View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Carole it had gone off topic but only because like I said in the beginning some people had got hold of the wrong end of the stick regarding Scottish Boxers post. So points that where raised had to be addressed.
Carole
Supervisor

17-01-2005, 02:04 PM
I know they did have to be addressed
CBT
Dogsey Senior

17-01-2005, 02:09 PM
I dont think it [i]has[i] gone off topic though?
I agree, that if whites are born then they should be health and hearing tested and found suitable pet homes, no one is questioning that is the best and most humane thing to do, no one likes the idea of culling white puppies.
BUT, (and its a big but......) Isnt it better to adress the root cause and breed for solid colours rather than risk producing potentially faulty whites?
I happen to like flashy boxers too, I think they look nice, I like any dog which has those white markings, but if it is a choice between breeding flashy dogs and producing whites as a by-product, I would rather opt for a solid coloured dog.
sorry if anyone thinks I have taken the post off-topic, i just think its always better to get to the bottom of things and try to solve problems that way. I guess Im a cynic or whatever you call it
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

17-01-2005, 02:12 PM
I totally agree with you CBT.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-01-2005, 02:25 PM
i dont think whites should be culled at birth.
in a ideal world no dog would be born with problems i think as a breeder of any dog it is upto you to make sure that your founding dogs are problem free in the health side of it.
but if you do get white in a litter then they should be found loving homes the same as the rest some whites have health problems but you can get that in reds and brindles as well.
at the end of the day it is just a colour and the breed,temperment,nature etc of the dog should be more important.
any breeder of boxers that cull because of colour needs shooting, they produced these pups and its up to them to find them loving homes or keep them if needed.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2005, 02:56 PM
But how do you stop people breeding unless you do not let the effected dogs out of your control. True any dog can have problems but if you know a particular dog does have problems as a breeder you have a responsibility to deal with it and make sure that the dog is not bred from. How would you deal with it? Sending it to a nice home is not good enough, you loose control of the possibility that the dog may be bred from.

It is more than likely that someone buying a white boxer and then have that dog have health problems would take the breeder to court to extract a good deal of money from them for the distress caused to them and their family, would they risk that? If not they have to keep every white dog themselves, that is not practical and sooner or later boxer breeders will have to come to terms with sorting out their own problems, no one else can do it for them and I would not like it to become common for breeders of what ever breed to find themselves at the wrong end of a court order.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2005, 03:16 PM
wofhite boxers have no more health problems that coloured,apart from the possibilty of deafness, which can also occur in dalmations, and white bull terriers.A friend of mine lost her boxer at 6 to skin cancer she was red and white, another of her dogs who is red has had skin problems since birth, and seemingly the majority of black/brindle (italian imports) are under going studies for heart defects. So to say whites should be culled because of health problem is rubbish!!!!!!
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

17-01-2005, 03:45 PM
White Boxers are the original. Ok so they have problems and yes it would be nice to eradicate these problems through breeding. White Boxers were initially culled at birth because the Boxer was being used by the German police and the white Boxer was more visible at night than its counterparts in Brindle and Fawn.

The thing is as mentioned before Dalmatians have the same problem with deafness, but we dont cull Dalmatians. Why because all dalmatians are carriers of the white gene and this would involve culling all Dalmatians and the end of the breed.

To be honest I believe that White Boxers should be allowed to be part of the breed standard as long as they have been Baer tested.

Culling is wrong on a normal healthy pup for no other reason than they are the wrong colour, something which isnt the fault of the dog but the breeders.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2005, 04:03 PM
There are a lot of people who will not buy a white because it is not recognised by the kennel club, because of the colour they do not conform to the breed standaed. To me my girl is a boxer through and through, she has all the boxer traits, she is a typical boxer in everyway. When I got my dog I did not know about the prejudices regarding the white ones, she was my first boxer, It was not until I got remarks made about her "poor mans boxer", dy"dye her and she would look like a reaL BOXER"did I realise that many people look on them as inferior, which once again I see as rubbish. She is a beautiful dog and every bit as good as the coloured ones.
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

17-01-2005, 04:05 PM
My Saffys better than most Boxers in my eyes!
Page 3 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »