View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2009, 02:35 PM
I adore brindle Staffs...but on finding Sal's Mom who is dark brindle, I fell in love with the breeding and would not have cared what Colour Sal was, as it turns out she is almost black she has about 10 brindle hairs...thats it. Regardless of colour prefence I choose the breeding that suited me. And a breeder I trust...no good dog is the wrong colour.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2009, 02:37 PM
i would have thought Health and Temperment should be priority over colour!

Leo's come in different variants but when i look for another pup that comes way down the list of requirements.

i dont think you are being fair on the breeder. she has her pups welfare at heart and to be slated by your decisions is a bit below the belt.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2009, 02:42 PM
All things being equal - I would wait 6 months for a colour I wanted, but if it was a specific line or from a specific breeder would be happy with most colours.

I have no desire to own a merle BC and prefer bi over tri colours. There are a few breeders in BCs I trust with health and temperment testing so most people can afford to wait for a dog that ticks all the boxes...

I would imagine it is harder in rarer breeds.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2009, 02:49 PM
I picked Rio based on her colour, as all three bitches in the litter were quite similar in size and temperament at the time. Having said that I wouldn't have gone to a different breeder who had pups ready sooner. We were supposed to have a pup from another litter, but the bitch sadly lost her pups, so we had to wait for the next litter (different parents).

I can imagine that the breeder felt the OP wasn't serious, as she only wanted a specific colour, and was unwilling to wait.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2009, 02:55 PM
I think its sad that there are so many black dogs in rescue. Apparently people believe they are "aggressive", unapproachable and harder to train, or people just dont want the black hairs in their carpet.....sad but true!

Tho I dont think there is anything wrong with picking the colour of choice out of a litter but reckon a lot of people need to be educated on the statistics of dogs in rescue that are black and try and look beyond colour.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
I think its sad that there are so many black dogs in rescue. Apparently people believe they are "aggressive", unapproachable and harder to train, or people just dont want the black hairs in their carpet.....sad but true!

Tho I dont think there is anything wrong with picking the colour of choice out of a litter but reckon a lot of people need to be educated on the statistics of dogs in rescue that are black and try and look beyond colour.
Thats so sad, but very true, there are alot of black animals in rescue, I know when I got Jett my black rabbit, I was told people don't like black animals I am hoping one day to have a black greyhound!!
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
Thats so sad, but very true, there are alot of black animals in rescue, I know when I got Jett my black rabbit, I was told people don't like black animals I[B] am hoping one day to have a black greyhound!!
[/B]

Cool! You wont regret it, they are lovely and very funny dogs!!!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
[/[/B]B]

Cool! You wont regret it, they are lovely and very funny dogs!!!
I know, we went to see my aunt and she has a rescue greyhound and lurcher, both abused... they are absolutely lovely and Codee adored being with them, just waiting for Codee to get a bit older... have already been looking on a greyhound website...
Sorry going off topic....!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2009, 05:02 PM
I trotted off to the GSD Rescue determined to get a shortcoated black and tan and came home with a golden fluffy because she LOOKED at me.
Who could resist?
I think if you want a specific line the colour is not that important - like your child`s hair. You will grow to love it.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
When you get breeds that vary in colour, you will get lovers of all colours, is it superficial to prefer a Brindle over a red, or chocolate over a Black,

You take on the whole package, breed, characteristics, and everything else that goes with it.

I love my Bridles, a big flashy dark Brindle is (for me) to die for... others will say the same about a red.

But if and when push comes to shove , its the dog that counts, but when you have the cloice, whats so superficial in picking a colour you like.

If you go to see a xbred litter or a litter from a shelter, there are 6 pups, one black one black and white, one tri coloured and the rest mixed... all these superficial things along with connecting to said pup will be part of why you choose it
yeah, i know what you mean. i just dont think colour should play such an important part, temperament, health etc should play a more important part than anything. i think if there is a litter of mixed colour pups, with the same health and temperament then it should be a choice of colour but the others should always come first.

when i chose jake, there were 3 pups. two tri-coloured and one black and white. i wanted them all . my mum said she only wanted a boy (shes just used to boys lol and didnt want to deal with seasons) so that left us with a choice between tri-coloured (jake ) and black and white. i chose jake coz of his temperament. he was so excited and wanted to see us (me, my dad and nephew) whereas the other one just wandered around investigating, so i loved that jake was people orientated (regretting that now )

i agree it should be the whole package, not just colour lol.

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I think if you want a specific line the colour is not that important - like your child`s hair. You will grow to love it.
i agree 100%
Page 3 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »