Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Sorry for it to be a maudlin post, but it is something that has been playing on my mind for a while now - probably because I have two elderly dogs

What do you all think about staying with your dog while they are pts? I have stayed with mine so far, but I get very, very upset and I am scared I might actually be distressing the dog. I am wondering whether it might be kinder if I were to say my goodbyes and then leave the dog with my hubby while the deed is done. My overriding feeling is that it is my duty to be there, but I just wonder if I am doing more harm than good.

Thoughts.
Oh Moobli. YES you really have to. I did with Max and Jeager. We owe it to them. They just "know" that if Mum or Dad are there....It will be ok!!----If and when it happens, please be strong and, THERE!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
As hard as it is I think by having their owner by their side makes them calm and relaxed
If I left holly she would be in a panic because I wasn't there, but if I was there she would be more calm because I am with her
I have been there everytime, one final cuddle. Plus if your dog is suffering you see them at peace which reminds you that you have done the best thing for them.

As hard as it is to face I couldn't not be there because I would feel like I have failed them when they need me the most.
I do think you are right Leo, although I wouldn't leave them all alone with the vet. I would always want them pts at home if at all possible and my hubby has offered to stay - all my dogs love him. However, I don't think I could live with myself afterward, as much as it hurts to see them go.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Difficult I have stayed with mine too. I do wonder if maybe I upset them but at the end of the day I just have to stay to give them the last cuddle and speak softly to them.
I know if I didn't I would feel a 1000 times worse than I felt already.
I think you are right Lynn, I think I just needed the reassurance. It was my hubby who mentioned it as a suggestion after seeing how distraught I became.

Originally Posted by shadowboy View Post
Yes, i was there when we had to put Shadow down...actually he was in my arms, as he had been so many times before in his 13 years. For me there was no question that we would do it at home where he felt the most comfortable, surrounded by his family.
I knew at 8:30 a.m. what we had to do and that gave my son time to get home, as well as my husband, and spend quality time with Shadow. The vet came at 6:30p.m. I can't deny it was the hardest day of my life, but I wouldn't change a thing. Shadow gave us so much in his 13 years...that's the least I could do.
You need to do what is best for you...maybe have friends or family to be there as well so you can have moral support. Just a thought
Thanks Shadowboy. It sounds as though Shadow left you surrounded by your love.

Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I have done , i tried to close her eyes and the vet told me they will not close , that hit me ...
It is so difficult to watch that light just fade from their eyes. One of the most difficult things.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I've stayed with mine so far. I wouldn't feel right not doing so to be honest. Both have seemed very calm and not at all worried by what's going on despite me being in tears.
Thank you Sarah. Thinking back, I don't think Moss seemed to bother that I was bawling all over him, but then he was a sick dog by then I am pleased your two went peacefully.

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Noooooooooo, it's an absolute must I feel Kirsty, and although you think you'll be upset and upset the dog, it really doesn't happen that way, when you absolutely KNOW in your heart, that you are doing the right thing for your dog and ending its suffering.

I've had to do this sooooo many times now, whilst Dave hides away in another room, usually with another dog of ours, although the last time of course with old Georgieboy, all on my own and instead of being at home where we usually are, I was at the vets. Yet again, my inner strength kept me from letting him know what was happening, until the injection started to take effect and he made noises, then I broke down as I spoke to him, but the vet assured me, that when that was happening he had already gone and knew nothing except the way he always knew me.

I honestly think it would haunt you if you weren't there I really, really do, but of course, sometimes you just can't.

Now I've said all of that, and I look down at my beautiful 4 yr old soul mate lying here at my feet and I wonder..........
Thanks H. The part about it haunting me forever really rings true. I remember thinking how brave you were taking Georgie all by yourself. Brave woman x

Try not to think about Zena just yet - you should have years and years together yet
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Everyone has to make their own choice, but for me it's simple, I owe it to my dogs to be there on their final journey.

As hard and difficult as it is, the last thing they should see is someone who loves them.
I think it is a personal choice, but I have been there so far, and no doubt will be again. I am just determined that in the future I will be more prepared and think about how I am going to hold them, place them on a rug/blanket etc.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by rough View Post
i prefer to stay with mine while they are pts, i personally feel i owe it to them, however i didn't have the choice with my last one , it did upset me at the time. x you have to go with what you feel comfortable with. xxx
Thanks rough. I think I know I MUST be there, for my dogs and for my own conscience, but I am already petrified of it!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by jeagibear View Post
Oh Moobli. YES you really have to. I did with Max and Jeager. We owe it to them. They just "know" that if Mum or Dad are there....It will be ok!!----If and when it happens, please be strong and, THERE!
Thanks Jeagi, I know, I know x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Sorry for answering the posts in such a roundabout way!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-11-2012, 10:20 AM
I simply couldn't contemplate not being there, it's just part and parcel of life with my dogs. They give me so much how could I not be there when needed. Mine have all gone at a good age after a good life so that makes it easier I think, but whatever happens I will be there. My last dog died in my arms the day after the vet assured me it was too soon to consider pts, he still went peacefully. For me not being there would just add guilt to the inevitable heartbreak. Sadly there is no avoiding the heartbreak.
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by jeagibear View Post
Ps I had first thought That i would leave Max... as it was my first Actual experience, but the look in hi eyes told me he would have worried More, if i had left him.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >