View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-06-2005, 09:13 AM
Hi Harlystaff I echo all the things SB says and may I add one more thing, teenage boys of that age are often out a lot so not around as frequently as other family members ,if you put an item of clothing that your son has worn for the little dog to sleep on it will become more familiar with your sons scent and associate it with his bed and good things.Speaking as the mother of sons I know boys can be unintentionally loud and agressive in their speech (as can friends who visit) so maybe suggest you son modifies his voice a little when around the puppy .
Harleystaff
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-06-2005, 10:00 AM
Thanks very much for your time to reply, Will get my son to do as you say Just one thing as sprungg to mind, If i son tell's Harley to go to his bed he will do this fine, but my son has to use a loader tone than say myself,Do you think maybe Harley thinks he can bully him??, i'm sure this is a puppy thing but if not i need to nip this in the bud, As for trainning this is going very well, all the normal , Sit, Stay, come ,Bed, ect are gonig well.

Once again thanks everyone,
Meg
Supervisor

29-06-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by Harleystaff
Thanks very much for your time to reply, Will get my son to do as you say Just one thing as sprungg to mind, If i son tell's Harley to go to his bed he will do this fine, but my son has to use a loader tone than say myself,Do you think maybe Harley thinks he can bully him??, i'm sure this is a puppy thing but if not i need to nip this in the bud, As for trainning this is going very well, all the normal , Sit, Stay, come ,Bed, ect are gonig well.

HS personally speaking with a puppy that age I would tell it to go to bed in a pleasant tone then praise it lots when it does, bed is a 'safe place' not somewhere to go as a punishment
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

29-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Harleystaff

Hi
It sounds as though Harley does not have quite as much respect for your son as he does for you Ask your son to use a firm, but not loud or intimidating, voice when he gives commands. When he tells Harley 'bed' then make sure he rewards the pup when he complies. Get your son also involved in the everydayday training of 'sit', 'come', etc. and to reward Harvey when he obeys. Your pup needs to respect your son's authority, but not to feel afraid or intimidated by him. He may be viewing your son as more of a playmate than anything else.

I really do think that this is just a puppy thing - and puppies will take advantage if they can Just remember that Harley is just a very young puppy and needs firm, but very kind & consistent, leadership.

Let us know how things go, and do not hesitate to get back to us if the problem continues, or if you have any other concerns.

Best wishes
SB
Harleystaff
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-07-2005, 08:51 AM
Sorry should have said, yes the "bed" is used as a safe place we have a rule, when in bed leave alone,
Harleystaff
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Harley is coming on well been using the "watergun" but he seems to snap his jaws a lot but not biting just snapping at fresh air !!!!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3