View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
johnmaclen21
New Member!
Male 

12-09-2013, 12:06 PM
As we know that Dominance in dogs can be very challenging trait for their owners to handle. Dominant dog wants to have everything his (or her) way.It is useful to recognize dominant behaviors in our dog, so that we can better manage him, keep him safe, and set him up for success.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Labelling dogs as dominant is over used, many are called dominant when the are not. A truly dominant dog is rare.

Several supposed trainer labelled Bonnie as a dominant dog when she is just a confident girl who knows what she want but is happy to obey as long as she understands what I want her to do.
imbat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-09-2013, 01:18 PM
You could well be right The terminology "dominant" I only used because that is how it appeared to me but being far from an expert I just wanted to know how to avoid trouble with this type of dog
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Sorry if I gave the impression I was talking about you Imbat, I wasn't. These days it isn't the problem it used to be but at one time nearly every dog was classed as dominant and was trying to take the world over, all they wanted was to know the boundaries which many owners don't bother to teach them. I find that dogs obey the boundaries a lot better than children once they know them.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by johnmaclen21 View Post
As we know that Dominance in dogs can be very challenging trait for their owners to handle. Dominant dog wants to have everything his (or her) way.It is useful to recognize dominant behaviors in our dog, so that we can better manage him, keep him safe, and set him up for success.
There are few really dominant dogs, in 50 + years of owning dogs I have had only one & she was a quiet unassuming bitch, who could stop another dog's behaviour with a look(a sort of over the top of glasses look or raised eyebrow in humans), she never stared nor growled & basically did nothing obvious, however when one of my dogs was attacked in her presence, she stood up from the down position, turned her head & gave her look with a very low growl(only audible by the person next to her) at the aggressor, who immediately backed off & literally slunk away tail between his legs. This dog was known for his out & out aggression(inherited from his mother)& he had had to be dragged off other dogs in the past. He obviously had been taught a lesson he never forgot by my bitch as he never again transgressed. She never offered to attack him & simply laid back down again afterwards.

Whilst she was alive we never had any inter dog problems at home, despite having two bitches who hated each other(neither being her), after her death we had to keep the two bitches apart 24/7.

A dog who stares aggressively & growls at another is not dominant they are being defensive(usually from bad experiences)& getting their threat in first to prevent attack.

Too many people follow like sheep the"dogs domination"theory that has been proved time & time again not to be correct.

My dogs however are planning to take over the world, I often catch them looking up "domination"on the internet via their personal tablets
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-09-2013, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
My dogs however are planning to take over the world, I often catch them looking up "domination"on the internet via their personal tablets
Mine try to take over my bed every night but I make sure I have enough room to stretch out.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Might be just as well that I killed my Nexus Tablet the other night then Joedee. That will thwart any plans that the little Ayatollah has for world domination!
imbat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Thank you people good advice & good humour. George is still trying to dominate the cats at the moment but failing miserably
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-09-2013, 07:36 PM
You are so right and this is an extremely interesting thing.
I had a dog who would seem, to all appearances, to be very dominant. He wasn't-- he just put himself in charge, a natural shepherd (he was half GSD). On two occasions he broke up violent fights between other dogs, mostly by intercepting his huge self and stepping on their heads (the other half was Malamute). He was a peacekeeper, but he was not dominant. He was, in fact, extremely timid.

Now we have our little (ok, not so little) bitch. She, too, would probably be labeled as dominant, but she is not. When we first got her, we still had the beautiful GSD/Mal mix, and she submitted to him in everything. He is gone now, and she has adopted a very protective, not dominant, role over both the Old Dog, here since before she was, and the New Dog (we've had him for a few years now), three times her size. I never see her do anything that could be construed as dominant, but she does protect him: she puts herself between him and other things, and if there's something that needs barking at, she's first. But she is not dominant.

I am also interested in the position of the Omega. Old Dog is a natural Omega, and has been all his life. He yields everything always. He believes certain treats are not for him, if other dogs are present-- even if I put them in his mouth, he will spit them out. But the others do not bully him. They don't take treats off him. He just yields them up.

Old Dog is getting his own back, I suppose, in getting a regular sardine meal-- another interesting thing: the other two can't not know that the sardine thing is happening behind a closed door, but they never try to get in there! I guess it is because I am Top Bitch.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2013, 08:20 PM
I surely can't be the only one who has happily owned dogs for most of their adult life (I'm 64 now only) and never given a thought to any of this pack leader, dominant, alpha and omega dog stuff can I?
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >