View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2007, 09:27 PM
My Gremlin over the last couple of months has had a lump come up in the same place but it also went down as fast as coming up after being raised for anything up to a day each time. Her eye would be a little watery each time as well so it looked like a blocked tear duct in her case too. Turned out to be an abscess brewing there which finally came up enough to drain a few days ago which also meant being able to apply antibiotic powder once there was a tiny opening and its all healed up lovely now
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2007, 10:31 PM
thanx for that info patch , did your dog eat ok with this abcess ??, icey still has this lump , so shes had it all day now .
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by rosegallagher View Post
thanx for that info patch , did your dog eat ok with this abcess ??, icey still has this lump , so shes had it all day now .
She did go off her food a little a couple of times, she needed softer food as crunching anything must have been a bit sore so at those times I gave her Hi Life moist as the pieces are so small and very soft plus she found them very appetising - any help ?

It did seem to speed up getting the abscess to surface for draining when little T`Akaya kept licking at the site whenever it was raised as a lump, [ Gremlin seemed happy to let her, it must have been soothing ]. Normally though I would have used warm compresses to bring it on like we would a boil on a human - it might be worth trying that for the soothing aspect at least until seeing the vet, as whatever the cause it might give some gentle relief from soreness, [ unless its a knock in which case cold compress might be better but your instincts will probably lead toward which might help the most ?
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2007, 11:07 PM
icety eats her dry food ok, eats slowly but eats it all , i ad some warm water to it & it does make it a bit softer for her , she has to eat this dry foods as its a vet diet for her colitis , so eating seems ok for her . Don't think its a knock as its in same place as last time . Lump is a few inchs in size i would say , will have to try & get a pic of it .
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by rosegallagher View Post
icety eats her dry food ok, eats slowly but eats it all , i ad some warm water to it & it does make it a bit softer for her , she has to eat this dry foods as its a vet diet for her colitis , so eating seems ok for her . Don't think its a knock as its in same place as last time . Lump is a few inchs in size i would say , will have to try & get a pic of it .
A pic would be very useful as I would be able to make a comparison to Gremlins - that does`nt mean its the same cause of course, so please don`t pin anything on it so to speak, I would`nt want to steer you in the wrong direction and its the vet who has the medical training, not me
When Grems lump was at full size that side of her face made her look a bit like a Bull Terrier btw, which was down to her tissues fighting the abscess site so a bit fluidy but firm-ish at the same time, I think that aspect of the swelling is what was making her eye a bit watery more than anything, from the bit of pressure.
It did`nt seem to cause her pain particularly, I can only liken it to when we hoomins have a fat lip which feels a bit strange but not painful as such, at least that`s the most she indicated about it really, I`d have known if it was really hurting her.
I could have had it drained by the vet but at her age I did`nt want her having sedatives or GA unless urgent or causing her difficulties, plus finding out it was`nt a real nasty, which strange lumps usually cause us to worry ourselves sick over, meant I could home treat hers confidently and was just a matter of time really though she would have had painkillers and anti-biotic tabs if the vet felt she`d needed them.
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Here you go patch not a great pic but shows the lump below left eye area , runny eye too , small lump & gone down a little this am , but still there & visible

rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2007, 04:55 PM
well vet says ice possibly has a deep root infection , booked in for tuesday for an x ray of her skull & remove infec ted tooth if this is the problem , if not then will have to take a sample of the swollen area & send it off for testing , now on rimadyl / antibiotics until monday pm .
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Sorry to be so long to respond, I had to go out for the afternoon and am just catching up now

The pics do show very similar to Gremlins lump for shape but your lads swelling is a little further down so yep his does look to be over a tooth root line, lower than Grems enough to have probably been a different initial cause and a little too low to have been tear duct, [ at a guess ]. The swelling coming up fast then going down again over the same sort of time span is so similar though I`d be surprised if its not an abscess, [ whether a tooth cause or not ], so try not to be alarmed at the thought of testing, hopefully it won`t come to that, and really I would`nt be surprised if antibiotics don`t make much difference if already a build up of pus in there, it might hopefully be similar to Gremlins of just needing time to get to the surface enough to drain naturally, [ well, with a bit of help from slight pressure and dry swabs ], but if it is definitely a tooth problem, once its whipped out that should be that
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2007, 07:24 PM
cheers patch , when he saw ice he could see she had the lump on her face even if it was smallish , will let you know how she gets on after tuesday , thanx for your input/ help on this subject .
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Poor girl, hope all goes well for her. x
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >