View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 10:28 AM
I have never asked for a deposit, and never been asked for one, I dont like taking deposits, but if I KNEW the breeder I was going to buy from then I would have no problem placing a deposit with them.

Mo
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2010, 10:52 AM
I paid a deposit on Bobby but it was refundable and basically just reserved him for me.

I was happy to do it because I was sure then that he was definately mine and it probably indicates to the breeder that you are definately serious about buying.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 11:23 AM
I wouldn't have a problem putting a deposit on a pup and I could see why breeders may want a deposit but I wouldn't put a deposit on my pups if I was a breeder. I presume that lots of breeders get people calling up saying they want a dog & putting their names down for one only to pull out at the last minute. I suppose a deposit is just a safeguard for lots of breeders that the prospective owners are actually interested & not just toying with the idea of a pup. That said, I wouldn't put it past people to put a deposit down, get the dog home only to decide that they don't want the pup after all & sell it on.
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
You dont have to make it legally binding, you can stipulate at the time that either party changes their mind before the pup is old enough to leave. Why would anyone want to make it a non refundable deposit...............
Exactly what I was thinking too. surely that way you secure your pup, and the breeder knows your serious about it.
I don't see a problem with refundable deposits
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-05-2010, 03:29 PM
I paid a deposit for the two I bought as pups, but it was refundable in both cases and was only £50 on a £800 dog so hardly a huge sum. I had lenghthy phone calls with both breeders and visited on several occasions so the chances of me not turning up on the day to collect really wasn't going to be an issue and they knew that, they spent ample time sussing me out. I think non refundable deposit, usually paid before you've even seen the pup is a money making scam, are they worried once you see the pup you'll have second thoughts. If that's the case a reputable breeder would be glad that you'd had a change of heart now rather than 6 months or a years time.
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2010, 03:45 PM
I have never paid a deposit for a pup. In fact with one of mine the breeder paid for her to be put on a plane and flown to us in the january of that year and was happy to accept payment from us at crufts the same year. They took us at our word that we would turn up with the money. We had already had a pup from them so they did know us but hadn't known us for long.

The only time I have been given a deposit on a pup was because the new owner was going away and they asked if we could hold on to him until he was 12 weeks. They wanted to cancel the holiday so they could have the pup but we said don't be silly. They also asked us if we could get him his jabs done which they paid for.

When they collected him they said they have never wanted to come home from a holiday on the first day there but this time they did. They now own a house abroad and he goes with them.

My next pup was offered to us by his breeder before he was born and even though the bitch only had 2 pups she has stood by her offer and is giving him to us as a present.
sandyxrs
New Member!
Female 

05-05-2010, 07:46 AM
I have paid deposit's on all three pup's! I understand that with alot of breeders they have photo collector's by this I mean, That people say they want the pup just to get some photo's of the pup/puppies. Or some breeders get day trippers, This means that people travel to see the pup/puppies just for a day out!
I asked to pay a deposit on all my three I was not asked by the breeder! To me it secured the pup that I wanted!
I also wanted to see mum and if I could see dad of the pup's as well!
I find this is the best way to get the puppy that I wanted!
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2010, 06:15 PM
When i was looking for a SBT puppy talking to one breeder and told me bitch had been mated and she would let me know when they were born so i could come and pick one, never asked me any questions about me/OH/our living situation or anything and then said the puppies would be £750 and it would be a £200 non-refundable deposit.

I haven't contacted her since and have changed my number since then so i have no idea if she did contact me when they were born...

I wouldn't have paid a £200 deposit... i did think it was the norm though to have to pay a deposit on a puppy? But not that much i always thought it was about £100?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Alot of people think its the norm and alot of breeders charge deposits.
It certainly doesnt make one breeder better/worse than another for asking for one or not. I just personally wouldnt ask.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2010, 09:20 PM
I thought it was to my benefit to leave a deposit on Oz as he was the one I wanted at 4 weeks and didn't want to miss out on him ...
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »