View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 08:31 PM
just seen a litter of dobe pups, pups are free to good home, mobile number. Bet there a catch there!?!

'doberman male. one and half year old doberman male kc regered selling due to still have mother do not want in breeding black and tan '

'Why? "Doberman puppy for sale due to birth of unexpected child."
Black and Tan Puppy fully vaccinated 7 months old and pedigree papers available'

Going to stop looking as getting annoying now
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
just seen a litter of dobe pups, pups are free to good home, mobile number. Bet there a catch there!?!
Ring them - I know I would have to..and if it is serious I would be inclinded to give them a little advice on how bad it could be to give puppies away!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Bet its some sort of scam .. They will be in scotland and ask for money to ship...Then money for vet bills and so on and on ....
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Ring them - I know I would have to..and if it is serious I would be inclinded to give them a little advice on how bad it could be to give puppies away!
They will change their mind when you phone and put a price on.

Iv phoned places before to ask where I could come and see the pups.....got no where, that was apparently Devon they are also docked and he cant tell me where as its a loophole that he has some deal with DEFRA, idiot PF Still see his ads all the time. Uses site photos too. He cant remember the names of his dogs that they are bred from......

Only seen two litters in Scotland in my quick search around, one at £800 and one at £600 both could seen with Dam, VWD tested blah blah, KC reg. (for dobes that is) so not sure why someone would pay £200 extra if they just want a pet dobe since the last one was 'type of scenario'
scotia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2010, 08:46 PM
I don't have a problem with breeders charging a high price, as long as those pups have been properly bred from health tested parents etc. There's a lot of work involved in properly bringing up a litter of puppies to 8 weeks old, expensive health testing, sleepless nights etc, if the breeder manages to make a profit (no guarantee of that) then I don't have a problem with it. I don't breed btw.

Some people just aren't prepared to pay the going rate for a dog who will hopefully become a member of their family for the next 10-15 years, yet the same people would quite happily go out and spend £500 on a new tv, or throw away £40 a week on cigarettes or on a night in the pub. It's all about priorities.

If somebody pays £500 for a dog and it lives for 10 years, then it's cost them approximately £1 a week - what else can you buy for £1 a week that brings so much joy?
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 08:49 PM
From a buyers perspective i find it odd that prices differ for different breeds, surely the cost of the breeding is deteremined more by how many pups the bitch has rather than the 'breed', this may be simplistic but is it not the 'pricing' of the breed that is partly responsible for some dogs becoming 'designer' dogs, in that they cost a lot so become a status symbol etc.

I know vet prices vary slightly across the country etc and there could be a variation over the country etc but for some puppies to be £400 and some £1000 seems odd.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by scotia View Post
If somebody pays £500 for a dog and it lives for 10 years, then it's cost them approximately £1 a week - what else can you buy for £1 a week that brings so much joy?
I agree, but to us money is not such an issue, and from our experience of all of just over two months of dog ownership, you spend way more than that buying all the stuff the dog needs, stuff he doesnt need but you like and want him to have, and the stuff you need to be able to take him out without freezing your bits off and then the ongoing costs of insurance, vets, worming/fleaing and food! The cost of the dog pales into insignificance fairly quickly!

But so far we have loved pretty much every minute, are looking foward to adolescence!! and all being well getting another ESS next year to be his friend!!!
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by Rolosmum View Post
From a buyers perspective i find it odd that prices differ for different breeds, surely the cost of the breeding is deteremined more by how many pups the bitch has rather than the 'breed', this may be simplistic but is it not the 'pricing' of the breed that is partly responsible for some dogs becoming 'designer' dogs, in that they cost a lot so become a status symbol etc.

I know vet prices vary slightly across the country etc and there could be a variation over the country etc but for some puppies to be £400 and some £1000 seems odd.
I'm not a breeder but from how I see it, the cost varies depending on breed for lots of reasons. For example, smaller breeds have smaller litters and so are more in demand which could potentially raise the price of a pup. Similarly, certain breeds may be more likely to need a caesarean than others which may also mean the price of puppies is higher. Also, some breeds may require more health tests or the price of the sire may be more expensive so the price needs to include that.

I think you also have to take into account the standard rate of other dogs of the same breed. Whilst ethical breeders don't care about making a profit or even breaking even, if they sell their pups for £300 cheaper than the majority of other pups of the same breed are being sold for then you can guess the sorts of people who are going to be inquiring.

I think the price of dogs doesn't so much play a major factor in certain breeds becoming status symbols as trends and celebrities do.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
I think the price of dogs doesn't so much play a major factor in certain breeds becoming status symbols as trends and celebrities do.
Yes you are probably more correct there!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post

'doberman male. one and half year old doberman male kc regered selling due to still have mother do not want in breeding black and tan '

'Why? "Doberman puppy for sale due to birth of unexpected child."
Black and Tan Puppy fully vaccinated 7 months old and pedigree papers available'

Going to stop looking as getting annoying now
i look at litters of dobermann all the time. it annoys me how anyone can get rid of a dog because they are having a baby. drives me mad
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >