View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 11:47 AM
I think initially, they may wonder when they are going to be passed on but there has to come a certain point where the dog views it's new home as just that - it's home.

I think probably when they start to build trust in you, come out of their shells and become part of the family thats the point they think they are there to stay.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
It can take 6 months to 2 years in my experience - and even then we occasionally get flashbacks. The other week I came back from a walk where Shamus had done his party trick of rolling in poo so I took him straight into the back garden, and opened the tiny Coal Shed door (we keep the hose in there) to get the hose and Shamus meekly squeezed in and lay down. I nearly cried. It was obvious he`d been shut up like that before.

Oh dear, that actually made me cry... I've had to go and shut my office door now!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-05-2009, 12:52 PM
3 of my 5 are rehomes, but you'd never know it tbh they all act the same, take the same liberties etc. In fact Milan who spent a while living on the streets and was shot by an air gun is probably the most trusting and liberty taking b*gger of the lot. I think she knows she landed on her feet and is firmly staying put and getting the most out of life.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Hi - we have been back to the kennels were we got our girl from a couple of times and she has been with us - all i can say is that she must think we are taking her back because her reaction is tail between legs, head down and very quiet, even when she sees the lady there, she shows no sign of recognition or fondness at all.. makes you wonder doesn't it ? i think its unusual for a dog not to react positively to a person it has been around for a long time unless of course that person was not very nice.... my girl always seems hugely relieved when we go. She follows me from room to room as well which can be infuriating sometimes, so this could be a sign of insecurity i suppose.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I have no doubt that dogs remember their previous owners/handlers, but I don't personally believe that they spend any time *thinking* about a previous life. I believe they live in the here and now, and as long as they are fed, exercised and well looked after then they adapt no problem. .
Moobli I think that is pretty much it. Dogs have been found to have no self awareness so aren't able to think things like 'I am happy' but they can experience pleasure/fear and they also have memories so are able to remember both good and bad experiences and associate them with similar events eg sight and smell of a biscuit/lead/food bowl = pleasure.

Consequently rescue dogs don't *think* about their new homes , but they may be experiencing feelings of pleasure and won't be eager to leave .
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3