View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Hi Kate yes of course you and Ruud are remembered! I hope you will all settle here ok and be very happy.

I would say only get another dog because you really want one and have the time/suitable conditions (in a rented house can you have two dogs) .. and resources to cope with another dog.

You may like to try introducing the desensitisation method I mention above to gradually get Rudd used to being left alone, also does he have a kong you can fill with a safe mixture?
Tigger2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2006, 11:20 AM
I've been trying the desensitizing method like you suggested Minihaha. The results dont seem to be consistent. Sometimes when im doing the in and out, Tigs will just sit there and watch. As soon as you approach the door he would stop whining. I always try to wait for a gap in the whining to return as thats what i was told previously to do, so he doesnt think whine=she comes back! However, Im wondering if he's got wise to this, and stops for a while knowing ill come back then?
Ignoring him whilst im in the kitchen doesnt bother him in the slightest as he doesnt seem to be a needy pup when youre with him.
Strangely, on weekday morning when im about to run my daughter to school i can tell him to lie down on his towel and he will. We can then leave the house (he doesnt know OH is in bed asleep) and he will be asleep when i return in 20 mins or so. (OH tells me that *usually* he makes no noise!) AND YET if i climb over the safety gate to pop to the loo (strange house, its downstairs along the hallway by the kitchen where he is) he whines like crazy!
I dont understand it at all
Am i missing something obvious?
Meg
Supervisor

25-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Tigger2 View Post
I've been trying the desensitizing method like you suggested Minihaha. The results dont seem to be consistent. Sometimes when im doing the in and out, Tigs will just sit there and watch. As soon as you approach the door he would stop whining. I always try to wait for a gap in the whining to return as thats what i was told previously to do, so he doesnt think whine=she comes back! However, Im wondering if he's got wise to this, and stops for a while knowing ill come back then?
Ignoring him whilst im in the kitchen doesnt bother him in the slightest as he doesnt seem to be a needy pup when youre with him.
Strangely, on weekday morning when im about to run my daughter to school i can tell him to lie down on his towel and he will. We can then leave the house (he doesnt know OH is in bed asleep) and he will be asleep when i return in 20 mins or so. (OH tells me that *usually* he makes no noise!) AND YET if i climb over the safety gate to pop to the loo (strange house, its downstairs along the hallway by the kitchen where he is) he whines like crazy!
I dont understand it at all
Am i missing something obvious?
Hi Tigger try to return when he is quiet if you can but the main thing is that you don't pay any attention to him when you go in and out.
Don't expect this method to work instantly, it may take weeks and may not have any effect until the puppy is older and gains a little more confidence. If as you say he is fine when left in the morning I don't think there is a lot to worry about, I would just continue with the going in and out so he gets used to your coming and going
Tigger2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Thanks Mini

Reassurance always helps. Tigger certainly seems to be calming down a lot in most areas.
Doesnt try to steal my dirty washing or clean washing anymore or attempt to rip up binbags!
Baby steps isnt it?
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 01:16 PM
hi tigger

i have 5mth old pup like that and have only just started having to leave her. she would make so much noise and i felt really guilty but she was not hurt so silly really.

i have found that beause she is used to being in the room when i have the tv on she has started to settle down if i leave the radio on for her.

i am only at the 10min stage but getting there, it might help.

good luck let me now how you do

sam
Tigger2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Thanks Sam

Yeh, its difficult to remind yourself that theyre in no danger and its not as if you've mind to leave them for any length of time. I keep telling myself that Im doing this FOR Tigger, as he will have a better quality of life if he doesnt automatically become anxious/distressed the minute I leave the room.
Bit like leaving your kids at playgroup.

I will keep you all updated on any progress.
Tania
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-09-2006, 07:40 PM
I agree that ideally they should have the run of the house - however, my husband and I have a few computers and (expensive) HD tv. Therefore when I am out for the day (rarely), our 17wk old pup is put in the kitchen along with our 7.5 year old labx.

However, when I'm at home we have two gates - 1 to the kitchen and 1 to our room. Dogs are allowed access ONLY when I decide they should. Gates are great for making sure you are the first one through. It also means that you could be anywhere in the house and they have to wait.

I know (after leaving my dad secretly upstairs) that the pup will whine and howl when I go - but only for 10 minutes or so and then will promptly start playing with the toys I leave him or go to sleep.

When I'm in he goes to the kitchen to keep me company when I feel like it whilst washing clothes, preparing 'doggy dinner' (BARF) and also when he needs to eat but the others don't.

If he makes a fuss, I ignore him - if he lays down on the floor out of the way, I praise him. However, he is in his chewing stage and I leave him in the kitchen while I'm out because there are no exposed wires there - but we have to clear the worktops or he will jump up and steal things!

If I left him in our room, he could chew wires and electrocute himself (or break my hubbies much-beloved 42inch HD tv). When he has passed this stage, I intend for him to have the run of downstairs (our bedroom is there).

Best thing you can do - if they are in a 'safe' area - ignore the noise, when it is quiet go down and praise.
Tigger2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Update!

I left this morning at 8.15 to drop daughter off at school. Tigger was lying down when I left so I had high hopes for him going back to sleep as he has been doing for the past week or so.
Not today! OH was in bed *trying* to sleep after having done a night shift and Tigger kept him awake most of the morning. He had a snooze by OHs feet as OH snoozed in the front room but at 1pm OH had to go out so Tigger was placed in his crate.
I arrived home at 2.10 to find Tigger ignoring his kong, favourite toys etc, howling like a wolf and scratching the bottom of the crate to bits!
Am a bit worried about future instances.
Meg
Supervisor

29-09-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Tigger2 View Post
Update!

I left this morning at 8.15 to drop daughter off at school. Tigger was lying down when I left so I had high hopes for him going back to sleep as he has been doing for the past week or so.
Not today! OH was in bed *trying* to sleep after having done a night shift and Tigger kept him awake most of the morning. He had a snooze by OHs feet as OH snoozed in the front room but at 1pm OH had to go out so Tigger was placed in his crate.
I arrived home at 2.10 to find Tigger ignoring his kong, favourite toys etc, howling like a wolf and scratching the bottom of the crate to bits!
Am a bit worried about future instances.
Hi Tigger the only thing I can suggest is that you stick with the desensitisation method and use it consistently. It sounds as if Tigger was ok out of the crate ? Does he really need to be shut in?

Once Tigger is used to you going in and out of the kitchen, progress to going in and out of the door using the same method of a few moments at a time gradually increasing, also paying no attention to him when you leave or enter. As I said before don't expect this to work overnight it takes time and maybe weeks until he learns a little confidence and that you will always return, and your going is no big thing.
Tigger2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2006, 04:09 PM
No Mini, Tigs was howling from 8.30 onwards according to my OH. He only calmed down when OH got up and took him into the front room whereupon Tigger fell asleep, enabling OH to get a bit of rest too.
Not something we can do long term, as OH drives for a living! Far too dangerous to go without sleep.

As for the crate, I dont think Tigger would be safe left in the kitchen alone. He is quite a good jumper and would probably end up leaping up onto one of the work surfaces then being unable to get down, or worse trying to jump down onto stone tiles and damaging his legs/hips.

I dont mind leaving him loose when OH is in the house, albeit asleep but not when there is noone home-not while hes a pup anyway. I thought crates were the best way to leave a pup unattended so that they are not harmed.

As for carrying on with the desensitization methods, yes we will. Hopefully in time he will come to see that we always come back.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >