Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
I did say that I appreciate that the method is not always practical or appropriate in every case!! And I do realise that it can be idealistic if you take on an adult puller ~ it's far, far more difficult to break long-running habits than it is to teach a correct behaviour from the start.

But if you have a dog without any behavioural problems, that can be walked off lead the vast majority of the time, then it can be done.

Moon's Mum & Krlyr ~ not for one minute do I think you're "lazy" ~ I know how much you've taken on with Cain & from all accounts you're doing a brilliant job with not the easiest dog in the world! So for you & Krlyr a head collar/halti is probably just sensible.

I was talking more about owners that don't bother with training a small pup from the beginning then suddenly find their arms being yanked out of their sockets 6 months later. It is possible to overcome the pulling using the method I suggested but only if you are able to do off lead walks in the meantime.
Honestly, I meant it when I said my comments weren't directed at anyone here. I just get sick of mumbles behind my back in the park of "that poor dog, it's never off a lead and look how it pulls, why doesn't she train it?" I want to scream, if you can do better then come and do it! They have no idea of the effort that's gone into him, I simply meant that people are quick to judge and pulling dogs can be tremendous hard work.

Also, when it can be done, I think the method is very good. I get so sick of being dragged everywhere, I love walking my dog but I've cone home in tears, with aching arms and bruises so many times! If I ever get a puppy then I shall certainly be following it because I never want to go through this again!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Ditto to Amanda, it wasn't personal, honest! I would just rather see a "lazy" owner rely on a headcollar (used properly!) to ensure the dog does at least get walked once a day, than decide it's too much effort to go out if they have to load the car up, get the family sorted, etc. and not walk the dog at all. Even if it's just that buying a headcollar gives them the chance to realise dog walks can be enjoyable again, if they've had months of the frustration of a pulling dog, and that reminder spurs them on to train the dog properly.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I would just rather see a "lazy" owner rely on a headcollar (used properly!) to ensure the dog does at least get walked once a day, than decide it's too much effort to go out if they have to load the car up, get the family sorted, etc. and not walk the dog at all.

Brilliant point methinks!

Me too! I'm all for whatever is best for dogs and if an owner doesn't have the skill, strength or time to train to walk properly then so be it. At least the dog has a home and an owner willing to buy a tool to work around it.

In an ideal world, all dog owners would have dogs that travel, cars to travel them in, oodles of time to train, endless patience with even the toughest dogs, natural or aquired skill to succeed in training.

But it isn't an ideal world, its the real world and if a headcollar is the way forward for some owners then I think that that is cool.

If an owner WANTS the dog to walk nicely on the lead then they have to dedicate time, energy, skill and structure to their training, but if they just want to excercise their dog then they just want to excercise their dog.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Honestly, I meant it when I said my comments weren't directed at anyone here. I just get sick of mumbles behind my back in the park of "that poor dog, it's never off a lead and look how it pulls, why doesn't she train it?" I want to scream, if you can do better then come and do it! They have no idea of the effort that's gone into him, I simply meant that people are quick to judge and pulling dogs can be tremendous hard work.

Also, when it can be done, I think the method is very good. I get so sick of being dragged everywhere, I love walking my dog but I've cone home in tears, with aching arms and bruises so many times! If I ever get a puppy then I shall certainly be following it because I never want to go through this again!
Oh, poor you. Some dogs are incredibly difficult to get to walk to heel. Where do you live? If you live anywhere in the Midlands, then come see me. I will help you.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
Oh, poor you. Some dogs are incredibly difficult to get to walk to heel. Where do you live? If you live anywhere in the Midlands, then come see me. I will help you.
Aw thank you, that's a nice offer, sadly I'm away down in London

Karly, you explained it well on the thread, I'll give the 300 peck method a go. The only thing that worries me is that it relys on an interest in treats, where as Cain totally ignores treats often....even being in our own garden can be distracting enough for him to ignore food! However we'll certainly give it a crack (p.s. He will walk perfectly to heel in training class and within the house...he just can't transfer the skills outside!)
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3