View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ayak
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Sarah I feed them cooked because Beki likes them that way...and I also use the stock and some meat, mixed with rice and vegetables. She has never had a problem with digesting the bones in 5 years. She doesn't get compacted faeces, they're perfectly normal. I've had her since she was 2 weeks old, and she's a wonderfully healthy dog and very content (Have a look at her pic on the pics thread and you will see for yourself).

I would never have fed the dogs I had when I lived in England on chicken bones, for the reason you mention, but that's because I was (like many others) brainwashed into believing that you had to feed dogs on canned dogfood or complete dry food. So of course they wouldn't be used to chicken bones. If they start eating them early enough it's not a problem.

And of course chicken bones are a rich source of calcium and Beki has perfect teeth!
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-12-2008, 05:40 PM
I have fed chicken wings, carcass etc for a very long time but always raw as they are soft but when cooked they become brittle and this is when problems can arise as the sharp shards of bone can tear the intestines on the way through.It is definately a BIG NO NO in my opinion as the digestive enzymes do not break down the cooked bone as they would raw bone.Each to their own but no matter what age a dog is i would not advise feeding cooked chicken bones......Cheers..Ian.
Ayak
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-12-2008, 06:47 PM
I appreciate your comments Ian, and understand completely what you are saying...which is why I checked it out with a vet a few years ago who assured me it was perfectly safe. I have watched Beki when she eats chicken bones..she chews them until they are like pulp ie no sharp pieces before she actually swallows them.

If you could see the many street dogs eating far worse things from the rubbish bins in this country, and surviving, cooked chicken bones would be the least of your worries.
ajshep1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-12-2008, 10:22 PM
I'll break the mould and admit I do on occasion feed my dogs cooked chicken bones, they get the carcass after a roast dinner etc. That's my risk though and I always advise others against feeding cooked bones.

When my cats ate the carcass while we were sat down eating, I was concerned and called my vet who said not to worry, which made me wonder just how harmful they really can be, that's why I don't worry about feeding them to my dogs.

I do believe there is a greater risk from cooked bones than raw but I doubt it is as big a risk as we are led to believe.
Ayak
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks for mentioning that ajshep. I have been assured they are not dangerous. I have many friends here with dogs who also give them cooked chicken bones and I haven't had any reports of problems.

I have rescued many dogs here off the streets, fed them the same diet, re-homed them with no problems. And as I mentioned my dog has been on this diet for nearly 5 years.

I was beginning to regret having commented at all on this thread...that's all it was...a comment i.e. my opinion. I didn't expect to be so heavily criticised by people who clearly think they know better than me. I've had dogs all my life...for more than 50 years...and I've never killed one yet!
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi Ayak, not sure if your last post was aimed at me but i was just stating my opinion and as i said each to their own. It makes no difference to me how long you have had dogs;how many you have rescued off the streets, and what you feed them to be honest. I am stating experiences of dogs that have been fed cooked bone and ended up having major surgury hence the reason for my opinion which i am entitled to as you are yours.....Cheers...Ian..
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Ayak View Post
And of course chicken bones are a rich source of calcium and Beki has perfect teeth!
Thanks for the reply Ayak

If your dog is fine on that diet then that's great. I too am a believer in non-commercial dog food, but I believe that raw is best
Ayak
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-12-2008, 12:05 AM
No it wasn't aimed at you Ian, I accepted your post as your opinion.

It was actually Sarah who I thought was a little over-critical in her original response to my post, but having just read Sarah's last post, maybe I misinterpreted her response.

So my apologies to both of you if I caused any offence.

I am interested in all comments and respect differing opinons. I think we can all learn a great deal from sites like this.
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Hi Ayak, no need for apologies to me as it seems i totally misinterpretated your reply.As you say a lot can be learn't from sites like this and people's varying opinions and experiences.
Sorry if i have taken this thread off topic...Cheers..Ian..
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Hi Ayak,

sorry, I was just a little alarmed about the cooked chicken bones because I've been told all my life not to give them to dogs.

Sorry if I sounded over critical, that wasn't my intention.

xx
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >