Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Hi LS did you read Roys article..
http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=20146

I don't like any of the 'drop on the neck' flea methods having witnessed a dog have a severe reaction (a Westie, it later died). I guess some treatments are worse than others , fortunately I have never needed to use any having my own flea prevention regime.
Thanks Mini - I have read it before but have now re-read it. Oh dear - I've given Loki garlic every day, religiously, since we first got him. I can't believe he's got fleas. He's never had them before and I am really reluctant to give him chemicals like these or put anything down with the baby in the house. Yet we have to do something as he's practically eating his legs away.

Ailsa - no he had the fleas before we went to Wales but we had use of a private lake which he was in and out of all day and I think that helped keep them at bay. It's got worse since we've been home, probably because they are in the soft furnishings and the hot weather eeek!

Now having read some of these posts about bad reactions I'm even more reluctant. Loki does seem sensitive to most chemicals and drugs.

Oh pooh!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
..here is some more info for you LS

http://www.apnm.org/publications/res...leachemfin.pdf

...as the cause of Lokis problem is not fully understood I would think very carefully about using any spot treatments on him.
Thank you Mini - much appreciated!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Hi LS fleas are a difficult problem I know and it is oh so easy to put drops on a dog and forget fleas, and if that is a persons choice fine but I prefer not to . I don't like to use unnecessary chemicals in any shape or form if I can avoid it and certainly not preparations containing organophosphates.

Years ago we didn't have pesticide drops and managed perfectly well to keep dogs free of fleas without them ( the biggest problem was keeping the cockers ears free of lice). We managed it by keeping the kennels spotlessly clean and washing them down daily also grooming and checking the dogs over daily too.

So what do I do these days to keep my dog free of fleas...it isn't easy but it can be done and does take a bit of time each day..yes I know when you have a small baby time is in short supply. Before going out for a walk I put a few drops of pure Tee Tree Oil on a tissue and lightly wipe over the dogs coat avoiding the skin,( I think the smell of it acts as a flea repellent as does a dog who eats garlic, they smell differently )Thursday Plantation pure Tee Tree oil is good from the health food shops , it can be harmful if ingested so one needs to take care when using it .

Most importantly on returning for a walk I give the dog a quick once over with the brush looking for any fleas, occasionally I have found one and picked it out and squished it. Bearing in mind the flea does not live on the dog it only jump on the dog to feed it is important to clean the dogs bed daily /wash frequently and to vacuum around the area where the dog walks. Prevention as they say is better than cure and if you are careful and prepared to spend a few moments every day checking your dog will never get fleas, once it has they are more difficult to get rid of.

Adding Garlic to the diet helps but it should not be used continuously, a few days of taking it than a couple of days break is recommended and it shouldn't be used in large quantities. Bathing in Tee tree shampoo is good to, or adding a couple of drops of tee tree oil to a dog shampoo. Pure oil of Lavender is also a repellent.

Incidentally research carried out a few years ago linked the use of various pesticides/insecticides to Parkinson's Disease/neurological diseases / MS/and some cancers in humans. I recently read an article in The New Scientist giving more credence to the Parkinson's theory...logic tells me if pesticides can affect the neurological function of humans they may also affect dogs too...

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...arkinsons.html
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Thankyou Mini I do appreciate you giving me all this info. I have no idea where Loki might have picked this lot up from - he doesn't get to mix much with other dogs so I can only think of hedgehogs. I will hold out a little longer and wage war on them myself and see how it goes. I guess another week or so won't hurt.
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 10:26 PM
i use frontline on both my setters and on my cat - never had any problems with it. i recomend it, its good stuff
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-08-2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks for all the info in those links

Finn had some head tremors at the beginning of the year which we are almost sure were because of ear infections but I have been scared to treat him with spot on treatments since. This has given me food for thought.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3