Female 

13-12-2004, 03:12 PM
rofl Laura, I bet she looked a sight.

Typical bloke tho, sleep through everything
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2004, 03:16 PM
Mind you i cut Hollys food down the beginning of this summer as she had got a bit broad through the winter months She had just got her nice trim shape back again and was missing her food.
We were out walking in the field and she went missing and i panicked she wouldn,t come and i was calling and calling her name when i heard a strange sound coming from some bushs as we were frantically searching for her. On closer inspection we found her guzzling down a packet of digestive biscuits that some kids must have left there. Her mouth was so full of biscuits that she was coughing and spluttering as she was frantically trying to finish them before we could get them from her. Dieting doesn,t go down well with Holly as she loves food and is a dustbin picks up bread left out for the birds, infact if its edible she,ll eat it. She never sniffs at her food before eating it, she just eats whatever is in her bowl .
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2004, 03:27 PM
lol no wonder she was coughing have you tried to eat more than a couple of biscuts at a time.

Well Cassy I have never had to work at keeping weight off she is naturally very lean, I did though have to work at toning her up though but shes never had a big appetite until recently that is .

Anyway for a wee funny I may have told this before my old boss used to bring her labrador into work he was very old, very obedient but also a bit of a character. Anyway one day she had him out in the woods, he had disappeared for a while but nothing new so she carried on heading home, eventually he caught up with her. They got home and dried off etc and he started to cough, then he spat something onto the carpet, then walked along then spat out/coughed up something else then along another bit and the same then along again and another black lump upon closer inspection she found out it was actually deer hoves - yes he must have been away munching on a dead deer feet an all lol. It was rank to say the least lol. I think he learnt a lesson tho
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-12-2004, 03:30 PM
yuk
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2004, 03:31 PM
Ewwwww yuck, I don;t think you've posted that story b4 Laura
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2004, 03:50 PM
my bum is living proof of that
lol@ Inca
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Awwww yuk !
StaffordFan
Dogsey Junior

15-12-2004, 02:44 AM
Originally Posted by Laura ISBT
Just wondering if anybody had experienced increased apetite in a bitch or what the reasons for this could be.

Cassy is usually pretty good about food, she gets her feed once a day and nothing else except for a nylabone or on occasions a pigs ear as I am very fickle about what they eat and how much as I like to keep them as lean as possible. Anyway, to cut a long story short she isn't really a scrounger and just takes what she is given and when and never looks for any more - usually anyway.

However, over the past few days her appetite seems to have increased hugely. I have woken up a couple of nights in a row with her in the bin in the kitchen and yesterday she snatched something out of my hand which she NEVER ever does, she knew instantly that she was bad but skulked away into the corner with the food after a row of course. I gave Kip her feed and Cassy was straight in Kips bowl even though again she knew she was in the wrong but it was almost as if she couldnt help herself. As well as this if myself or Kyle has had any food she is literally right under our noses begging sniffing at the floor and trying to eat anything she can even when outside my neighbour had left some bread for the birds and I literally had to drag her away from it, very embarrasing too. Again I will say she has not ever been this way before and has always had very good manners when it comes to eating. On Saturday night we went out for a few hours came home and in the morning I was clearing up and came accross a box of pringles in her bed (eaten) this was a full box before we left the house so she must have stolen the box and piged out on them. It seems strange that this has occured just very quickly and I am not sure whether this behaviour metits a visit to the vets or not - any ideas?

I know its not worms as she was wormed 2 weeks ago and is always wormed every 3 months religiously, she hasnt changed in herself an awful lot just doing a lot of scavenging so I am at a loss to explain what is going on with her.

Thanks
Laura
Hi L ,

You say she is fed once a day? How much feed is she getting.? You say you have started to condition her this year? You do know an increase in exercise means more fuel for the fire? IMHO she is not getting the requirements that’s needed to suppress hunger between meal(s), i could list MANY a conditioning programme which the canine athlete receives 4 meals per day (not large meals of course) but well proportioned and scientifically balanced for the needs. Basically, the four smaller meals speeds up the metabolism which in turn burns the correct fuel within the canine, this is off course a dog which is receiving allot more exercise than usual.

Try this yourself, go to the gym and push yourself a tad hard. Come home and DONT eat until your next mealtime. Say you have gone to the gym at 1:30 - shortly after lunch, then don’t eat until 6:00'ish (id bet 100 quid you wouldnt last!)THIS is how your dog feels hence scrounging etc Ohh and when it comes to snapping the food from your hand, dogs are opportunist feeders, this is a life or death sensation for the dog. Drastic measures are required in his or her mind. Your dog requires a decent meal (carb based) a few hours before exercise (conditioning/to endure strength) and then a half hour after (max an hour) to spike insulin withing the system. I could go on for hours on the topic as i have been an avid student on this topic for some time and have a tad experience. Basically, you dog aint getting enough.

JMHO

SF.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2004, 08:04 AM
Maybe my wording was wrong she was being conditioned during the summer and judging by the results I had her diet was just right and no it wasn’t the 1 meal a day then.

She isn't being worked as hard right now so she went back to her 1 meal a day with less exercise (the same as she before - 1½ hours a day). This is being fed at 5pm each night about 1 cup of kibble (eagle pack) with mince/tuna/sardines added as well as a half cup in the morning with her primrose oil through it (which I never really considered a meal as its pretty small). Thanks for the pointers

Thanks
Laura

StaffordFan
Dogsey Junior

15-12-2004, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the pointers

Thanks
Laura

Hi L,

No probs I always think its hard to photograph white staffords to show muscle defination and or tone, dont you? She looks a healthy stafford !

SF
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >