Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Micky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-10-2008, 06:40 AM
Originally Posted by waifsnstrays View Post
can't offer any help sorry just hope she aint like buster who will hold himself till he pops if he dont go round block cause wont go in yard cause of his past good luck hope all turns out well
Well its been 24 hrs now and cannot get her to go in the garden to do her business, she just wont walk anywhere even when i try to motivate her with food, she is too heavy for me to carry so unless i pull, tug & push i cannot get her outside, my OH carried her out several times last night and tried to encourage her but she still would not have a wee or anything else... I really do not know what to try next, am thinking of calling the vet for advice but not sure they can help really...
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Sorry to hear you're having such a struggle.

I think it is worth talking to the vet. Maybe he can't do anything, but i think its best that he knows whats going on. 24 hours is a long time for her to be holding stuff in - presumably she has been drinking in that time?

I know that you have tried treats to encourage her, but is that with you there watchin? What about dropping some really tasty bits just outside her reach (but so she can smell them)..and leaving a bit of a trail of treats. Then walk out the room and leave her.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 07:53 AM
Hi Michelle,

Is she refusing to move because of the tube on her tail?

Sorry to repeat myself but why can you not take this off for when she needs to go out?
Micky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Hi Michelle,

Is she refusing to move because of the tube on her tail?

Sorry to repeat myself but why can you not take this off for when she needs to go out?
Hello Rachel

We did take the tube off her tail this morning to see if she would walk without it but she still would not move. I can only get her into the garden by pullling her or my Husband carrying her when he is here, but still she will not go to the toliet.. I have called the vet and they advised leaving her in the garden with her buster on and puting a bag over her tail to keep it dry until she goes to the toilet, well i have done that for 20 mins and she has not gone and as its peeing down with rain so dont want to leave her out all day. Have just called the vets as we needed to make an appointment for him to see her thursday and i have mentioned that we are still having a problem with her walking/going to the loo and they are going to call me back..Hopefully a miracle will happen soon..
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by Micky View Post
Hello Rachel

We did take the tube off her tail this morning to see if she would walk without it but she still would not move. I can only get her into the garden by pullling her or my Husband carrying her when he is here, but still she will not go to the toliet.. I have called the vet and they advised leaving her in the garden with her buster on and puting a bag over her tail to keep it dry until she goes to the toilet, well i have done that for 20 mins and she has not gone and as its peeing down with rain so dont want to leave her out all day. Have just called the vets as we needed to make an appointment for him to see her thursday and i have mentioned that we are still having a problem with her walking/going to the loo and they are going to call me back..Hopefully a miracle will happen soon..
Mmmm bless her she is obviously feeling right out of sorts.

Max didn't like his tail uncovered in the air - is hers shaved too? So perhaphs covering it fully to go out might help?

Max just used to sit down so I had to cover it for walkies until one day I just had to go for it - did it in the middle of a walk and after too mad moments he was fine!

I really feel for you and your girl its so hard for them.

Can you put her in the car and go to a fave walk? Do you think that might help?

Give her some setter kisses from my boys xxx
Micky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Mmmm bless her she is obviously feeling right out of sorts.

Max didn't like his tail uncovered in the air - is hers shaved too? So perhaphs covering it fully to go out might help?

Max just used to sit down so I had to cover it for walkies until one day I just had to go for it - did it in the middle of a walk and after too mad moments he was fine!

I really feel for you and your girl its so hard for them.

Can you put her in the car and go to a fave walk? Do you think that might help?

Give her some setter kisses from my boys xxx
Have made a bit of progress as she actually had a wee at 4.00 after not going for 32 hrs, not had the other yet though... Yes she does have the tail all shaved and as its been raining most of the day i have been wrapping a freezer bag around it when getting her into the garden.I would love to be able to take her out for a walk but she is still so nervous she does a little run and then plonks herself down with a thud..She also keeps making the odd wimpering noise and i am not sure what all that is about, she is on metacam but i wonder if the air getting to the stitches is feeling uncomfortable, she only had the 2nd op friday and the open ended tube put on yesterday morning..Gosh its so difficult and i feel quite helpless to know what else i can do, i just hope that as the week goes on it gets easier, its awful seeing her so stressed.... Barli says thankyou for the kisses and sends some back to your boys..
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Glad she's finally had a wee! Poor girl. Instead of that plastic bag, cling film is excellent for wrapping up tails and suchlike to keep them dry for a short period whilst she has her wee, and it's more secure than a bag. I remember one of my previous dogs had her whole back leg shaved once (can't remember why?!) but I do remember how she was scared to go out and didn't have a wee for many hours, and then when she finally did, she shot back in like she had a rocket up her backside and laid down very quickly and then wouldn't move again! I did manage to get her into the car to take her to her favourite walk thinking that might do the trick, but then she refused to get out of the car! It was a nightmare I remember it well. HOw very strange they are sometimes. I hope she's back to normal pretty soon though.
Micky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Glad she's finally had a wee! Poor girl. Instead of that plastic bag, cling film is excellent for wrapping up tails and suchlike to keep them dry for a short period whilst she has her wee, and it's more secure than a bag. I remember one of my previous dogs had her whole back leg shaved once (can't remember why?!) but I do remember how she was scared to go out and didn't have a wee for many hours, and then when she finally did, she shot back in like she had a rocket up her backside and laid down very quickly and then wouldn't move again! I did manage to get her into the car to take her to her favourite walk thinking that might do the trick, but then she refused to get out of the car! It was a nightmare I remember it well. HOw very strange they are sometimes. I hope she's back to normal pretty soon though.
Yes it was such a relief that she had a wee, i gave a big cheer and called the vets to let them know as they were saying that i should take her in to see them if she went much longer.. I have got such a headache as have spent the last two days just trying to coax her from one room to another and it feels like it two steps forward and four steps back at the moment.. I know that she does have a very stubborn streak at times so not sure how much of her reluctance to move is actually her discomfort or a mixture of that and stuborness, i have tried the softly softly gentle approach but my patience is starting to wear a bit thin now.. Oh well, tomorrows another day, fingers crossed things can only get better....
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Hope things get better
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Its tough when problems seem to go on and on.
Shes stressed, your stressed with it all but remember your not alone.
We all share the worry on here, try and stay strong and take 1 day at a time.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >