View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2012, 11:02 AM
I went along to the rescue centre very soon after losing our old BC. I said that we weren't looking for another bc, we'd just find any dog suitable that needed a home.
....but we came back with another bc. Different sex and she looks quite different to Kip and has a very different personality. As she came with quite a few issues, she kept us on our toes without us continually comparing her to Kip.

I've never regetted getting her so soon afterwards.

As others have said, only you can know when and what, but I wish you luck in your decision.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Whenever you are ready, or even before, I think sometimes dogs choose you before you are even thinking you are ready, you will know when it is right.
To get one soon after means no less of your dogs passing, it is honouring their memory and knowing that there is a dog needing a good home and remembering how much our past dogs meant to us actually helps us realise why we go through the pain of saying goodbye to them and knowing we would do it all over again.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2012, 01:00 PM
There is no answer, it's such a personal thing. After losing Moon unexpectedly young I was devestated. Before he died, I expected that it would be months, if not years until I could get another dog. But once he did die, I missed having a dog immediately. Not having a waggy tail behind the door when you come home is the worst feeling ever i didn't feel like I was replacing him, and Cain came along within 8 weeks of losing Moon. One word of advice, don't let the heart rule your head too much if you jump in quickly, I did and I ended up with more than I expected But I don't think there's anything wrong with getting another dog quickly if it feels right, or waiting years if that feels right. It varies from person to person, and even with one person from pet to pet. Do what feels right to you
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-07-2012, 02:42 PM
How soon is too soon
There is no 'too soon' for me , I am lost without a dog in the house .

If you are getting a dog from a reliable breeder you will almost certainly have to wait for a puppy so will be dogless for a time anyway.

I am concious of the fact that there may come a time when age will prevent me from having a dog so I won't waste any more time than I have to being 'dogless'.

As to having the same breed, I fell in love with Schnauzers when I saw my first one back in the 60's and I have had one ever since and will continue to do so as long as I am able .
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2012, 10:21 PM
I haven't been to a breeder since i was 6, haha, so do you think a breeder would let me 'visit' even if they didn't' have a litter due? I think it might help me make my mind up
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

31-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
If you are getting a dog from a reliable breeder you will almost certainly have to wait for a puppy so will be dogless for a time anyway.
This rings true to me.

It's a reactive / proactive thing.

Getting a dog can take time even when you plan it long in advance. Getting a dog after the loss of a dog can often mean you're a bit behind in the process.

As per my earlier reply - having lost Fingal we're down to Breagh (5) and Skye (nearly 14) but I'm now looking into a 2nd dog to be with Breagh ahead of loosing Skye
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2012, 12:36 PM
There is no one answer to this. As far as I am concerned the breed is not in question it has to be a GSD & now I try to keep two so if one goes I get another of that sex so I have one of each But back in the eighties when I lost my Cai at only 4 not long after I had lost his mother I was offered a GSD male to replace him but opted for a female so I would not be constantly comparing them, to the detrement of the new one.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-08-2012, 03:53 PM
I saw this little fella in rescue and thought of you

FANAGO..
16 WEEKS OLD
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2012, 12:46 PM
It is such an individual thing and, as has been said many times already, there is no right or wrong decision with this.

In the past, I only left it a few short weeks between getting Flame when my first GSD, Sharna, died. Initially it did feel a bit strange and all I wanted was my old dog back again. Over time though, I came to love Flame as much as Sharna. However, when I lost Moss suddenly and my FIL gave me a sheepdog pup a couple of months afterwards, it just felt wrong and I couldn't bond with the pup, so he went to a good working home instead.

Each case and individual is different.

I can't see me ever being without a GSD, so the breed wouldn't even be in question. You are not replacing one with another but fortunately, our hearts are big enough to be able to hold more than one dog in them Sweep may well see it as a great compliment that you got another CKCS.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2012, 12:56 PM
I managed to last a whole week after losing Mya in May 2011.

I really cannot be "without", even though I do have another dog.

It's a very personal thing, IMO.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >