View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Just got back from the vets, my OH and his friend have been bathing the area as it makes me feel quite ill to look at it, they kept telling me it was looking better, shows how much they know as the vet has tonight told me there is now an infection there, I had to have a sit down whilst he was examining Ozzie as I came over all faint. He has had an injection tonight, and is being started on antibiotics tomorrow.

Poor Ozzie is going to have the collar on all over Christmas how sad is that. Looks like daily visits to the vet for the next few days.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Loki had a lump on his throat (huge - the size of an egg) and the vet pierced it. It oozed blood and yuck for weeks but every day we bathed it with hot salty water to bring out the infection and TCP and it cleared up just fine. Keep doing it and hopefully with the antibiotics it should help.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2006, 07:34 PM
I have to bathe it with betadine and water - half and half, it really hurts him and I feel just awfull doing it three times a day. What with that and the collar my poor Ozzie does not see me as his favourite person at the moment.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2006, 07:41 PM
He still loves you Shaza and will realise it's for his own good. They have a great way of making you feel guilty. Cassie once made me feel awful just for putting drops in her ears
At least the vet now knows how to treat it and I'm sure he'll improve soon.
Malinky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Sorry to hear about Ozzie, just wondered if you've come across anything on the web that looks like the sore he has. One of my dogs suffered from a sore on the base of his tail that began weeping and became yellow and matted, anti biotics cleared it but vet didn't come up with a diagnosis. Turned out it was wet eczema caused by damp conditions, below is a link for what it can look like when its bad, does it look like what Ozzies suffering?

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/hotspots.html

Hope hes better soon!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-12-2006, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by shaza View Post
I have to bathe it with betadine and water - half and half, it really hurts him and I feel just awfull doing it three times a day. What with that and the collar my poor Ozzie does not see me as his favourite person at the moment.
Hi Shaza do you happen to have a plastic syringe for basting meat, or an empty plastic squeezy type bottle like a washing up liquid container would do. If so you could put the betadine and water mixture in it and trickle it over the wound gently rather than touching it, this may be less painful for Ozzie.

Poor little Ozzie, hope he is better soon.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2006, 10:55 AM
I'm glad the vet started Ozzie on some anti-biotics and gave him an injection, and hopefully they're working by now. Poor little Ozzie, I hope you're coping with that bathing, it must be quite a trauma for you. Hope he gets better soon.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Was at the vets again tinight, thank god my OH came with me, it was so traumatic. The vet stripped all the dead skin off to allow the septic gunge to be released - I was in tears - poor Ozzie really went through it He had another injection - not sure what it was. He has started his antibiotics this evening also. It just looks so awfull, I can't disturb him at the moment as he has only just settled, but I will try and get a photo of the area - think the injection has just kicked in - the vet said it would take about 1/2 hour to kick in, hense Ozzie has been running round in circles howling for about 1 1/2 hours - heartbreaking. I dont think I'm cut out for this side of things with a dog.

Looks like it's not going to be a good Christmas, serves me right for leaving the present shopping to the last minute. Now I dont want to leave him, so it looks like IOU or money for everyone.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Oh Shaza, I'm so sorry to hear about poor Ozzie, how traumatic for both of you, he always looks such a happy little chap in his photos, I can't bear to think of him being in pain.

Mini had a good idea with the bathing side of things. If I need to clean a wound I usually get the cleaner in a syringe and trickle it over the wound, it doesn't hurt them then.

I'm keeping everything crossed that his antibiotics kick in soon and start fighting whatever it is thats effecting him so badly. Sheree x
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Mini had a good idea with the bathing side of things. If I need to clean a wound I usually get the cleaner in a syringe and trickle it over the wound, it doesn't hurt them then.

Sheree x
Yes, the only problem is, that I was told by the vet to really work the solution into the wound with cotton wool, then to pat it dry of any excess solution with a dry piece of cotton wool.

I can't bear to do it, so I have made the OH come home mid day as we have to do it at least three time aday. The vet does the evening one
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »