Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What training problems do you have
Dog pulling on lead 20 60.61%
problems with recall 15 45.45%
dog on dog aggression 6 18.18%
jumping on people 14 42.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
Can see Mini's point, but I think in todays society, with busy roads and built up residential areas etc it is a problem if you have trouble with certain aspects of training. Granted it is one that can and should be solved by proper training but a problem none the less.
I think it depends what breed you own to an extent, if you have little dogs things are diff, but when you own big dogs like labs, and even worse Rottweilers peoples reactions can be extreme, I have had everything from running screaming to jumping off path nearly into the path of oncoming cars rather than pass the dog on the path, people jumping on top of walls the list is endless, so my dogs have got to be spot on, it is a problem for others if my dogs dont come back when called or dont behave like a saint, hence the holly thing a person running and screaming would be a great game for her, not that she would bite but im pretty sure she would be up for the chase,
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Yup I know exactly what I mean. But thats my point. We can say about dogs natural instinct to go off searching for smells and it's natural instinct to run ahead etc etc etc... but our society is nothing like what would be natural for a dog. So if we are unable, or have difficulty, in training it in any of those areas, then it is a problem.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 04:14 PM
rotts have got to be the bestest behaved dogs in the field if anything went wrong regardless of who, what,,where when people will point at the rott and say he did it,
its just the way peeps are about them
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 04:37 PM
mine would have to be jumping on people they get so excited they have to jump on them for cuddle even though we tell them no sit but then when it comes to the rest of the family it is hard as they are all dog lovers and they will let them even when i have said not to.

i will have to learn to be more firm with the family as the dogs all do as they are told...lol
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
Hi rachel cant seem to add to the poll but if azz has a look mabey it will he added

to be honest I think most owners have most of the issues listed at one time or another so dont be ashamed, lol
thanks for your honest answers, no dog is perfect and I am sure you will solve problems in time, funny you say about the barking, my garden goes straight onto a field and one of my friends has large munsterlanders her garden also backs onto the field, when she is taking them out you can hear the barking for miles you would think there are 100's of them but its just the 3 lol, rotts thankfuly are very quiet in comparison, but my GSD could wake the dead when going out with his yoddlin soooo loud so I got him zonked on a tuga ball and he took it with him on walks meaning it muffled the racket to an extent, you dare not open the door without him having somit in his gob though!
so we have all been there, never cured him of it though

Hi Shona,

Thanks for keeping my chin up on this! I leave my office job the end of this week and will therefore have more time at home with just the doggies! So more time for training - they will be pleased (maybe) I think I'm used to it but some day - lucky no neighbours close by either!

It was never as bad with one but I think i just notice it more - so the sounds like 100's - yep thats my house too ! The English never barks and my old Irish has pretty much the quietest bark ever!

I know we will get there - or they will get bored!?

Great thread by the way! very interesting reading!

I'm pleased to say that I do feel our recall is great - even though as setters do they run ahead and gallop they always check back to me and do come when called (well all except Charlie who takes a bit longer - and Angus who is being a stubborn teenager but we are tricking him by running backwards! )

Thanks again
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Quite severe dog on dog aggression here. I have to say I think it's at least partly due to fear since it only started after Rupe was attacked. He's horribly unpredictable with it too, there is absolutely no pattern to which dogs he'll be fine with and which he won't. It's not just noise and slobber either and the complete and utter silence from him is unnerving. Getting a behaviourist in after Xmas to see if anything can be done. Don't want to muzzle on the street, too many idiots who find it funny to let their dogs attack him
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-12-2006, 07:44 PM
I don't have a problem with any of them, as the owner of Dobermanns I worked my ar*e off to ensure they didn't have any issues. Like Rotties they are not judged by the same standards as other dogs and people don't make allowances. For my sake and theirs they have to be the best behaved dogs around.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Hooray! I am pleased to say I don't have any of those problems
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I don't have a problem with any of them, as the owner of Dobermanns I worked my ar*e off to ensure they didn't have any issues. Like Rotties they are not judged by the same standards as other dogs and people don't make allowances. For my sake and theirs they have to be the best behaved dogs around.
thanks trouble you word it so much better than myself
and I seem go on and on next time I am gona get you to do it anyway your dob should never be judged with a face like hers, she has an expresion of kindness,
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Hooray! I am pleased to say I don't have any of those problems
show off well done moobli, but reading between the lines " any of THOSE problems " are there others affecting you? come on tell us
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >