View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 12:07 PM
thanks Frances - I know the dog will learn to live with the cat, I'm more worried about the cat's reaction to the dog!

I know that she won't just sit there like your's did (you are so lucky!)

My aunt brought her dog round once. Bearing in mind she is a big GSD and was very happy to see us! She didn't even notice the cat but the cat woke up after the dog had been there for about 5-10 minutes and immediately hissed, jumped onto the top of the cupboards and proceeded to wreck the kitchen! The dog just ignored the whole episode!

So we have to be careful - the dog wasn't introduced to our cat right so I'm sure that if we do it slowly and gently they'll be fine!

Lottie
franc1987
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Lottie,

I have just been to the pet shop to get the dogs a little treat as they are a bit under the weather and the nylon collars range from £2.99- £4.99 and are made by CANAC. The woman in the petshop is very helpful. Canac also do harnesses but i do not know the price of these

Love Frances x
bale844
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-08-2005, 09:57 PM
could i have a copy of the article too please? how early can a puppy be taught to heel etc? jo xxx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-08-2005, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by bale844
could i have a copy of the article too please? how early can a puppy be taught to heel etc? jo xxx
Hi there bale Jo ?welcome to Dogweb,come and say hello to everyone here have you spotted this DW article on training puppies, it may be of help to you
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2005, 06:59 AM
I must be the odd person out on the block as I don't do any training(at home )on lead, all my heelwork etc is trained off lead with toys & titbits & this is for dogs from Big GSD size to cavaliers This way my dogs never learn to pull

It does take more work when compared to constraint training using a lead. but I've never had a dog who pulls
bale844
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2005, 07:37 AM
jduk, how would i do this?
it sounds ideal.
i know i want remi trained as she will grow to be a strong, powerfull dog + it would be all fun + games if i had no control over her.
i also understand that some dogs (not breeds but individuals) dont take in as much as others but some training will be better than none.
it will also socialize her with other dogs as i only have the 1.
from books im getting mixed msgs, some say clicker training works + some say different!
im reading up on the soundplay method (when the dog sits herself quickly say sit + praise/play so she knows what shes bieng praised for) i really cant tell if remi is taking any of this in although it sounds obvious.
i want to carry on training at home but dont know where to start!
any ideas? jo xxx
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2005, 01:03 PM
Well it needs to be done in isolation from too much distraction like other dogs & people I use my back garden & when a puppy is small it will naturally follow you, so using that I use titbits & a toy usually a tuggy or ball on a rope. Only a couple of minutes at a time no sits etc just a bit of heelwork titbit above the puppies head & lots of silly talk LOL my neighbours/friends know I am nuts LOLOLOLOL I don't use any formal commands we have just been doing heely wheelies todays as well as retrieving Mr Bottle he learnt Mr Tuggie was fun yesterday

What I am trying to do is teach my puppy to watch my hand so that when I start formal obedience he will have a focal point & this also works for normal walking as well as I can call my dog into concentration if another dog approaches etc

It's a lot harder that clipping on a lead but it does mean that my dogs walk with me because they want to
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3