Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I guess much depends on what you want from a forum,

I tend to come here to chat to like minded people, have the odd debate about all things doggy,

so Its more of a social thing for me,
Same here.

On the question are they dangerous, then yes they can be, and to be honest, forums would not be my first port of call if I need help or advice on any given subject... thats not to say they dont play a crucial part in education for those who come asking...they also play a part in talking your frustrations over when you have a worry or young pup to deal with, as its always good to here you are not the only one pulling your hair out.

But what we need to understand.... anyone can be or pretend to be anyone in this cyder world we all frequent.

And that can be from the person asking to the person giving !!

My personal use of forms is to talk to like minded people , sometimes learning things along the way... I also have to say I have made some very special friends from the doggy forum world (not jus there)

Equally, there will be as many dodgy people who surf the net, praying on others, for many reasons.

I have a couple of strict rules for the world of forums..

Never give personal details out for all to see.

Never ever post pics of children on the net... this is something I feel extremely strong about.

I think they can be a wonderful place to make friends, learn new things, give your experience on subjects, maybe helping others along the way.

But personally if I have worries the fist thing I do is call my vet or someone I know who will be able set me on the right track.

I have heard some very disturbing stories of people being taken in on the net.. we have seen it happen here a few times.

To sum up, they can be a good meeting place, as long as you remember , to be careful
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2009, 02:38 PM
I use another forum where your popularity seems to be the reason that you are taken notice of. There are two or three very knowledgeable people but a person who has had one dog that they rehomed at a young age and now has a 6 month old puppy is the person who gets taken notice of purely because she is always online and has a lot of posts.
Yes they are really dangerous for the first time owner, so much bad advice.
I can never understand anyone asking a question on a forum when their dog obviously needs a vet!!!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-05-2009, 02:45 PM
every forum i have been on, every time someone asks a medical question, everyone just tells them to see a vet
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2009, 03:11 PM
I agree with Shona, it very much depends on what you are here/there for.

Dogsey for me is somewhere I go to chat, read about others escapades with their dogs, tell stories about my dogs where people want to hear it and not roll their eyes at "yet another doggy story"

Yes, I ask for advice sometimes and have had some great tips but I would also use common sense for anything more serious and seek the advice of a vet. My breeder is usually my first point of call (fab lady) and I still tend to research things she tells me.

For a first time dog owner, a great place to meet like minded people but not really for serious medical advice.

I only belong to one other dog forum which is a pei one and we are pretty close knit as there are not many of us about (pei owners)

I dont think anything you read on the internet should be taken as "read" anyone could be anyone so I would advise everyone to do their own research and seek professional opinions if need be.

Common sense plays a big part in anything you do.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I guess much depends on what you want from a forum,

I tend to come here to chat to like minded people, have the odd debate about all things doggy,

so Its more of a social thing for me,
I am just on forums as a social thing too but I have seen people who seem to be on forums with the sole purpose of asking for advice
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
I am just on forums as a social thing too but I have seen people who seem to be on forums with the sole purpose of asking for advice
i think that ok, as long as they dont sod off without replying to their replies, which i find rude
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
i think that ok, as long as they dont sod off without replying to their replies, which i find rude

Yep, I agree, that is so annoying and rude

I came onto Dogsey when we got Ben, as never had a BC before I did a bit of surfing and found Dogsey by accident. I love to read peoples stories of their ups and downs with their dogs, and everyday life.
I have taken advice and it has always been well given and recieved.
I think you get to know who you can trust and who you cant.
Not many cant's on here though

Elaine xx
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2009, 05:00 PM
i only tend to comment on things i have esperienced myself and then only to share what i did, or what happened.

Forums can be dangerous places, and i feel that some people see them as a way to save themselves money, as they think a quick google and ask for advice and they will be all ok. I would always recommend that people see a vet for medical issues, and someone that you trust for training or behavioural issues, because you just can't judge these things without seeing the dog and how the owner is with the dog..

Myself i will read things and take bits and pieces, but if something is wrong with my dogs i see a vet, and when i have needed training advice i have found a trainer that i trust and worked with them.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2009, 05:57 PM
i cant say dangerous.... just sometimes people get bullied easily as people are more likely to kick off on a forum than say it to soemones face......

but i think the dangers are the addiction to forums :P lol

im on both horse and dog forums now and its hard to keep up lol
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2009, 06:17 PM
I think its quite good for medical stuff, like what is this? type of post.

Im mainley on here for the social doggy side, to learn abit, to lookn at the piccies & to show everyone how fabulous my dogs are.

I do also like to try to help abit with a basic training, motivational side, if people want to try a few of my ideas thats great, they wont hurt any dog.

i feel they can be dangerous at times with advice that can easily make the dog worse, the main thing i think to assatain "has the OP read the situation correctly" which is why i try to ask MORE questions before answering a question!!!!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >