View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 09:19 PM
does the chappie meat stick to the dogs teeth and give them bad breath?
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 04:53 AM
Originally Posted by kirsty_ View Post
My girl doesn't have that problem.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Clearly Chappie helps dogs with sensitive tummies - I've heard lots of anecdotes about how good it is for them. But I have wondered why it is good. It is known as cheap, full of derivatives and additives, things people usually steer away from. But it works, and if your dog is doing great on it, then it must be doing some good. But why is it so good for them if the stuff that is in it is though of as being bad for dogs, if you see what I mean? I am genuinely interested in your opinions on this.

Edited to say: Especially since it often solves problems that expensive 'holistic', and prescription diets can't.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Well, according to my tin, it states:

Vets trust and recommend Chappie...

Ingredients: Fish and fish deritaves (min. 4% fish)Cereals (min. 4%)Meat and animal derivatives (ncl. min 4% chicken)Oils and fats, herbs and minerals.

It also states:

Chappie is fortified with added essential vitamins for perfect balance in your dog's diets.
By using wholegrain maize and wheat, Chappie ensures maximum nourishment, starch for energy and fibre for healthy digestion.

It doesn't state anywhere that there are any nasties in it???

Obviously they have to state everything that it contains, but I can't see any horrible chemicals or anything like that, and all dog food contains animal derivatives doesn't it, plus they have to be to a certain quality under the quality control system they have in place for dog food?
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Well after reading this thread im thinking about trying my pup with chappie puppy tinned if they do it. He is on wagg complete dry mix for puppies and its making him fart LOL. Also his deposits are a bit squidgy lol. My older 2 are great on wagg complete (adult) and both love it bu the puppy farts are making me feel so ill i would try anythng else! (especially as he always seems to fart RIGHT next to me!! YUCK!) x
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Well, according to my tin, it states:

Vets trust and recommend Chappie...

Ingredients: Fish and fish deritaves (min. 4% fish)Cereals (min. 4%)Meat and animal derivatives (ncl. min 4% chicken)Oils and fats, herbs and minerals.

It also states:

Chappie is fortified with added essential vitamins for perfect balance in your dog's diets.
By using wholegrain maize and wheat, Chappie ensures maximum nourishment, starch for energy and fibre for healthy digestion.

It doesn't state anywhere that there are any nasties in it???

Obviously they have to state everything that it contains, but I can't see any horrible chemicals or anything like that, and all dog food contains animal derivatives doesn't it, plus they have to be to a certain quality under the quality control system they have in place for dog food?
There's not necessarily any nasty chemicals in, but generally anything that says 'derivatives' isn't very good because you don't know where it's come from. So out of all the fish that's in it only 4% is actual fish and of the meat only 4% is chicken. That's 8% actual meat in the whole tin! Does anyone else find that shocking?

Most dog and cat foods will use meat and animal derivatives as their only source of animal protein. These consist of heads, feet, guts, lungs, feathers, hair, wool and unborn eggs.
Now, as part of a balanced diet, those things aren't bad for the dog, but 92% of the 'meat' in a tin of Chappie is from the above list.

Cereals are used to bulk out the food and are totally pointless because dogs can't digest them and don't get anything from them apart from filling them up.

Commercial dog food producers have to add loads of vitamins and minerals to their food because it's cooked at really high temperatures. So most of the vitamins etc. that were in the raw materials are destroyed.

I think that's what skilaki meant about the derivatives/additives.

As long as you know what is in it and are comfortable with it, I think it's not a problem.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
There's not necessarily any nasty chemicals in, but generally anything that says 'derivatives' isn't very good because you don't know where it's come from. So out of all the fish that's in it only 4% is actual fish and of the meat only 4% is chicken. That's 8% actual meat in the whole tin! Does anyone else find that shocking?

Now, as part of a balanced diet, those things aren't bad for the dog, but 92% of the 'meat' in a tin of Chappie is from the above list.

Cereals are used to bulk out the food and are totally pointless because dogs can't digest them and don't get anything from them apart from filling them up.

Commercial dog food producers have to add loads of vitamins and minerals to their food because it's cooked at really high temperatures. So most of the vitamins etc. that were in the raw materials are destroyed.

I think that's what skilaki meant about the derivatives/additives.

As long as you know what is in it and are comfortable with it, I think it's not a problem.
No Sarah, you got that wrong, I missed a very important word out there it actually states:

Ingredients: Fish and fish deratives (INCLUDING min. 4% fish) Cereals MINIMUM 4%, meat and animal deratives (INCLUDING MINIMUM 4% chicken, oils and fats, herbs and minerals.

So in actual fact, the 4% here and there are the MINIMUM required, so there's a lot more than the 8% you state.

Protein is 5% btw. There lots of stated vitamins and minerals too which I like and the ONLY additive permitted is colourant, so that's ok by me, definitely no others, nothing nasty.

If vets recommend it, it's pretty high up on my list too for dogs with a sensitive tummy. In an ideal World, we'd probably give them fillet steak every day, that'd be good for them with a few extra's to keep them in top condition, but I don't expect it would agree with them as well as this cheap old Chappie!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Like I said, if you're happy with what's in it and the dogs do well there's no problem Probably the reason why it's so good for sensitive tums is that it's chicken and fish and they are very gentle on the tummy. Like I said at the beginning of the thread I had heard vets recommend it too.

Personally, I would stay well clear of anything that said 'derivatives'.

Vets recommend all kinds of things

Bryan had a chunk of brisket and a chicken wing today and is having a lamb heart and rib tomorrow
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Like I said Sarah, in an ideal World, we'd all feed raw, I tried it, I wanted to do it desperately, but it didn't work for mine at his age I wish I'd been on Dogsey many years ago when I had my puppies, I'd have stuck with it from the start, but there ya go!

Now some of us are in this situation where we have to find a good food (none of it's "good" we all know that, it's basically all c*ap that you wouldn't feed by choice)but one that suits our dog's needs, keeps him happy, lively and well, and perhaps suits some of our pockets too, not mine, I could do the fillet steak route if I wanted, Dave would be quite happy with baked beans , but my dog actually ENJOYS this rubbish and I like what appears the next morning too, and that's good enough for me!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by kirsty_ View Post
No, it's a different consistency than when I used it many, many moons ago, it's not all tacky and fish smelling, it's more crumbly now and darker, not that pink colour it used to be? Hope that helps!
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »