View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2009, 03:09 PM
I asked at my last vets about titre testing and all the vet said was it wasn't cost effective??? I wasn't worried about the cost!
We are now at a new vets, however have to have vaccinations as our dogs go into boarding kennels from time to time

Funnily enough I have always asked them to vaccinate against everything and yet they've never had a kennel cough one.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2009, 04:38 PM
well ive made the decision that yoda will not be having anymore vaccinations- i am not going to risk anything going so badly for him again-he has had such a bad first year of his life its a risk i will take. he is already having massive reactions to the tabs hes on for his skin bless him. im not sure about sadie though-probably more than likely not have her done either
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Just out of interest, I did ask my vet this morning when I took Zena for her 2nd jab, exactly how many diseases are we actually hitting them with at one time. Seems I was right, it USED to be 9 or more, but nowadays she said, things have improved, and she counted them for me and it is actually 6! I suppose that can only be an improvement.

When I recently insured her, I remember they stated that the dog has to be vaccinated and boostered (M & S last week), but I'm erring on the 2 years route quite honestly, but I might change my mind, it really is a great worry to me.
Loki is insured with M&S and they told me that they would insure him without boosters, just not against the illnesses that he would have been vaccinated against. I'm so glad I didn't give him boosters, as we have only just become aware of his kidney failure, and a booster could have killed him.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2009, 05:28 PM
I wonder is there any research or statistics re vaccine damage in dogs?
Though I guess if there is & it was made widely available - it could cause a scare & a drop in people having their pets vaccinated - as in the MMR scare in babies linked to Autism - stopped parents having their children vaccinated & increased the risk of an outbreak - the damages of which they say far outway any damage caused by the vaccine.
I'm not anti vaccine - but try telling that to a parent of an Autistic child!! (as in me)
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Helen - who is the manufacturer of the vaccine?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Well, that's the strange thing Lucky! I just rang them and told the receptionist I forgot to take my card in there this morning, and I would like to know what actual vaccine they use at the hospital. She looked it up and said it was DAPPIL, she even spelled it for me. I wanted to look it up on the net and see just what the vaccine company say about this 2 weeks or 10 days business, but I can find nothing. I have only come across more horrors, especially The Darling Buds of May pages!!! Oh dear, I'm getting very worried now. Why can't I find DAPILL then??? Maybe it's too new? This is NOT a 2nd rate old fashioned vets, this is an RCVS Hospital, so they wouldn't use something cheap and nasty or unknown would they??? Would they???!!!!!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
I wonder is there any research or statistics re vaccine damage in dogs?
Though I guess if there is & it was made widely available - it could cause a scare & a drop in people having their pets vaccinated - as in the MMR scare in babies linked to Autism - stopped parents having their children vaccinated & increased the risk of an outbreak - the damages of which they say far outway any damage caused by the vaccine.
I'm not anti vaccine - but try telling that to a parent of an Autistic child!! (as in me)
I'm sorry to hear about your child.

This is a letter that was submitted to the Veterinary Times and signed by a number of vets:
http://www.britfeld.com/vaccine-uk-vets.htm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/apr/02/2
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Well, that's the strange thing Lucky! I just rang them and told the receptionist I forgot to take my card in there this morning, and I would like to know what actual vaccine they use at the hospital. She looked it up and said it was DAPPIL, she even spelled it for me. I wanted to look it up on the net and see just what the vaccine company say about this 2 weeks or 10 days business, but I can find nothing. I have only come across more horrors, especially The Darling Buds of May pages!!! Oh dear, I'm getting very worried now. Why can't I find DAPILL then??? Maybe it's too new? This is NOT a 2nd rate old fashioned vets, this is an RCVS Hospital, so they wouldn't use something cheap and nasty or unknown would they??? Would they???!!!!!
Don't think that's the manufacturer - DAPPI + L stands for the diseases:

Distemper, Adenovirus, Parvo, Parainfluenza and Lepto.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2009, 05:49 PM
That's the gist I got when Googling I will ring them back then!!!! Thanks Lucky, I thought that.xx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2009, 05:50 PM
H - do you have a vax card, it could be written on there?

Something like Duramune or Procyon or Intervet or something?
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >