View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-03-2013, 10:46 AM
I only discovered "my breed" four years ago when quite by accident .... and in a moment of madness .... I bought an 8 week old Shar-Pei as a companion for my 3 month old Tibetan Spaniel, Chloe.

I'm in my 70's and have owned many different breeds of dogs over the years but never one like my Pei girl. She was my soul mate and the love of my life and I was devasted when she died in a freak accident last year. I miss her every day!

Hopefully towards the end of this year, when I've fully recovered from my hip replacement op I'll have another Shar-Pei. I can't imagine life without one!
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2013, 12:38 AM
For me Great Danes will always be my passion. Although Luke is my one and only and there will not be another for me, I will always be involved with the breed in some way. It would be more apt to say that the mastiff breeds are "My breeds" as those are the breeds I will own in the future. Dogue de Bordeaux being my next
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2013, 07:10 AM
When I had GSDs I said I would never own a different breed. Marvellous dogs - love them.

However, many years down the line when it came to getting the next dog, I had an 8 yr old daughter who desperately wanted the dog to be 'hers'. And no way could she have managed a GSD even for walking it on the beach where we lived. So I got a CKCS and they grew up together happily and I then said I would never have a different breed from that one! (By then I was a lot older and didn't think I'd manage a large breed very well myself).

However, once my CKCS died and a couple of years later I decided to get another dog - I did not opt to get another CKCS (even though they were available here) because I'd moved to Cyprus and it definitely is not the best location for any long haired dog - you have to clip them short most of the year and they do suffer in the heat).

So now I've got a little Min Pin and I don't say 'I would never have a different breed' anymore because I doubt I will live long enough to own another after Bella!

But, should I ever be in a situation where I could have another dog - she has taught me that I do actually like and admire the small feisty terrier type breeds so it probably would be a similar one.

Horses for courses is my view. It isn't as simple as just the breed you like the look of or the behaviour of. So many other considerations come into it. Your living conditions and location - your physical strength and fitness to cope with whatever a particular breed needs - and the same considerations for the dog in question. What's best for them.
mummysnoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2013, 03:35 PM
For me, its got to be the Mini Schnauzer, a Giant character in a small body, easy to train, very intelligent, can take short or long walks, great guard dogs, loves people. The down sides, can be yappy, bossy boots, easily bored and don't like being on their own, but wouldn't have them any other way.
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-03-2013, 07:55 AM
I have always wanted a great Dane but not managed yet as my favorite has to be the Spanish mastiff.
had about 8 all together over the last 11 years .starting with an adopted girl, her pups and when they all had past away except for my mastiff/malamute cross, I had to have 2 more pups..
they are such gentle giants and great for guarding too...
just love them..
close second will have to be either leonberger, pyrenean or new foundlander, all of which I have had in the past...
difficult decision, lol xx
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Mummysnoo - I have a soft spot for yappy bossyboots little tyrant dogs! Big dogs trapped in little bodies!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3