Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2004, 11:07 AM
me too
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-10-2004, 11:12 AM
the law needs to be harder on people who mistreat any animal what ever it is,dog,cat,rabbit etc.they all need care and attention.i don't think you will ever stop people breeding but it would be nice if people considered the health of the pups before the money made from the litter.
i think breeders should have a yearly check and keep recorders on all their dogs health etc as well as their nature.
if they breed and take care of the dogs then they wouldn't have any problems with it and should welcome it to get rid of the wrong breeders.
i took my old boy into school like chloe and i don't think school educates children enough were animals are concerned and the responability of keeping them. this isa part of the reason i want to work tob as a pat dog so people /children can see what its all about.
Rosievelvet
Dogsey Junior

14-10-2004, 12:18 AM
Hi
Where I live you pay a £5.00 dog licence. OAP's can get a reduced rate of £2.50. If you own 3 or more intact bitches you can apply for and get a "breeders" licence. Your premises are checked to make sure it is suitable for breeding.

HOWEVER - for all the licenced dogs there are, there is still a lot without them. It would take a lot of money and man/woman power to enforce that everyone in the country who has a dog, licences it. Those of us who have always licenced their dogs continue to do so, whereas those who dont...........

Council pounds and private charities when rehoming where I live automatically issue dog licences for dogs and puppies plus microchipping and in a lot of cases you get a voucher towards neutering this is all included in the fee that you pay for the animal.

However when you buy privately from a breeder, it is left to the purchaser to buy the licence, microchip and neuter.

I personally dont feel a large amount for a licence would help, but that is just my opinion....
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-10-2004, 08:45 AM
Fees vary in different council areas here. We pay an annual registration fee of AU$50 for any entire dog or bitch, AU$15 for a desexed animal (vet cert. required). There are various other charges for pensioners, working dogs, obedience dogs, etc.

If one owns three or more dogs then the council requires you to apply for a kennel licence, which is fairly costly (can't remember the exact fee), and the home/premises must be inspected prior to the licence being granted. The licence application must also appear in the local newspaper to give those near the address in question the opportunity. to object.

As usual it is the law-abiding, caring, people who comply with the rules & regulations, although there is some small attempt to chase up unregistered dogs & premises.
huntaway
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-10-2004, 12:24 PM
When I lived in NZ we had a similar set up, although I can't remember how much it was. We got a discount for living on a farm, having Holly spayed and a secure garden. But then I suppose it was the responsible owners who end up paying for those who choose not to register and let their dogs roam around. I assume the money the Council collected went towards running the dog pound?
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3