Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Dartmoor ponies have just been culled, where were the baying supporters of bloodsports then?

Deer are regularly culled, this is not a blood sport.

Cullling of domestic farm animals goes on every day, this is not a blood sport.

Good Grief, it constantly amazes me how removed so many people are from reality!
i dont believe i am removed from reality. I find that some what offensive.
Again unneccesary comments on a this type of forum continues to amaze me.

The reason is there is based on the info league have provided there is a vacination available which eliminates the need for a cull.

Yes the methods they use are emotive and extreme in getting there point across. However based on the information provided there in this case is no need for the culling of so many badgers.

In highnsight i posted this too rash as i was shocked by the video and tbh now wish i hadnt bothered but i believe the petition is worth sharing as there is no need for the cull
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Have you talked to any farmers or any scientists about the pros and cons of the vaccine?

This issue has been discussed at great length on BBC Radio Farming Today programmes and I think you will find that contrary to what you may hear from those who are not exactly unbiased things are perhaps not as simple as they would like to portray!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Are you aware that over 40,000 cows were culled last year due to TB infection?

So tell me, where are the petitions for them?
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2011, 05:00 PM
yes i have spent a lot of time only recently on aworking farm. However, no i do not no the ins and outs of the vaccine at all. As i say it was just an email i had received which iwaas shocked by. So in fair play to league they done what they intended to with me lol
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2011, 05:01 PM
ps please excuse my poor grammerr and aparant double postss. On my mobile lol
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Are you aware that over 40,000 cows were culled last year due to TB infection?

So tell me, where are the petitions for them?
i dont know i didnt receive an email about them nor was i a member of this forum toshare it i felt it was worth sharing

please stop challenging my judgements ive already said it was an email i received. I have not researched past and current cullings lol. However thank you for highlighting this would prove interesting research for future years
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 05:17 PM
I am afraid I will challenge a post that has been sent to this site by someone who has failed to adequately research the veracity of its source.

This sort of scaremongering is unwise at best and potentially dangerous at best.

Some of us are very involved with dairy farming, its demise and the terrible fallout including the suicide, despair and loss of livelihood of farmers!
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2011, 05:34 PM
i have no issue with that. In fact i thank you for that as i highlighted an error i had entirely overlooked. However i do not agree to a number of offensive comments, i do care with regards to implications to farmers. The fondly named badger set to be a possible champ pedigree ewe had a badger take a meal out of her side. She can now not be used for breeding or of course to show. Im fully aware how annoying afrustrating this can be for a farmer and i truely empathise with them. The farmer now takes embryo from hes instead. I just simply dont believe a cull is necessary when there is a vaccination. However i would be very interested to learn more about the vaccination if you would be willing to share which may actually change my view to be honest.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2011, 05:36 PM
i will ask to learn more regarding this topic when i do my dairy experience. Despite how this started has actually been very informative...well for me anyway
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Cost in developing vaccine is £23m so far and increasing every year.

The vaccination programme actually breaches normal vaccination protocols ie:

a) never vaccinate a stressed or weakened animal

b) never vaccinate against a disease when you have even the slightest suspicion the animal already had it

Trapping and manually injecting badgers results in stress and this compromises the immune system and the effectiveness of the vaccine. In addition a weak badger would fall down the social pecking order and be forced out of the sett and a displaced badger trying to join a sett would lead to fighting, with a high risk of TB transmission.

A weakened badger with no sett is more likely to forage in a farmyard, depositing infected salivar, urine and faeces putting cattle at MORE risk.

Vaccinating apparently healthy animals which could be carrying TB could increase infection and lead to badgers shedding a lot of bacteria and again putting more cattle at risk.

Further to the above it would take at least 10 years of relentless vaccination at the cost of millions of pounds worth of taxpayers money before we would be able to see if the programme worked at all.

Currently TB is on the increas of about 10 - 20% per year.
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »