View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 07:46 AM
If you think that's confusing, don't even attempt to show in Ireland under FCI rules! We have the added feature of gradings at Champ shows so even if a dog wins it's class, if the grading it not "excellent" (and quite often the grade can be "very good" or "good" ) you can't go in for the challenge. It's because we have low entries, it's to stop dogs being made up when they don't merit it, just by turning up and finding they are the only one there. In Dalmatians, we have had a number of tickets and reserves withheld this year as no dogs - or only one dog or bitch achieved the appropriate grading.
At international shows, not all classes qualify for the CACIB and dogs must be over 15 months to be eligible for it; but if your dog is, say, 16 months old it can go into Junior OR Intermediate (you can't enter more than one class) but Junior winners may not compete for the CACIB even if the dog is over 15 months, nor may Veteran, and Puppies cannot compete for the Green Star which is awarded at the same time. (But they can go into the puppy group if they are best puppy, but again if their grading is not the best they are not eligible for best puppy).
Having been stewarding this year, it's been ....... interesting!
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
thanks megan,, as always very well worded and easy to digest,,, but its still confusing on the whole,,, I guess you need to study the catalogue if in junior and see what age the other dogs are and so on,,, Im not surprised some judges and stewards dont even know the correct placing of dogs,, good on you for sticking your neck out with the dog and the reserve,,, you just wouldnt get that in rotts,,,its all me me me me me,, lol, good on ya,
Your welcome.
Having a look at a catalogue is a good idea. There are some good stewarding courses which go into the rules and regs and give examples so it makes sense.
If you don't get many up there, a good idea would be go and shadow steward at some open shows. It really gives you a good incite of the other side.
The first thing you do when you steward, is go through the catalogue and check DOB in all classes as at some open shows where there are a few classes you can have pups all the way to open. I find stewarding really interesting and as enjoyable as exhibiting itself (but maybe i'm just sad )
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 12:06 PM
thanks Deccy, I have to say its hard enough getting to grips with the uk rules,,,could be a long time before Im brave enough to take on the irish lot,,,lol
Is there not a thing in the uk, that to gain a cc the dog must have beat a set number of dogs,,, or have I got it wrong?
thanks too megan,,, I have never thought about stewarding nor becoming a judge,,, I think if im compeating in a breed I would rather not judge but I had never gave a thought to it being a way to learn more about the rules,,,which is very dense of me when you think about it, that said as you mentioned a fair few stewards or judges dont really know the rules, I have probably missed several oppertunitys due to not knowing the rules and just going off when I may be called back,,the thing is there is not a sole in my breed who would come and tell you,,,,they would just say nowt {with the exception of two kennels who I believe would mention it if the noticed} ah the joys of the back stabbing rotty rings, lol
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 12:20 PM
What a greatly informative thread! I knew none of this before now (not that it affects me at the moment as Marius and I still have to attend a show yet lol )

Why don't they simplify these rules so they are easier to understand and less confusing! If it happened to me I wouldn't automatically know to go back in the ring without someone jabbing me with a stick shouting "Oi you - get back in" lol
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
thanks Deccy, I have to say its hard enough getting to grips with the uk rules,,,could be a long time before Im brave enough to take on the irish lot,,,lol
Is there not a thing in the uk, that to gain a cc the dog must have beat a set number of dogs,,, or have I got it wrong?
thanks too megan,,, I have never thought about stewarding nor becoming a judge,,, I think if im compeating in a breed I would rather not judge but I had never gave a thought to it being a way to learn more about the rules,,,which is very dense of me when you think about it, that said as you mentioned a fair few stewards or judges dont really know the rules, I have probably missed several oppertunitys due to not knowing the rules and just going off when I may be called back,,the thing is there is not a sole in my breed who would come and tell you,,,,they would just say nowt {with the exception of two kennels who I believe would mention it if the noticed} ah the joys of the back stabbing rotty rings, lol
I think the thing to remember, especially at Champ shows is if you come second in a class, have your dog ready in case you are called in. Remember the judge doesn't have to call you, unless the reason I mentioned before (when the dog came second to me in Open)
Definately steward you'd enjoy it. Most clubs welcome stewards as there's a shortage. I would say steward at open shows first or a breed show as a shadow, then's there's no pressure.
I love judging my breed. I'm not saying you don't need to have a thick skin as someone is always going to be upset with your decision. However I think you learn so much more about your breed by going over other dogs in the breed and comparing them to the standard.
In regards to the cc you mentioned above. Any dog can win it out of the dogs entered. As long as CC's are on offer in your breed. There are some breeds that have a single cc on offer only, so the best bitch challenges against the best dog. I don't believe this occurs in your breed though being large entries.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Deccy are the rules about grading now in Ireland the same as the gradings we get in GSDs from German judges where you can't get a v(excellent) grading until the dog is 18 months or older? Very good being the top gradings for young dogs from 6 to 18 months.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 04:23 PM
It's not quite the same, and it varies between National and International champ shows.
For both, puppies (up to 12 months) are graded "promising" or "very promising", only the latter can go through to BPIB (International shows) or Green Star (National shows). For all others, grades are excellent, very good, good, sufficient, and "cannot be judged". Only "excellent" can go forward to the challenge, all can go for Green Star although you cannot make up a dog until he/she has won a Green Star after 15 months of age. For International shows, only "excellent" from Intermediate, Open and Champion classes for each sex can complete for the CACIB.
As Internationals award Green Stars and CACIBS this can get very complicated, in one class where I was stewarding, the winner of veteran dog got the Green Star, Champion class winner took reserve, but the Champion class winner got the CACIB as the veteran winner was not eligible. This is before the judge starts bringing in "only beaten by winner" to challenge - which winner do you count????
Maybe this is why International shows have two stewards at present, usually in deep discussion with the judge! However, my two international judges so far have been from Hungary and Sweden and they were both highly experienced which helped us poor stewards immensely.
Morgandy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-09-2007, 12:15 AM
This is an interesting thread. I have learnt some more rules too. I don't think i will be competing in Ireland just yet!!! How disheartening to think you have just done so well only to not make the grade. I feel sorry for the exhibitor who gets the cannot be judged result. Still as they say we all take the best dog home!!!
spettadog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Hi there

I got a second in Junior Bitch at SKC. The first time I had ever shown and the first time my dog had ever shown. We were delighted. The dog that beat us went on to win best bitch. Does that mean that we could have been called back in to see if we would win reserve best dog? If so, I'm gutted!!!! I went home as I was a bag of nerves!!! My breed is still on the import register although we come off it in January 2008!!!

Spettadog
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by spettadog View Post
Hi there

I got a second in Junior Bitch at SKC. The first time I had ever shown and the first time my dog had ever shown. We were delighted. The dog that beat us went on to win best bitch. Does that mean that we could have been called back in to see if we would win reserve best dog? If so, I'm gutted!!!! I went home as I was a bag of nerves!!!

Spettadog
Yep you may have been called back!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >