Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I didn't mean literally, I just meant that they don't really compare to a natural animal's diet, like a vegan diet doesn't.
I see what you mean and you are right they don't compare.
Naturally carnivores eat the whole animal carcase, including the stomach contents of the herbivore.
I believe it is not advisable to feed a dog a 100% vegan diet (no matter what personal morals or preferences a person might have for themselves). It is also quite difficult for a human being to maintain themselves healthily on a 100% vegan diet, let alone keep a dog healthy on one - and we are omnivores. To do so requires informed nutritional knowledge (and it is often advised that humans should have initial input and monitoring from a dietitian).
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 12:40 PM
I don't agree to it, I think that being a pet owner means doing the best by your pet, even if its not your most fav thing, and I don't think that feeding a animal like a dog on a vege diet is the best, they are designed to eat all sorts, they are scanvengors, but I don't think that means that they are suited to a all vegan diet, and tbh it annoys me that people do this.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I don't agree to it, I think that being a pet owner means doing the best by your pet, even if its not your most fav thing, and I don't think that feeding a animal like a dog on a vege diet is the best, they are designed to eat all sorts, they are scanvengors, but I don't think that means that they are suited to a all vegan diet, and tbh it annoys me that people do this.
They're not designed to eat processed, dehydrated kibble either though. Not many people feed dogs as they're "designed" to eat but that doesn't make it a totally unsuitable choice.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2011, 01:18 PM
I feed as much raw as I can. She catches her own rabbits and eats those too. She also gets our scraps. I do feed a complete food because it has green lipped muscle in for her joints.
Saying that, she loves cooked potatos so, she does get veg but, only because she likes it so much.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 07:53 PM
I wouldnt contemplate feeding my dogs a veggie or a vegan diet, even though, until recently, I had been a veggie myself for most of my life.

I want whats best for my dogs and I believe thats a diet which, at the very least, includes a bit of meat, preferably without cereals involved!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Does everyone who'd replied on here feed raw or do some of you feed commercial diets? Considering the majority of kibbles etc. contain grains and other ingredients that wouldn't feature in a carnivore's diet. Not that I'm criticizing kibble, I've fed it and would probably feed it again if raw wasn't an option for my dogs in the future.
To answer your question...I feed kibble (Arden Grange) to Teagan, not raw
She was fed on raw as a youngster, but
1) I don't actually have the freezer space for raw for her (or space for another freezer).
2) She resource guards food/toys (not with humans), and as I had another dog in the house at the time, it was making her agressive, even if the other dog walked past where she had eaten an hour ago, so it wasn't safe for them both.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by JuliePup View Post
Hi all. I have been hearing lately about vegan diets for dogs becoming more popular. I've heard that they can thrive on a plant diet, while cats don't do so well on it. I've also been reading that many dog foods (even the most "high quality" ones) contain the meat from rendered & euthanized animals. I don't know how true any of this is, and I'm not looking to change my dogs' diet really, but I was just very curious about all of this. Do any of you have your dogs on a vegan diet, or do you know of any dogs who have tried it??? What are everybody's oppinions on this??? Thanks for your input!!!
I do know of a dog who was on a vegetarian diet, and he dang nearly died, he was in a terrible state with rotten teeth and hair loss.

Dogs need meat - they have the teeth for eating meat and grinding bones, therefore that is what they should eat.

They may be able to "exist" on a plant diet, but they certainly would not thrive or be healthy.

As for cats, absolutely not. They are strictly carniverous and it would be incredibly cruel to feed them on a vegetarian or vegan diet.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 12:14 PM
I know lots of raw "extremists" who would use many of the same arguments seen on this thread - dogs are carnivores, they have canines for a reason, they don't enjoy munching on a carrot, etc. to argue against kibble as a whole, vegan or not, so I find it interesting to see these reasons. Does everyone who'd replied on here feed raw or do some of you feed commercial diets? Considering the majority of kibbles etc. contain grains and other ingredients that wouldn't feature in a carnivore's diet. Not that I'm criticizing kibble, I've fed it and would probably feed it again if raw wasn't an option for my dogs in the future.

I don't know the science behind vegan diets and I would not recommend them if, as someone suggested, there's evidence to suggest it could cause issues like heart problems, but I would not judge someone for it unless I went out and did the research to prove there was a valid objection to it. I personally don't see why a vegan would go out and adopt a pet that should be eating meat but I imagine a vegan carefully researching a suitable vegan dog food probably puts a lot of thought into nutrition and monitoring the dog for issues, and their dog may well be healthier overall than someone feeding their dog on a cheap food like Bakers or Pedigree. There's so little meat in some of the cheaper commercial brands out there that I bet half of them are practically vegan diets!
I would stress the importance of researching a dog's diet and the longterm effects whether you feed raw, kibble, wet food, vegan food or any other option but I wouldn't immediately say it was cruel to feed a dog vegan food.
All raw in our house! And raw carrots, which they love munching up, but pass them out undigested in their poos.
And raw bones, chicken wings and offal.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 12:31 PM
My friend went through a vegan stage and she passed this diet on to her dog (and her parents were made to be vegan too-she was a bit bossy!).

I don't think it is very balanced as dogs are usually fed meat and just because you don't want to eat meat you shouldn't force this choice on to your dogs in my opinion unless medical grounds for it.

However, her dog did live to be 17 so imagine it didn't harm it in any way.

I'm vegetarian but I am happy to cook meat for my dogs but not sheep's head or other things like this however as the thought makes me retch!
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2011, 07:02 AM
I couldnt imagine giving my dog a solely vegetarian or vegan diet. Dogs are designed to eat meat - they wouldnt have big pointy teeth if they weren't meant to eat it! I dont like it when people impose their diets on dogs or animals. I think dogs should have a healthy balanced diet which includes meat so that they get all of the nutrients and energy that they need.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >