Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
Spooky, I was wondering that too.Why would get rehome your dog if it showed signs of an inherited disease. Just curious too?
To be honest I'm having problems, I've got 3 bitches and 3 dogs and the older of the three are not excepting the youngsters and I've got constant fighting (my 14 month old has been bitten twice ) The neighbours are moaning and the only solution we can see is to move the one with the biggest hips scores on, Its not ideal but we cant agree on another solution.
The majority of dogs with above average hip scores never suffer any problems (Morgie was 66 and jumping walls till the day he died), but I wouldnt breed from them as were trying to eradicate the problem.
Were devasted were even having to consider this but its either this or move one of the two older dogs on and we cant part with them.
At least I have an excellant home waiting if neccessary and I will be able to go see the dog as its a close friend.
As an add on the problem with breeding and showing is its very easy to end up with loads of dogs that for some reason or other end up not meeting the breed standard (Woody's very strong in the head and ended up slightly cow hocked but he was a stunning pup), and if I want to continue to show I'll have to make room eveuntually for another puppy so we feel its better to move two of the youngsters on free to a good home now before we get further attached if thats possible
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 02:42 PM
I think you can get defects in any breed.

I spent ages researching before we got Ozzy, being very picky with which lines we were choosing from etc. His parents had great hip scores and temperaments - but even after all that effort, he still ended up with cruciate problems, demodex etc amongst other things.

Marius however (touch wood) hasn't ailed a thing and seems to have a stomach like iron!! My first Rottie, Brandy was the same, she lived until 10.5yrs bless her
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
To be honest I'm having problems, I've got 3 bitches and 3 dogs and the older of the three are not excepting the youngsters and I've got constant fighting (my 14 month old has been bitten twice ) The neighbours are moaning and the only solution we can see is to move the one with the biggest hips scores on, Its not ideal but we cant agree on another solution.
The majority of dogs with above average hip scores never suffer any problems (Morgie was 66 and jumping walls till the day he died), but I wouldnt breed from them as were trying to eradicate the problem.
Were devasted were even having to consider this but its either this or move one of the two older dogs on and we cant part with them.
At least I have an excellant home waiting if neccessary and I will be able to go see the dog as its a close friend.
As an add on the problem with breeding and showing is its very easy to end up with loads of dogs that for some reason or other end up not meeting the breed standard (Woody's very strong in the head and ended up slightly cow hocked but he was a stunning pup), and if I want to continue to show I'll have to make room eveuntually for another puppy so we feel its better to move two of the youngsters on free to a good home now before we get further attached if thats possible
Thanks for answering.
I do understand now,I feel sorry for you that you may have to rehome some of your dogs. Tough decision.
I hope it all works out for you
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
what if your NEW puppy is fighting with the elders? how do you know this wont happen, if the elders dislike the pup are you gonna move that one on too?
What happens if New pup doesnt pass health tests for breeding?

Personally, and i dont know your situaion outright but i would put showing and breeding on hold till you reduce the numbers of dogs you have as you cant guarantee they will all get on. esp if you admit you are having difficulties coping with the ones you have now....
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Excellent thread....with the problems i have been having lately it has made me think about health issues in dogs generally.

Newfoundlands i think are quite un-healthy dogs as i put it

The sheer size of them can cause no end of problems, but again i also know newfies that have had no problems at all.

I own 2 dogs my newfie is full of problems, yet i researched like mad before i purchased her and that was because my first newfoundland had leg problems. I payed top wack ahd she had had all the relevant health test, heart hips etc. But again we are in the same boat, so the research didn't really help me.

Kai my shiba inu was purchased for £70 at 6 months old, i new very little about the breed, never checked any history and touch wood at 7 yrs old is very healthy with no problems. We always say now he will probable last longer than jess who is 1 but time will tell.

I think it is luck of the draw.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
what if your NEW puppy is fighting with the elders? how do you know this wont happen, if the elders dislike the pup are you gonna move that one on too?
What happens if New pup doesnt pass health tests for breeding?

Personally, and i dont know your situaion outright but i would put showing and breeding on hold till you reduce the numbers of dogs you have as you cant guarantee they will all get on. esp if you admit you are having difficulties coping with the ones you have now....
My problem is the dogs that are fighting the puppy bitch and the young bitch arent a problem. I have father and son and they hate each other, i was wondering if i bought him home to later he was 16 weeks old and already quite dominant over his sister then too be honest I made the mistake of allowing hin upstairs with the others when his sis was at my mums in season. After that we've has ww3/
With regards to showing its our hobby and we enjoy it so no we have no intention of giving up but I'm sure like many other people we've found ourself with a couple who arent really good enough so theres no point showing them.
If I breed again and I get a stunner I'll be keeping providing its a bitch as too many males in the house seem to be a problem.
By the way I keep all my dogs inside I dont have kennels.
Travis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2007, 05:12 PM
I did loads of research before I got my boy,I waited nearly 2 years for my pup as I wanted a pup from a particular breeder,parents HT fab temperaments,but he has awful skin and allergy problems,am often asked if I would use him for breeding as he has passed all his HT with flying colours,and is a great specimen for the breed,and as our gene pool is so small,but no way would I take the chance of him passing on his problems to puppies,he is in fab condition now,but 18months ago he was in a terrible state,Ihave to keep an eye on him and watch out for the signs where his allergies are concerned
maddmaggie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2007, 07:13 PM
myself personally think that there arn't many breeds that don't have health problems, its just a chance you have to take, my first cavalier ben, he's parents where show dogs, the breeder said that they where eye and heart tested and were clear, but i never got to see the certificates, ben died when he was just 7 years old, due to a grade 5 heart murmor, fluid on the lungs (caused by the strain on his heart, and a prolapsed disc, it was very sudden he just collapsed on night our vet did everything she could, but ben just gave up. when i started looking for todd, i bleed the internet dry, finding out alsorts of info, i got in touch with breeders, one, when i asked about certifates got really shirty with me, so i think its just luck as many breeds do have health problems.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 07:25 PM
I agree it is luck, you perhaps limit your chances of getting a dog with problems ,but sometimes a dog just seems to have bad luck health wise

I am having my utonagan hipscored t but I am having it done so I have a better idea of what his hips are like. I don't intend to use him as a stud, I just want to know. I think it also builds up a good picture for such a young breed if you can see what all the dogs hips are like not just the breeding stock. but that is me personally.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-11-2007, 07:27 PM
I think all breeds have problems, it is just different types.
There are other factors of growth on some breeds that should also be considered as they can affect a dogs health.
But saying that the problems toby has with his bladder is rare, and leo's aren't known for it ( trust me to get 1 that has to be different) and there is no way of testing for it.
I think as long as you do your research into a breed, accept what could be a health problem, if it happens in your dog. Then at least you know the possible health issues when making the final choice.
It is just some breeds are more prone to problems than others.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >