodate the hounds, nor the estimated cost of repair to the leather seats after Billy decided to modify them with his teeth. But then again, nor have I factored in the money I have saved by not going out as I feel too guilty to leave them
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 11:28 AM
They cost me quite a lot - but you have to offset the following...

1. No need for Personal Trainer to make me take healthy exercise every day
2. ditto for electricity to run footwarmer in winter
3. or therapist to handle the stress
4. or home security system
5. waste disposal (leftovers)
6. decorating (I mean - what`s the point?)
7. new clothes (see above)
8. gardener (see above)
9. absence of foreign holidays
10. and I don`t need to go far for a cuddle
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
They cost me quite a lot - but you have to offset the following...

1. No need for Personal Trainer to make me take healthy exercise every day
2. ditto for electricity to run footwarmer in winter
3. or therapist to handle the stress
4. or home security system
5. waste disposal (leftovers)
6. decorating (I mean - what`s the point?)
7. new clothes (see above)
8. gardener (see above)
9. absence of foreign holidays
10. and I don`t need to go far for a cuddle
You've summed it up perfectly
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 12:14 PM
I did try to calculate it once and got scared so stopped half way through luckily they are worth it though our next hopefully will be able to eat a normal food and not need monthly meds etc.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3