Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
This being so, added to which the breed he is, I wonder at the motive for getting another male and another bull breed.

GSD,being from the pastoral group, like to control things (BCs may be the ultimate managers, but GSD come close).

As for place in the pack, every time you get a new dog, the pack dynamics change, who is at the top to begin with is not necessarily the one that remains there.

Be careful that you reading these dogs correctly.
Good points
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
The GSD could well be attacking the Staffie BECAUSE he is scared. We had this situation with Tai and Ben when Ben first came to live with us. He would tend to snivel in the corner, and Tai several times attacked him - never hurt him, but pinned him down and threatened him. It was very upsetting, because Tai has never been like this, but Ben luckily decided he had had enough, and they had 2 or 3 very serious fights during which Tai got bitten twice, and on the last occasion Ben got bitten. All is peace now, Ben has stopped snivelling, Tai has remained in charge and they are the best of friends.

It is very upsetting to watch a dog being bullied in this way by another one, but unless the Staffie is actually being injured, I would tend to keep hands off and see if the Staffie, like Ben, gets fed up and stands up for himself. With a dog like a Staffie though, they have very powerful jaws and if actually bites the GSD, you could have a large vet bill on your hands. It would IMO clear the air though.

This is always a difficult one, when you have two dogs of a similar rank - I am guessing that is the case, because by now the Staffie would have submitted and the GSD would stop the bullying.
Yes the staff just wants to be friends. He's not challenging Kaiser in anyway and submits to him, I suppose it's hardwork & patience for the next few months!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Saffy View Post
I reckon it would be easier if I did. She's a right madame! lol

Ah right, that's a different story! Are the 2 males entire or castrated Saffy?
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Ah right, that's a different story! Are the 2 males entire or castrated Saffy?
Both Castrated. As soon as I got the puppy off they came! lol
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2011, 01:13 PM
If at any point I thought the puppy would be aggressive and challenging to any of my other dogs, I would not had brought him into the home.

As it is, he's not. He's starved of love and affection and just wants to be friends, play and snuggle up!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
ahhh.
Hope it continues to improve.
ahhh from me too - I see your boys are neutered, but especially if they were cut late, a bitch in season can still up the anti. Sorry, I missed your post about that
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Yes the staff just wants to be friends. He's not challenging Kaiser in anyway and submits to him, I suppose it's hardwork & patience for the next few months!!
Yes, you're right. We have sorted things out with Ben and Tai, and I am sure you will too
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 07:46 PM
If at any point I thought the puppy would be aggressive and challenging to any of my other dogs, I would not had brought him into the home.

As it is, he's not. He's starved of love and affection and just wants to be friends, play and snuggle up!
Another point I forgot to mention - the staffie is a bitch, very few male dogs will be aggressive towards a bitch, once her season is over you might find she starts to assert herself - usually bitches rule, especially if they are entire, so I would hazard a guess that the boys will settle, I hope so.
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Aww thank you

I'm determined to make this work. My bitch certainly does rule, she's become the nanny when it comes to the new pup, and went to go for the Shep when he showed his teeth and the puppy.

The new puppy is 6 months old, and Kaiser was 6 months old when I had him castrated, so once the bitch is off season, I hope it all settles down. The thing is, it all happened at once, new dog in the house, my bitches first season at the same time....Waaa...I like a challenge! lol

Walks together are so much better and the Shep didn't get possessive over his toys and and only charged a few times instead a dozen like previous. I think with patience and understanding... I should get this to work!

I'll keep u posted...xx
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Aww thank you

I'm determined to make this work. My bitch certainly does rule, she's become the nanny when it comes to the new pup, and went to go for the Shep when he showed his teeth and the puppy.

The new puppy is 6 months old, and Kaiser was 6 months old when I had him castrated, so once the bitch is off season, I hope it all settles down. The thing is, it all happened at once, new dog in the house, my bitches first season at the same time....Waaa...I like a challenge! lol

Walks together are so much better and the Shep didn't get possessive over his toys and and only charged a few times instead a dozen like previous. I think with patience and understanding... I should get this to work!

I'll keep u posted...xx
This sounds great Saffy!! Would love to hear how things go. Best of luck xx
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »