View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 12:57 PM
My vet only sedates for x-rays, not a full anaesthetic so I would always go for x-rays if there was any doubt.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
My vet only sedates for x-rays, not a full anaesthetic so I would always go for x-rays if there was any doubt.
Thank you for that makes it so much easier because if they only sedate at the vet school he will be going for x-rays definitely to assess the damage or not.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

30-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Personally I would not give pain killers or anti inflammatory to a dog with a suspected cruciate problem - the pain is the body's way of saying slow down-take it easy, and taking away the pain can make the problem worse (because the body's self defence mechanism is taken out).

I would try cod liver oil - that helped Rocky a lot with his, and strict rest to see if it heals. What are the negatives? If it doesn't heal and the op is delayed it could cause arthritis later in life (although Rocky never really suffered from it - and we tried strict rest first, which worked for a while but when we thought he was ok we relaxed the rules and he went around jumping everywhere and just did it in again ).

Not sure if that helps - just another viewpoint :/

I think whatever you decide will be fine tbh, there isn't a clear right or wrong way of dealing with it unfortunately.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-03-2012, 02:11 PM
The Rymadil is to ease the inflammation and hopefully ward of more problems till we can get it diagnosed by x-ray.

Being a raw feeder I must admit the thought of Rymadil etc., does not sit well with me but on this I feel have to take expert advice. Dillon gets salmon oil and the vet vits glucosamine and vit c so I am hoping because of that he has a head start on getting better quicker.

I agree Azz it is a difficult call. Because he is so young not quite 5 months she wants it sorted asap to help stop arthritis in him so young.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

30-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
The Rymadil is to ease the inflammation and hopefully ward of more problems till we can get it diagnosed by x-ray.

Being a raw feeder I must admit the thought of Rymadil etc., does not sit well with me but on this I feel have to take expert advice. Dillon gets salmon oil and the vet vits glucosamine and vit c so I am hoping because of that he has a head start on getting better quicker.

I agree Azz it is a difficult call. Because he is so young not quite 5 months she wants it sorted asap to help stop arthritis in him so young.
It must be such a worry for you Lynn, *hug*

It's the one thing that puts me off getting a large breed again - they are just so much more at risk from cruciate/joint problems because of their size.

You certainly seem to have done everything right by him - salmon oil - the lucky thing! if anyone can nurse him better you can and I am sure you will know what's best for him, whatever route you decide on.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
It must be such a worry for you Lynn, *hug*

It's the one thing that puts me off getting a large breed again - they are just so much more at risk from cruciate/joint problems because of their size.

You certainly seem to have done everything right by him - salmon oil - the lucky thing! if anyone can nurse him better you can and I am sure you will know what's best for him, whatever route you decide on.
Thank you Azz I do my best. Sometimes I fear I am doing it all wrong though. Max 41/2 cancer, Ollie 41/2 several rare diseases, Dillon nearly 5 months cruciate problem already. Then of course getting it all wrong with Zanta between Max and Ollie and sending her back to breeder. Things like this really do make me doubt myself and question where am I going wrong or what karma is coming back at me.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
That's fine as I said its only my opinion on what I would do,

Going on Lynn's first post ( which is the one I read) and Dillon seemingly was fine the next day, then I would wait and see.

It's what I would do, not what Lynn should do.
Incidentally, I was not talking about a dog with the "hold off and wait and see" and "she will probably grown out of it" comment. That was what Great Ormond Street Hospital For Sick Children told me about my infant daughter.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Oh Lynn, have only just read & learned about Dillon, so sorry to hear he has been lame and in pain. Poor baby

Glad to hear he is having X-Rays, I hope and pray that it isn't cruciate issues, that would be so sad in such a young dog.

You're best off knowing what it is though and I'm sure you and Dillon will get through it together just fine.

Huge hugs xx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Thank you AM at the moment you wouldn't think there is anything wrong with him. No exercise for 2 days and he is bouncing off the walls. We are finding it extremely hard to stop his puppy bouncing. I fear we may have no hair left by the time this all over.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 06:13 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Dillon. He's just a baby too. No advice (sorry) but a big hug for both of you and I hope it gets sorted out soon.
x
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >