Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Personally I have found in my experience with Cherry who used to be very fear reactive, that breed traits can be very unhelpful. People, trainers etc just used to say she was the way she was because of her breed-she is a Kerry Blue terrier-they are known for being dog aggressive.

This despite the fact that I also had a male Kerry who was brilliant with other dogs and used social skills, calming signals very effectively!

But if I had just had Cherry I would have blindly believed what they said to me and thought "Well-it's just the way they are I never want another one". Instead I have gone on to work with Cherry and modify her behaviour. She actually exhibits a lot of Collie type behaviours and there isn't a lot of those in her pedigree!

Also, thinking about breeds all being the same and behaving to a certain pattern can lull you into a false sense of security like when we had a Black lab come up and try and have a pop at Cherry. I thought they were all friendly! This one had bitten a couple of dogs and knocked a lady over so he hadn't read the guide book to his breed I guess!
Good point, I wonder how much is also self fuffiling, like people say you cant let huskies off the lead, or that such and such a breed need a firm hand or whatever - so people treat them that way and the dog turns out the way you treat it - rather than say the breed is more prone to problems with X so you have to work really hard on that
Of course different breeds are different and researching collies gave my a much understanding of how to deal with Mia's issues
But I do find it strange when people say something like clicker training wont work on their breed of dog - if it works on elephents, mice, and goldfish I think its gonna work on dogs
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Personally I have found in my experience with Cherry who used to be very fear reactive, that breed traits can be very unhelpful. People, trainers etc just used to say she was the way she was because of her breed-she is a Kerry Blue terrier-they are known for being dog aggressive.

This despite the fact that I also had a male Kerry who was brilliant with other dogs and used social skills, calming signals very effectively!

But if I had just had Cherry I would have blindly believed what they said to me and thought "Well-it's just the way they are I never want another one". Instead I have gone on to work with Cherry and modify her behaviour. She actually exhibits a lot of Collie type behaviours and there isn't a lot of those in her pedigree!

Also, thinking about breeds all being the same and behaving to a certain pattern can lull you into a false sense of security like when we had a Black lab come up and try and have a pop at Cherry. I thought they were all friendly! This one had bitten a couple of dogs and knocked a lady over so he hadn't read the guide book to his breed I guess!
I agree - and I think any trainer who will just tell you thats the breed is not worth going back to.

Having said that...when you do come across a dog who is 'typical' to breed, it can help to understand those drives and instincts behind the breed and how to redirect or work with them to solve problems.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3