Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Oh poor you ((((hugs))))) Ive lost my rag and shouted at Cain once or twice when he's really lost it. I always felt absolutely awful afterwards But we're all human and these things happen.

Just to agree with what others have said about allowing him to calm down. Once a dog gets stressed, hormones fly around in their blood and stay up for 3 or so days. His threadhold will bw lower during this time and he'll more more likely to kick off, he won't focus as well and it won't help anything. Avoid anything stressful if possible for at least a few days then start again.

Do you know that old song? "Pick yourself up, brush yourself off, start all over again" Its hard but what's done is done, onwards and upwards!
Thanks, will try to!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Stormpants View Post
I don't think Storm would actually be aggressive to other dogs, I think it's just a lot of noise.

That's what I USED to have, and the behaviourist I spoke to in depth told me that noise is a good thing, the louder the better, BUT, there was always a good 3ft gap between the two dogs. I never dreamed in a million years mine would escalate to an actual "bite" though!

The only time he has 'seemed' to be really aggressive off lead was when he was playing with his ball and a dog tried/or succeeded in stealing it off of him. No blood has ever been drawn though and again it looked and sounded a lot worse than it actually was, so I'm not sure I want to muzzle him at this time. We've had him since almost 9 months now and no dog has ever been hurt by him, though I know there can always be a first time. precisely!See, a difference again, because my dog always lets other dogs take her ball off her and yet she is totally ball obsessed, and once they've got it, she looks at me as if to ask if I'm going to get it back for her, she would never, ever be nasty to a dog who has taken her ball, afterall, she has actually given it to them in the first place sometimes.

From what has been mentioned on here though, it does sound as though he could have Barrier Frustration. So, what I think we're going to try is this and we're going to start from tomorrow:

The only problem is, we don't have anyone to set up a positive meet and greet with.

Anyway, thanks so much for all your help and support!
Good luck for trying to keep your dog and others safe, I'm sure you will win in the end, just takes time and patience and awareness (lots of that!).
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3