Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Bedlamitis View Post
I am not putting anything more on this forum as I am struggling enough with this without having strangers telling me how useless and selfish I am and how much my dog is suffering because of me. Good luck to those of you who are lucky enough to have endless time and money to put into their dog and thank you to those of you who have given me advice to actually help me rather than criticise.
You really seem to have decided we all hate you and want you to get rid of your dog but this isn't the case at all, even if you don't want to post on the forum anymore then please so consider some of the advise on here because the majority of us have given good advise that doesn't require endless time or money.
LillyRose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-09-2010, 10:00 PM
As well as his tug, how about play hide and seek with pieces of kibble around the front room/house? This will also tire him mentally and allow him to use his brain.Dogs enjoy these kind of games because dogs enjoy working things out - as I suggested similarly with the puzzle cube in my reply before, which is reward based the more he plays with it.

I know you said you may not be back after your last post but people on here genuinely want to help.You will always get honesty on here even if it can read a little harshly at times.I don't think there was any malice intended before,Bedlamitis
Bedlamitis
New Member!
Female 

11-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Final post then I am closing my account. I have given this much thought whilst walking Reggie for 2 hours this morning. The whole emphasis here is on training dogs with positive reinforcement but the same method does not seem to apply to the owners who come on here looking for help and trying to do the best for their dogs. I really feel people should think before replying as positive advice is what is being sought so that people can feel that they are able to help their dogs. Comments such as being told you have the wrong breed or should not leave it so long when you have to work are not helpful - what are these people suggesting that the owners give their dogs away rather than try to help them? I realise that people are expressing their honest opinions but sometimes that is not what is required and a little more tact would be more helpful. I am sure no-one here wants people seeking advice to go away feeling that they have failed.

I am now closing my account and will continue to sort this out on my own and hopefully with the help of the Dogs Trust and a class.

Good luck to everyone else.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Lasted all of 5 minutes here. One crunch from Rupes jaws rendered it useless and left sharp edges.
oh dear! not so good then!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Bedlamitis View Post
I am now closing my account and will continue to sort this out on my own and hopefully with the help of the Dogs Trust and a class.

Good luck to everyone else.
that's a great idea.

wilbar, and then I, asked several threads ago if you had spoken to the dogs trust yet?

you have posted threads with various issues.
but its all just one problem really
you have a high drive dog whom isnt receiving the right stimulation for his needs, so you need coaching yourself.
so like you say, its best going to the people whom homed the dog to you and can provide training assistance, instead of just posting up further threads showing that your dog is inevitably finding more inappropriate expression for his frustration.

i know of the behaviour section at the DT - which branch did you get him from?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 03:24 PM
My suggestion of using a dog walker or sitter no good then?
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 04:32 PM
The problem is not the dog just being left all day but you have to remember it is also left all night while you sleep, so I am afraid it will seek you out for attention and let off steam in the evenings.
When I was working and had to leave my dogs during the day I tried a dog walker but although she run a proper dog walking buisness I found she was not giving my dogs the hour I had booked but only about 20 mins and charging more than i could afford for the privilige.
So I advertised in some local shops for someone to come into my dogs during the day and play with them. Not walk them just give them time and wear off a bit of energy. I got some idiots apply but I also got a very lovely lady who couldn't have her own dog but loved them and she came in at whatever time I asked and would stay an hour sometimes 2 just to be with them. I only paid her £5 as money was tight but she done it more for the opportunity and pleasure of being round dogs.
My dogs absolutly adored her too.
It may be an idea that you could put into practice. I understand you may have to work but if you take on the commitment of a dog then its mental and physical well being is down to you and I am not saying that nastily or with spite, because if you want the best for your dog which I think you probably do then you really have to look at doing something to break up your poor dogs day or your problems are just going to get worse and worse.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3